A main priority of the Postdoc Office and the Postdoc Association is to ensure that our postdocs across campus feel connected and involved in the CWRU community. Our events are meant to bring together people across different disciplines and backgrounds to connect and learn from one another.
See the Postdoc Calendar on the main website of the Postdoc Affairs website or check your CWRU email for event additional details. Like and Follow the CWRU Postdocs on Facebook and LinkedIn to stay up to date with all the latest events.
Events offered through the CWRU Office of Research & Technology Management
Dates: January 18th - May 19th
- CWRU SpartaIRB Protocol Submission
- How and When to Submit an Invention Disclosure to the Tech Transfer Office
- Research @CWRU (overview of CWRU Research Administration)
- Human Subjects Protection
- Guide to DUAs
- What is an MTA (material Transfer agreement)?
- Intellectual Property Basics (copyrights to patents)
- SPARTA Overview
- IRB Review of Data, Specimens, and Software - Keeping in Compliance
- Recombinant DNA and IRB Approval
- ClinicalTrials.gov Record Registration Process
- Effort Reporting
- Conflicts of Interest (COI) in Research
NIH Seminar Series: The Mental Health and Well-Being of Biomedical Researchers
Biomedical trainees (1) and researchers (2) report anxiety and depression at rates far greater than the general population. The goal is to increase awareness and provide coping strategies and tools to help participants support their own mental health and that of others
Topics include: Culture Change and Wellness, Trauma and it's Workplace Impacts, Self-Awareness Strategies for Positive Mental Health, Perfectionism, Addressing Numbing Behaviors, Suicide Awareness and Response, and the Mental Health Series Wrap Up
Dates: February 6th, March 6th, April 10th, May 1st (each event in the series can be registered for individually)
Time: 3:00 - 4:00pm (EST)
Virtual 2-Day NIH Grants Conference
Learn about NIH grant policies, talk to NIH experts, network with peers, and gather resources for yourself and colleagues.
Date: February 1st and 2nd
Time: 1:00 - 5:45pm (25 different sessions available!)
Ice Skating with the Postdocs @ Wade Oval
Whether you've never skated before or you're a professional, join your fellow postdocs for a night of ice skating at The Rink at Wade Oval on Friday, February 3rd at 5:30pm.
* Families and children welcome! Please indicate on the Registration section how many people will be in your party so we know how many tickets to purchase.
* The Postdoc Association is generously paying for the admission and skate rental fee for attendees. Please meet up with Felicia Moss at The Rink to get your entry wristband.
* The Rink is outside, so please dress accordingly in warm clothes, jacket, hat, and gloves. Long/high socks are also suggested.
Postdoc Career Series
The CWRU Postdoc Association has arranged for speakers once monthly via Zoom to share their journey as a postdoc, suggest specific professional development, discuss their current role, and offer advice for someone looking into that career path.
Speakers: Mallory Smith, PhD and Raechel McKinley, PhD - Science Policy Managers at the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
Date: Monday, February 6th
Time: 4:00 - 5:00pm
Monthly Postdoc Association Meeting (all are welcome)
Date: Monday, February 13th
Time: 3:00 - 5:00pm
Location: Tomlinson Hall, Library (second floor) or Zoom
2023 Vendor Fair (sponsored by the CWRA PDA and Avantor)
Discover what’s new in reagents, supplies, and research techniques. All are welcome! Visit 8 vendors for free lunch and to be entered into the prize drawing! * Bring your CWRU ID to check-in.
Date: Wednesday, March 1st
Time: 10:00am - 1:30pm
Location: Wolstein Research Building Lobby (2103 Cornell Road)
Confirmed Vendors: Avantor by VWR, Avidity Science, Beckman Coulter, Biotix, Discover Echo, Kent Scientific Corporation, Molecular Devices, Shimadzu Scientific Instruments
NPA Smart Skills Professional Development Seminars
SmartSkills is a free, virtual course for postdocs. Monthly classes are taught by experts and focus on building skills critical to career and personal success.
February 28th - Industry
March 28th - Take Charge of your Immigration Education
April 25th - Unconscious Bias and Beyond
May 23rd - Maximizing Your Time (As a Postdoc)
- Monthly Orientation for all new postdocs
- Weekly health benefits reviews for new postdocs
- Monthly PDA meetings (all are welcome)
- Monthly PDA committee meetings and Faculty Senate Committee meetings
- Mocktail Hour Networking Practice
- Postdoc Career Series (speaker: Dr. Heather Calderone, Director of Research & Grants @ the American Brain Tumor Association). View the presentation here.
- Postdoc Career Series (speaker: Dr. Jenny Ro, Marketing Director @ Thermo Fisher Scientific)
- 2022 Annual Holiday Party
- Postdoc Career Series (speaker: Dr. Ellen Palmer, Senior Data Scientist at Aetna)
- Visa Webinar: Changing Status for H1B of Green Card
- Postdoc Career Series (speaker: Dr. Jeffrey Pigott, Executive Director at the Swagelok Center for Surface Analysis of Materials as the Case School of Engineering)
- Professional Headshot Photos
- Pumpkin Carving Party
- Postdoc Career Series (speaker: Dr. Samira Joussef-Pina, Biosafety Office at Columbia University)
- Cleveland Institute of Orchestra night at Severance Hall
- 2022 National Postdoc Appreciation Week: t-shirt giveaway, campus tour, Thanks A Latte coffee and donuts, Individual Development Plan Workshop
- Innovation Week Poster Contest
- Diversity Lecture (speaker: AVP for Faculty and Institutional Diversity, Heather Burton)
- 2022 Annual Picnic
- Reproductive Task Force meeting with the postdoc representative
- Wade Oval Wednesday
- Navigating the Postdoc: Balancing Life and Work in Early Career panel
- Visa & Immigration webinar (speaker: Brendan Delaney, Immigration attorney)
- 2022 Vendor Fair, sponsored by VWR by Avantor