End of Appointment/Resignation/Termination Process
Fellows and scholars may not be dismissed from a laboratory without a 90 day notice, and may only be immediately terminated for "just cause" such as grave misconduct or serious neglect of professional responsibilities. Even at the end of an appointment period, PIs need to supply a 90 day notice to the postdoc if they are not renewing their contract. This allows the postdoc time to secure another position and make necessary arrangements.
For Ends of Appointment, Resignations, or Terminations:
Do I have to physically be at work on my last day? Yes, the Policy states 'Vacation, sick time, or holidays cannot extend the last day of employment; an employee must actually work their last day, or the last day of employment will revert to the last day worked."
Termination of Employment paperwork should be filled out and turned in to HR Records (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs: (look under the Employment section on HR's website for the forms listed below)
- Employee Termination Checklist (turn in keys, parking pass, data, etc prior to leaving the university)
- Exit Interview (only needs submitted to HR, not the Postdoc Office)
- Personnel Action Form
- Must be signed by your department and supervisor.
- Please note: Postdoc Scholars are eligible to be paid for any unused vacation time (not postdoc Fellows); indicate any unused vacation time on this form.
- Copy of the letter of resignation (if applicable)
- Your medical benefits will end on the last day of the month you leave the university. Whether your last day is on the 1st, 15th, or 31st of the month, coverage ends on the last day of that month. Please be aware of any gaps in coverage and ask your new employer when their health insurance coverage will begin.
- Gallagher Benefits will reach out to the Postdoc to offer them the option to pay for continued benefits through COBRA.
Note: Be aware that postdocs will lose access to their CWRU Email account after they leave the university. Be sure they transfer any personal emails to a private email account prior to their end date. If you are a CWRU alumni, you can reach out to UTech to have your CWRU emails forwarded to a personal account.
Note: CWRU Postdocs moving into a CWRU Research Associate or other staff role will lose their sick leave and must start back at zero. Upon leaving their postdoc role, they will be paid out for any remaining vacation days, then will start out at zero vacation days in their new role.
- Email the completed Personnel Action Form to the Postdoc Office and HR Records. Be sure the postdoc indicates any remaining vacation to be paid out (only Scholars, Fellows cannot be paid out).
- Personal Data (PD) Salary Authorization Form (required for SOM only), send to the School of Medicine finance office.
- Respond to your monthly department email from Gallagher Benefits Services (insurance broker for the Postdoc Benefits Program) to let them know when the postdoc's last day will be. Since the postdocs do not receive benefits through HR, there is no automatic trigger to terminate their benefits. Benefits will not be terminated unless notification is received from the department.
- Insurance rates are not prorated; the PI is required to pay for the entire month's benefits if the postdoc works even one day into that month. Postdoc insurance benefits will continue through the end of the month the postdoc is leaving. Examples: If their last day is January 8th, benefits will continue through January 31st. If their last day is January 31st, benefits will end on January 31st.