The BAKER MATERIALS HANDLlNG CO. was an outgrowth of Baker-Raulang, which survived as a company by refocusing its business from the manufacture of electric cars to the production of mobile trucks and equipment for the materials-handling industry.
BAKER, EDWARD MOSE (MAX) (18 Aug. 1875-17 Feb. 1957), broker and philanthropist, was one of the founders of the Fed. of Jewish Charities. Born in Erie, Pa., to Isaac and Bertha (Ernhorn) Baker, he received his bachelor's degree from the University of Chicago in 1898, afterwards studying philosophy and sociology and for the rabbinate under his uncle, renowned Reform rabbi Emil Hirsch.
BAKER, ELBERT H. (25 July 1854-27 Sept. 1933), was the "fourth founder" of the PLAIN DEALER. Born in Norwalk, Ohio to Henry and Clara Maria (Hall) Baker, his family came to Cleveland in 1865, moving to Kansas City in 1870.
BAKER, HENRY M. (2 Jan. 1856-12 Aug. 1929), active in Jewish benevolent associations, was born in Erie, Pa., the son of Kennard and Barbara Beitman Baker. He came to Cleveland in 1886, and after the turn of the century, became involved in real estate.
BAKER, NEWTON DIEHL (3 Dec. 1871-25 Dec. 1937), was mayor of Cleveland (1912-16) and Secretary of War under Pres. Woodrow Wilson. Born in Martinsburg, W. Va., to Newton Diehl and Mary Ann Dukehart Baker, he graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1892, and received his law degree from Washington & Lee University in 1894.
BAKER, WALTER C. (27 June 1868-26 Apr. 1955), an engineer, helped found the American Ball Bearing Co. and developed automobile parts. Born in Hinsdale, N.H., to George W. and Jeanette Rowene (Hall) Baker, the family came to Cleveland in 1871. Baker's father, an inventor, helped organize the White Sewing Machine Co. and the Cleveland Machine Screw Co.
BALDWIN RESERVOIR of the Baldwin Filtration Plant and Fairmount Pumping Station is believed to be one of the largest covered reservoirs in the world. Completed in 1925 to store the treated water from the filtration plant before distribution to the service area, the underground clearwater reservoir is an engineering marvel. It is 500' wide, 1,000' long, and 35' deep and has a capacity of 135 million gallons.
BALDWIN, CHARLES CANDEE (2 Dec. 1834-2 Feb. 1895), was a corporate lawyer, circuit judge, and founder of the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Born in Middletown, Conn., to Seymour Wesley and Mary (Candee) Baldwin, he and his family moved to Elyria, but returned to Connecticut in 1847.
BALDWIN, LILLIAN LUVERNE (1888-September 11, 1960) served the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS for a quarter-century as supervisor of music appreciation. She was born in Marion, Indiana, and received her undergraduate education at Glendale College.
BALDWIN, NORMAN C. (29 July 1802-12 June 1887), a prominent businessman and politician in Cleveland and OHIO CITY during the mid-1800s, was born in Goshen, Conn., to Stephen and Susannah (Adams) Baldwin. He came to Hudson at 15 and opened a general store there. His experience as a merchant led him, in 1829, to form a partnership with Noble H.
BALDWIN, SAMUEL S. (ca. 1776-12 July 1822), was an early Cleveland and Cuyahoga County public official. Born in Ridgefield, Conn., to Samuel and Hannah (Northrup) Baldwin, he moved to a farm in NEWBURGH in 1808 and dabbled in real estate with LEONARD CASE. Baldwin's short public career revolved around politics.
BALDWIN-WALLACE UNIVERSITY (formerly Baldwin-Wallace College) is a liberal-arts university related to the United Methodist church. Located in BEREA, the college's campus extends from Eastland Rd. to Front St., and from E. 5th Ave. to Center St. In 1995 the total plant consisted of 54 buildings on 56 acres. The roots of the college date back to Mar.
BALDWlN, JOHN (ca. 13 Oct. 1799-ca 28 Dec. 1884) was a successful businessman and educator who used his wealth to promote righteous and intellectual living. Baldwin was born in North Branford, Connecticut, the son of Joseph and Rosanna (Meloy) Baldwin. Although largely self-taught, he acquired enough academic training to hold several teaching positions.
BALL, ERNEST R. (22 July 1878-3 May 1927), composed many popular songs from 1904-27. Born in Cleveland to Anna (Kocker) and Ernest Adelbert Ball, he studied at the Cleveland Conservatory before moving to New York where he became a vaudeville pianist and traveled throughout the U.S. Later, Litmark Music Publishing House hired him as a demonstrator and staff composer.
BALL, WEBB C. (6 Oct. 1846-6 March 1922) regulated the watches of most of the nation's railroads as a sideline of his Cleveland jewelry business. Born on a farm in Knox County, O., he was the son of Aaron and Sidney Ann Clay Ball. He began his jewelry apprenticeship in 1869 in Fredericktown, O., and joined the Deuber Watch Case Co. of Cincinnati in 1874.
The BALTIMORE & OHIO RAILROAD, which owned several railroads serving the Cleveland area, was acquired by the CHESAPEAKE & OHIO in 1962, and the merged railroad, renamed the Chessie System, became part of the CSX CORP. in 1980. The Baltimore & Ohio was chartered in Maryland on 28 Feb.
BALTO was the sled dog who became a national hero, symbolizing rescue efforts to get supplies of diphtheria antitoxin serum to Nome, Alaska. When diphtheria threatened Nome in Jan. 1925, the city found itself without a supply of antitoxin and, almost completely isolated by the arctic winter, the only means of travel being by dog-sled over the frozen tundra.
BANCOHIO NATIONAL BANK was a major banking presence in the Cleveland area for more than a decade after its acquisition of Capital Natl. Bank. Capital Natl. was incorporated by Alex and Paul Wintner in 1929 as a state bank with $125,000 capital. Located at 1011 Huron Rd., Capital pioneered in mortgage loans guaranteed by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) under the New Deal. By 1946 control of Capital Natl.
BANDLOW, ROBERT (4 June 1852-29 Jan. 1911) was an organizer for the Central Labor Union, predecessor to the CLEVELAND FED. OF LABOR, and for many years the business editor of the CLEVELAND CITIZEN. Born in Germany to Henry and Caroline Bandlow, the family immigrated to Cleveland in 1854.
BANDS. Paid professional instrumental groups of any size, but restricted to woodwinds, brasses, and percussion, bands primarily played outdoor concerts and provided march music for parades. Until ca. 1840, Cleveland had virtually no organized bands that could qualify as professional.
BANG, EDWARD F. "ED" (28 Apr. 1880-27 Apr. 1968) was sports editor of the CLEVELAND NEWS for 53 years. Born in Sandusky, Ohio, to Charles and Rose Bang, he worked at the Sandusky Register and then in Youngstown before he was hired by the News. He succeeded Grantland Rice as sports editor in 1907.
BANK ONE CLEVELAND NA was created when the Columbus-based Banc One Corp. took over the former Euclid Natl. Bank (ENB). Euclid Natl. began in 1953 as the Euclid Savings Assn. with $45 million in assets and was converted to a national bank in 1966, changing its name to Euclid Natl. Bank. In 1975 ENB became a subsidiary of the Winters Natl.
BANKS AND SAVINGS & LOANS. During the canal era Cleveland was an intermediary center of trade and commerce, and as the network of railroads displaced canals as a more reliable form of transport, the city became an industrial center.
The BANKS-BALDWIN LAW PUBLISHING CO., located in Cleveland since 1932, is the oldest law publishing house in the U.S. David Banks established the firm of Gould & Banks in New York in 1804 in order to publish law books that would be less expensive than those imported from England. After Banks's death in 1871, his sons continued the business as Banks & Bros., but in 1880 two sons divided the company. David Banks, Jr.
The BAPTIST BROTHERHOOD was active in Progressive Era moral reform efforts, with its most substantial work directed toward stopping Sunday liquor sales. In 1911 a mass meeting of Baptists at the Euclid Ave. Baptist Church decided to wage an all-out war against drinking and vice. During that year over 200 Brothers visited 1630 of the 1950 saloons in Cleveland and found 1534 of them open on Sunday Sabbath.
BAPTISTS. The Baptists of Cleveland come from 2 distinct historical traditions, both ultimately derived from English Baptists and, before them, from the Anabaptist groups of the Continent. Cleveland's white Baptists developed fairly directly from the English tradition, as believers brought the religion from England to New England, and then to western settlements such as Cleveland.
BARBER, GERSHOM M. (2 Oct. 1823-20 July 1903), was an educator, lawyer, and judge who also served in the CIVIL WAR. Born in Groton, N.Y., to Phineas and Orpha Barber, he came to Berlin Twp., Ohio with his family at age 7.
BARDONS & OLIVER, INC., is one of the chief machine-tool firms in Cleveland. Two former Warner & Swasey officials, Geo. Bardons and John Oliver, founded the firm in 1891 at 3 Water (W. 9th) St. Originally it manufactured bicycle hubs and the machines to make them; eventually it became a major manufacturer of turret lathes and parts, special machinery, and pipe and tube mill equipment.
BARDOUN, FRANK J. (3 Oct. 1905-3 Dec. 1988) was prominently involved in the affairs of Cleveland's CZECHS for more than half a century. A native Clevelander, the son of Louis and Mary Plantner Bardoun, he was a graduate of EAST TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL.
BARKER OFFICE SUPPLY CO., for many years known as S. Barker & Sons Co., is the oldest office-supply house in Cleveland. On 7 June 1871, Samuel Barker opened a small printing business in a room on Union Ln., with 2 small presses, a small steam engine, a hand cutter, and stationery stock. Within a few years it moved into the Atwater Bldg. on the Old Viaduct.
BARNARD, MAXWELL ("MAX") VOSPER (6 April 1884-3 Feb. 1978) became known through his primitive artwork as the "Grandpa Moses" of CHAGRIN FALLS. Born in Auburn Twp., Geauga County, he was the son of Jay and Lena Barnard and grandson of one of the early settlers of Chagrin Falls.
BARNETT, JAMES (21 June 1821-13 Jan. 1911), a businessman, politician, soldier, and philanthropist, organized many charities. Born in Cherry Valley, N.Y., to Melancthon and Mary (Clark), the family moved to Cleveland in 1825.
BARNUM, FRANK SEYMOUR (25 Nov. 1850-17 Dec. 1927) was an architect who designed and supervised the construction of over 75 Cleveland public school buildings, and was among the first architects to utilize modern building techniques in his designs.
BARR, JOHN (26 Jan. 1804-24 Jan. 1875) Cleveland's first magistrate and local historian, was born in Hartford, Trumbull County, the son of Thomas and Suzanna Barr. The Barr family came to Euclid Township in 1810 when Thomas Barr was appointed the first pastor of the FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF EAST CLEVELAND.
BARRICELLI, GIOVANNI ALFONSO (22 Feb. 1873-16 Apr. 1934) was a cardiopulmonary specialist but is best known as one of the early leaders of the Italian community in Cleveland. Born in Benevento, Italy, to Pietro and Lucia (Cangelicri) Barricelli, he attended the University of Naples, completing courses in physics and chemistry.
BARRY, FRANK T. (9 Feb. 1881-31 Jan. 1956), a minister and social worker, founded and directed Woodland Ctr. Neighborhood House for over 30 years. Born in Lincoln, Nebr., and growing up in Topeka, Kans., he graduated from Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, Ill. (1905); from McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, (1908); and from Northwestern University (1912).
BARTON, THOMAS C. (b. 1831- ), a U.S. Navy seaman who received the Congressional Medal of Honor during the CIVIL WAR, was born in Cleveland. Barton was on board the USS Hunchback when it attempted to rescue an army detachment surrounded by Confederate troops near Franklin, Virginia. During a ship-to-shore bombardment 3 Oct.
The BASEBALL WORLD SERIES has been played in Cleveland 6 times, when the CLEVELAND INDIANS won the American League championship in 1920, 1948, 1954, 1995, 1997, and 2016. They went on to win the series in 1920 and 1948. Cleveland played the Brooklyn Dodgers in a best-of-9 series in 1920.