The Department of Music is pleased to offer a variety of ensembles that are open to all Case Western Reserve University affiliated individuals (faculty, staff, students, alumni, and University Circle community members). Auditions take place during the first week of the fall semester.
See each ensemble page for more information!
Important Update for Ensembles
2020-21 Academic Year | The Case Western University Department of Music is committed to providing all students, regardless of degree program, a high-quality and safe ensemble experience. With the additional requirements of physical distancing, coupled with the reduced capacity of our rehearsal spaces, and the need to clear spaces between rehearsals to adequately mix in fresh air, we will be following a different instructional format. Ensembles will be convening in smaller groups, supplemented by remote instruction, to allow for flexibility and maximum musical engagement in all musical genres. There will also be some fully remote options for those students who would like to participate but cannot take part in person.
We look forward to making music this academic year!
Auditions and Registration
Auditions take place the first week of the fall semester. Student can also audition the first week of the spring semester. Audition and registration requirements are outlined on each Ensemble page.
Enrollment permissions are granted in SIS following a successful audition or after the first week of class. Once course permissions has been granted, and before the drop/add period ends, students should log into SIS to register in the appropriate ensemble course (MUEN). Most ensembles are offered at variable credit (0-1 units).
Winds and Percussion: Symphonic Winds
Strings: Symphony Orchestra
Voice: Case Concert Choir
Piano (music majors): Keyboard Ensemble
Please make sure to attend our Music Ensembles Overview during Discover Week. To sign up for an audition time, please click the Ensemble List menu option to be redirected.
Undergraduate music majors (winds, brass, percussion, and strings) will be assigned an audition time, which will be communicated by email from the Department of Music in early August.
Bands and Orchestra
Spartan Marching Band
Jazz Ensemble I
Jazz Ensemble II
Camerata Chamber Orchestra
Case Concert Choir
Case Men’s Glee Club
Baroque Chamber Ensembles
Early Music Singers
Klezmer Music Ensemble
Popular Music Ensemble
Brass & Woodwind Chamber Music*
String & Piano Chamber Music*
A handful of affiliated CIM faculty within the Joint Music Program coach additional studio classes. These include guitar (classical/jazz), horn, flute, brass, and saxophone. Students are typically enrolled in applied music lessons while enrolled in the corresponding studio ensemble. These classes do not fulfill primary ensemble requirements and require concurrent enrollment in either Symphony Orchestra, Camerata Chamber Orchestra or Symphonic Winds (excluding guitar). For more information, please contact:
- Guitar: Don Better
- Horn: Meghan Guegold
- Flute: Heidi Ruby-Kushious
- Brass Quintet: Loren Toplitz
- Saxophone: Greg Banaszak
- Brass/Woodwind Chamber Music: Cynthia Watson
*CIM Ensemble Offerings
Applied Music Lessons
All CWRU students can take applied music lessons (MUAP) with affiliated CIM faculty members through our Joint Music Program.
- Incoming undergraduate music majors will receive notification of their studio placement from the music office in August. Each student will register for principal applied music lessons (MUAP 121) and Recital Class. Music majors interested in secondary lessons should contact Jennifer Wright or visit the music office during orientation.
- Recital Class, a required component of primary lessons for music majors, meets every Wednesday, 3:20-4:10 PM in Harkness Chapel. Students are required to perform once during the academic year and serve as stage managers the week following their performance. Attendance is mandatory, but exemptions are made for conflicting academic courses.
- Non-majors and music minors should complete the Request for Registration in Secondary Lessons prior to August 15. Students should make every effort to register for lessons in SIS and contact their CIM Instructor to schedule their weekly lessons time before orientation ends.
- Graduate students must receive a lesson assignment from their faculty advisor prior to meeting with Jennifer Wright during orientation to register.
Building Access/Practice Rooms/Lockers
Please review our Music Facilities Policies & Procedures. CWRU music majors and students enrolled in music ensembles (MUEN) or applied music lessons (MUAP) are provided after-hours access to Haydn Hall and/or Denison Hall. All practice rooms remain open 24/7 and are first come first served with priority given to music majors.
After-hours access will begin August 8 for music majors and on the Monday after drop/add for non-majors. All music majors and CWRU students enrolled in ensembles or lessons will automatically be activated for after-hours access to Denison Hall and Haydn Hall. During orientation through drop/add, Denison Hall operates on extended hours (8am-10pm every day) while Haydn Hall operates within standards business hours (8am-6pm, M-F).
Individuals who require building access but do not fall into the above categories can submit the After-Hours Request Form.