The Spoken English Language Partners offer the following services for CWRU undergraduate, graduate and professional students seeking to improve their spoken English skills.
What can a typical appointment with a language partner include?
During your first visit, you will be asked to complete a brief diagnostic that will help the partner assess your conversation, presentation and pronunciation skills. For the rest of your appointments, we encourage you to use your session to work on any of the following with your partner:
- Review pronunciation of terms in your area of study
- Receive immediate feedback on your pronunciation
- Diagnose your pronunciation and then work on specific pronunciation just for you
- Work one-on-one with an experienced Language Partner
- Practice stress and intonation
- Practice important vocabulary for your field
- Meet periodically with a Language Partner for informal, fun conversation
- Learn more idioms
- Ask questions about American culture and CWRU campus culture
- Organize your presentation
- Practice your presentation and get immediate feedback
- Video record your presentation and review the video with the Language Partner
CLASS PARTICIPATION PRACTICE
- Practice contributing to class discussions
- Review and discuss your assignments with the Language Partner
- Work on increasing your speed in answering questions with "rapid fire" question activities
DISCUSSION LEADER OR TEACHING CONCERNS
- Role play your discussion with the Language Partner
- Experiment with commonly-used dialogue
- Work on fluency and smooth conversation techniques
How do I schedule an appointment?
To set up a one-on-one tutoring meeting for either 30 or 60 minutes, log on to TutorTrac using your CWRU id (ex. abc123) and password. Click on "Go to… Make Appointment" and choose "Spoken English Tutoring."
If you have any questions about the Language Partners, please contact Elise Geither.