Your CWRU network ID, also referred to as “username” or “login,” is generated when you are hired. Your network ID is used to access restricted online resources, such as WebMail, the Student Information System, eStore, Software Center and Launchpad portal.
You are responsible for all actions taken with your network ID and passphrase. It is not to be shared. You will create your CWRU passphrase during your network ID activation. A passphrase can contain words, spaces and/or symbols (e.g. “! am gr8 @ p33ling apple$” ; “correct horse battery staple”) Passphrases do not expire for users enrolled in Duo Security two-factor authentication. For users not enrolled in two-factor authentication, passphrases expire every year.
The following passphrase complexity requirements are mandatory for all CWRU accounts:
- May not reuse current or previous 4 passphrases
- Minimum acceptable character length of 12
- Maximum acceptable character length of 32
- Minimum complexity is required to ensure passphrases will be strong, as indicated by a “green” score on the passphrase meter display during creation of a passphrase
- Passphrase should be long enough to be difficult to guess
- It should be unique to you
- Should NOT contain your name or network ID
- Hard to guess by intuition, even by someone who knows the user well
- Easy to remember and type accurately
- Must not be reused between sites, applications, systems, and other different sources
Click here for more information on passphrase policy.
Note: You are responsible for all actions taken with your network ID and passphrase. CWRU UTech will never ask you for your passphrase or other restricted information.