Criteria for Selection
There are four Diekhoff Awards: two awards for Distinguished Graduate Teaching and two awards for Distinguished Graduate Mentoring.
John S. Diekhoff Award for Distinguished Graduate Student Teaching
The John S. Diekhoff Award for Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching is awarded annually to two faculty members that have made exemplary contributions to graduate students through work in the classroom. In order to be eligible, the professor:
- Must have a primary appointment in a department awarding degrees through the School of Graduate Studies
- Must have taught a graduate course (Graduate Studies programs) in the last 3 years
Anyone may make a nomination, including graduate students, professors, and student associations.
John S. Diekhoff Award for Distinguished Graduate Student Mentoring
The John S. Diekhoff Award for Outstanding Graduate Mentoring is awarded annually to two faculty members that have made exemplary contributions to graduate students through advising and mentoring.
- Must have a primary (or secondary) appointment in a department awarding degrees through the School of Graduate Studies
- Persons making nominations should be directly advised/mentored by the professor
Nominations for the award typically occur during the month of February. A committee of graduate students reviews the nominations throughout March, and recommends the winners. Winners are typically notified in mid-April.
Nominations for 2020 are now closed. Winners will be selected and announced in April.
To nominate a faculty member, please fill out the nomination form which will ask for the following:
- Your name
- Your position at Case Western Reserve University
- The name of the nominee
- Nominee's email
- Nominee's Faculty Title
- Nominee's Department
- Nomination Type: Teaching or Mentoring
- A 200-word nomination explaining how the nominee has been an outstanding teacher or mentor.
You may nominate a faculty member for both awards; however, please fill out two separate nomination forms and include two different 200-word statements.
You may nominate more than one professor and there is no limit to the number of nominations you can submit.
Questions about the nomination process? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.