Learning In the Country 2019
The University Farm is a beautiful 400-acre property in Hunting Valley, Ohio, that features forests, ravines, waterfalls, meadows, ponds, and a self-contained watershed. Owned by Case Western Reserve University, the farm has a number of buildings designed for educational, research, and recreational purposes.
Farm Continuing Education Program classes take advantage of the spectacular surroundings for inspiration and as a setting for learning about nature, cultivation, and the environment. Courses may include: Painting Outdoors, Dyes and Silks, Honey Bees Biology, Nature Walk and Birds and Breakfast.
2019 Course Offerings
The Farm Administration is offering again this year several Foraging classes May - September.
Learn how to safely identify, sustainable harvest and prepare wild flora and fungi. Class involves a large amount of hiking through the woods. Boots or hiking shoes, long pants, water bottles, bug spray and sunscreen highly recommended.
Instructor, Ryan Bennett, former chef now Farm Food Program Coordinator for Case Western Reserve University's Squire Valleevue and Valley Ridge Farm, has spent over a decade foraging throughout northeast Ohio for local restaurants
Course sessions will take place on the following Saturdays, from 10:00am - 1:00pm:
- May 25, June 1 and June 8, 2019
- June 29, July 6 and July 13
- September 21 and 28, Oct. 5, 2019
Course Fee: $75. Each class will be limited to 12 participants (5 minimum confirmed registrations to hold class). Participants must be at least 18 years old to register for the course.
To register and make course fee payment for one of the above 3 course offerings, please access registration link below
Siegal Lifelong Learning Summer in the Country 2019 Course Offerings.
- Writing Creative Nonfiction I: Tuesdays, April 23-May 28, 2019, 1-3 p.m. (six sessions)
- Writing Creative Nonfiction II: Wednesdays, April 24-May 29, 2019, 1-3 p.m. (six sessions)
- Poetry Workshop: Thursdays, April 25-May 30, 2019, 1-3 p.m. (six sessions)
- Birds & Breakfast: Friday, May 3-June 7, 2019, 6:30-9 a.m. (six sessions)
- Walking Through Nature: Wednesdays, June 5, 12, 19, 2019, 10 a.m.-noon (three sessions)
- Painting in the Outdoors: Fridays, June 7-28, 2019, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (four session)