Family Resources

Sweet Kiddles Child Care

Graduate and professional students at CWRU can enroll their children at Sweet Kiddles Flexible Childcare Centers. Students will manage all aspects of enrolling their children. At time of enrollment, students need to inform Sweet Kiddles staff of their status at CWRU and provide their CWRU email address; Sweet Kiddles staff will verify status with the School of Graduate Studies.

Children may be enrolled at any Sweet Kiddles center in Northeast Ohio. The closest site to campus is within the Centric Apartments complex adjacent to Uptown and the Cleveland Institute of Art (1999 Circle Dr., Suite A).

For each student with any children enrolled, CWRU will pay the $125 annual family membership fee (for new enrollments) and provide a maximum of $1000 for child care. Any expenses for programs or services beyond this subsidy are the responsibility of the student. The student will not submit any expenses or receipts to CWRU; Sweet Kiddles will submit monthly invoices to the university.

All students in the School of Graduate Studies and all post-baccalaureate students in professional schools at CWRU with children are eligible. The $125 annual fee and the $1000 subsidy are applicable only in periods when the student is enrolled in good standing.

Questions, including eligibility, should be emailed to

The Music Settlement Early Childhood Programs

The Music Settlement offers traditional pre-school and kindergarten programs that provide diverse, multi-cultural experiences through discussion, science, drama, music, stories, and sensory experiences. 

Courses foster brain and social development, build confidence, inspire, encourage creative expression, and promote play. The Settlement is a:

  • 5-Star Award from Ohio's Step Up to Quality rating program.
  • Licensed provider for Ohio Department of Job & Family Services (ODJFS).
  • Partner of Cleveland's PRE4CLE initiative

The university will continue to provide a $1,000 subsidy for each child of Case Western Reserve faculty, staff or students who is enrolled in The Music Settlement’s full-day or half-day preschool programs or kindergarten for the 2022-23 school year. The subsidy can be used at the University Circle and Ohio City locations. 

The university also will continue to cover the $75 registration fee for these early childhood programs. 

Please note the requirements on HR's website.

Learn more about The Music Settlement preschool and kindergarten programs, including tuitionenrollment and financial aid information or browse this list of FAQs. Families also may complete an application online. Virtual tours are available.

Child Care Support During Travel

Child care can become particularly challenging when a parent must take a trip for work or study—for example, a conference, a research opportunity, or out-of-town meeting. As a result, the university has established a fund to supplement a portion of the additional costs of care. These resources can support care for a child who travels to the event or for the child at home while the adult faculty, staff, or student travels.

Eligibility requirements

  • Graduate and Undergraduate students taking classes during the semester in which child care support for travel is sought.

General conditions

  • Reimbursement is available only for dependent care expenses incurred when traveling to attend professional meetings, conferences, workshops and professional development opportunities.
  • Only expenses incurred for an “eligible dependent” are reimbursable. An eligible dependent follows Internal Revenue Service definitions. In general, an eligible dependent must be under age 13.
  • Child care expenses incurred during domestic travel may be reimbursed up to $100 per day and expenses incurred during international travel may be reimbursed up to $150 per day. A person is limited to reimbursements totaling $1,000 per fiscal year.
  • An application form may be submitted when the need for child care during professional travel is known.
  • The reason for travel must be substantiated and authorized by:
    • Faculty Advisor for students
  • An application form must be submitted for each trip that results in incremental childcare costs.
  • Per day cost of child care should be listed or documentation of expense for child to travel with parent must be provided.
  • Reimbursement will occur after the application form and appropriate expense and travel documentation are reviewed and approved by Benefits Administration.

How do I apply for the benefit?

An application form should be submitted when the need for child care during professional travel is known. The professional/business purpose of the travel must be substantiated, including appropriate authorization from a Department Chair for faculty members, Supervisor for staff employees or Faculty Advisor for students.

Please include in the application the anticipated schedule of care.

Print the Application Form here.

What is the amount of benefit I can receive?

The actual cost of child care will be reimbursed up to $100 per day during domestic travel and up to $150 per day during international travel. The maximum cumulative benefit is $1,000 per person. Please note that the reimbursement is a taxable benefit.

When will I receive my reimbursement for child care expenses?

The reimbursement payment will be made after the professional travel is completed. Appropriate documentation of the child care expenses and of the travel must be submitted in order to receive reimbursement.

Lactation Rooms

Lactation Rooms are provided around the university to nursing mothers. See the full list of rooms available here

Pregnancy Accommodations

The Office of Equity manages any Pregnancy Accommodations you may need, including but not limited to:

  • Academic support
    • Extended deadlines
    • Flexible exam scheduling
    • Excused absences
    • Grades of incomplete
    • Remote learning
  • Temporary parking in a closer location
  • Job modifications, including reassignment to others of non-essential duties
  • Modification of workplace policies, including attendance policies
  • Purchasing or modifying equipment and devices (chairs, desks, floor mats etc.)
  • Modified work schedule
  • Leave of absence (which may be unpaid)
  • Temporary assignment to a light duty position
  • Frequent breaks
    • Nursing
    • Fatigue

Parental Leave Policy

The School of Graduate Studies Parental Leave Policy can be found on the Policies & Procedures website or the Annual Bulletin. 

School of Graduate Studies students who are enrolled and receiving a stipend at the time of the birth, adoption, or foster placement are entitled to up to eight (8) weeks of paid parental leave at 100% of the eligible student’s stipend.