Posting Open Positions
Before posting a postdoc position, please consult the Salary/Stipend Guidelines. (Please note it is not a requirement to post a postdoc position.)
Departments will enter all postdoc scholar and fellow appointments/renewals/visa recommendations through the Student Information System (SIS) electronic postdoc appointment system. All approvals will also be done through SIS. No more paper postdoc appointments will be accepted.
When preparing to appoint/renew a postdoc, you will need the following in order to enter the record in SIS:
- Postdoc's current CV
- Postdoc's doctoral diploma or transcript with degree posted and date conferred (translated if applicable)
- If the person has not graduated yet, a letter of completion will be required
- For CWRU grads, you do not need to supply a diploma or transcript
- Personal Data (pd) Salary Authorization Form (required for School of Medicine (SOM) only)
- Expense Statement (required for College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) only)
- Visa recommendation forms are no longer necessary. However, the following documents are still needed and can be attached in SIS:
- J-1 Visa:
- H-1B Visa:
- Please visit the Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services website for additional information.
For all new postdocs (with no previous CWRU affiliation or SIS/HCM record), please follow these steps:
1) Prior to entering the appointment in SIS: Ask the postdoc to fill out a Postdoc Data Form.
2) Once the postdoc submits the form online, we (Postdoc Affairs) will create the postdoc’s SIS record and email you back the Employee ID (Empl ID).
3) You can then go into SIS and search using the new Empl ID and complete the new appointment record.
Once the appointment/renewal has been approved, Postdoctoral Affairs sends the official (dean’s) letter of offer/appointment to the postdoc. A Postdoc Checklist, benefits information, campus map, Individual Development Plan, etc. are sent to each postdoc with the letter. Copies of the letter are emailed to the department administrator(s), school/department Finance Office and Human Resources Information Systems department A second original letter is sent to Office of Immigration and Human Resources Services (if applicable).
An accepted appointment/renewal letter must be signed by the postdoc and turned into HR Records/Info Systems (Crawford 220).
The Student Information System (SIS) postdoc appointment component allows for all appointment information and documentation (including visa, CV, diploma, and other documents) to be submitted electronically through SIS. It will also allow for electronic approval flow.
For New Postdocs (with no previous CWRU affiliation)
For all new postdocs, prior to entering the appointment in SIS, please follow the steps listed above regarding the Postdoc Data Form.
- Log In at www.case.edu/sis with your CWRU Network ID and password.
- User Guide (PDF)
- Questions: Email email@example.com
End of Appointment/Resignation/Termination Process
For all ends of appointment, resignations, or terminations:
1. Termination of Employment paperwork should be filled out and turned in to HR Records/Info Systems (and copies to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs):
- Employee Termination Checklist #HR10040101
- Exit Interview #HR30110101
- Personnel Action #HR10021195
- Please note: Postdoc Scholars are eligible to be paid for any unused vacation time
- Copy of the letter of resignation (if applicable)
- Personal Data (pd) Salary Authorization Form (required for SOM only), send to Patty Urbon. If a postdoc is leaving, please be sure to respond to your monthly email from Garnett‐Powers & Associates (insurance broker for the Postdoc Benefits Program) to let them know. Since the postdocs do not receive benefits through HR, there is no automatic trigger to terminate their benefits. Benefits will not be terminated unless notification is received from the department.
2. If a postdoc is leaving, please be sure to respond to your monthly email from Garnett‐Powers & Associates (insurance broker for the Postdoc Benefits Program) to let them know. Since the postdocs do not receive benefits through HR, there is no automatic trigger to terminate their benefits. Benefits will not be terminated unless notification is received from the department.
Please contact the Office of Postdoc Affairs if you have questions regarding termination policies.
Annual Review Information
At Case Western Reserve University, we aim to provide an excellent training and mentoring environment for our postdoctoral researchers. Postdocs require regular feedback in order to grow professionally and benefit from praise as well as critique.
The Postdoc Annual Review is to be completed by the 9th month of the postdoc’s appointment. Completion at this time allows for postdoc to find another job or make alternative plans should the postdoctoral contract not be renewed. For international postdocs, three months lead-time is ideal in processing visa paperwork. The Annual Review Policy states that Postdoctoral Fellows and Scholars may not be dismissed from a laboratory without a 90-day notice, and may only be terminated for “just cause” such as grave misconduct or serious neglect of professional responsibilities.
Process for Postdoc Annual Review:
- Postdocs complete their Individual Development Plans within the first 3-6 months of appointment.
- Postdocs complete a self-evaluation at the 7th-8th month – they can use the same form that will be used for the Annual Evaluation. Sample forms are located in the right sidebar.
- Postdocs schedule a performance evaluation meeting with PI around month 8
- Principal Investigators will fill out an Annual Review Form (Performance Evaluation). Annual Review templates are available in the right sidebar, but specific forms are not required; departments can choose the format that works best for them. Written letters outlining the growth and development of the postdoctoral researcher is perfectly acceptable.
- PIs and Postdocs will meet to discuss the Annual Review. It is “best practice” for at least one additional person to be included in the review process such as a faculty advisor, a member of the postdoctoral fellow/ scholar’s mentoring team, program director, collaborator, department chair, Center Director, or other appropriate individual.
Signed copies of completed Annual Review written report will be required in order to renew current postdocs. A copy of the Annual Evaluation should be sent to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.