Regular everyday trash.
Household Hazardous Wastes
These are hazardous wastes found in the home. These materials are not regulated in a home setting. These same materials are regulated in a place of business such as CWRU. Many solid waste/municipal waste disposers will not accept a hazardous waste from a household even though household hazardous wastes are not regulated for disposal. Items commonly found in household wastes that a solid waste disposer does not want in the trash include:
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL): contains mercury;
- Computers and other electronics: contains lead;
- Fluorescent lamps: contains mercury;
- Oil-based paints: The solvent is mineral spirits. Mercury might be present along with other heavy metals;
- Water-based paint with heavy metal-based pigments: Includes lead, chrome, etc.