Student Resources

We are happy to assist you with planning your course of study, exploring performance opportunities, accessing technical and academic support services, and more. 

If you don't see your question addressed here, please contact us.


Card swipe/after-hours access to Haydn Hall and Denison Hall for music majors will automatically activate and renew each academic year until graduation. Access for ensemble members (MUEN) or students taking lessons (MUAP) will begin the Monday after the drop/add period in the fall semester and expire at the end of the academic year. Access will expire due to a change in status or position, end  of enrollment in ensembles or lessons, or separation from the university.

Buildings + Access

The Department of Music is pleased to offer a variety of traditional and contemporary music ensembles to students across all academic disciplines.

There are also several music-based student clubs, including vocal/instrumental performance, cultural, musical theatre, athletic bands, arts/media, academic, and service.

Participation Information

Room reservations are granted as often as needed and upon confirmation with priority given to music majors and faculty. Every effort is made to match the first choice, but the Department of Music reserves the right to adjust space to accommodate as many requests as possible. We can provide space for activities to the extent that it is available. 

Rooms + Reservations

Borrowing an Instrument: The Department of Music maintains a limited inventory of instruments for student use in ensembles and special circumstances. 

Transporting Equipment: Property of the Department of Music is not available for public use or external events off campus. The use of equipment for a campus event requires authorization from the music office.

Lockers + Borrowing Instruments 

Whether you’re new on campus and need to digitally notate music or retired and want to integrate technology in your lifestyle, The Core–a Macintosh computer classroom/lab dedicated to mind, sound, and vision–is a collaborative space for all CWRU students, faculty, and staff, as well as the University Circle community.

Learn more or reserve equipment in advance:

The Core Mac Computer Lab

University Technology, [U]Tech

The [U]Tech Service Desk offers unlimited and complimentary support.

Get Help Now

Yes. Music majors with piano as their primary instrument take Keyboard Ensemble as their primary ensemble requirement. Pianists can also participate in bands, orchestras, choirs, chamber music, or speciality/small groups as secondary ensembles. 

The number of undergraduate music majors varies from 65 to 85 students and the number of music minors is around 25 students. We typically have an incoming class size of 20 majors. The number of graduate students is around 50 students. We also teach CIM students and have many non-majors (outside of music) participating in lessons or ensembles.

All current Case Western Reserve University students (regardless of major) can take applied music lessons for academic credit through the Joint Music Program (JMP) with affiliate Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM) faculty members. 

  • Incoming undergraduate music majors will receive notification of their studio placement from the music office. Each music major (new/returning) will register for primary applied music lessons and Recital Class. Students interested in secondary lessons should complete the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form.
  • Graduate or professional students in music must receive a lesson assignment from their faculty advisor and meet with Jennifer Wright during orientation to enroll. Students interested in secondary lessons (MUAP 531) must consult their advisor and complete the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form to begin the registration process. 
  • Minors/non-majors should review and agree to the terms/conditions of secondary lessons (MUAP 131 or MUAP 531), and complete the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form to begin the registration process.
  • Applied lesson instructional fees for music minors/non-majors are added to the term bill (per semester) at the end of the drop/add period. Rates: $750 (1.00 credit units) for 30-min lessons or $1,500 (2.00 credit units) for 60-min weekly lessons.

Group Music Classes for Beginners

Group Music Classes for Beginners (MUSP 100) are offered through the Joint Music program and required for students with little or no prior experience interested in learning guitar, piano or voice before taking secondary lessons.

Participation Information

Our network of libraries supports our community members in their scholarly journeys—offering texts, scores, technology, and ample spaces to study.

Recording sessions or services can be arranged in Harkness Chapel (fees apply) and we offer a number of portable audio recordings and video cameras to record yourself.

Rooms + Reservations

Portable Recording Devices

We offer a number of portable audio recorders and video cameras you can use to record yourself. Recording devices can be reserved (for free) in advance by CWRU students, faculty, and staff. Users are responsible for transferring, manipulating, and uploading files. 

Email Ken Wendt <> or visit The Core (Haydn Hall, 16). 

The Core Mac Computer Lab 

Copiers and Printing Services

Printers are available in each of the graduate offices. A network printer and photocopier is available to the department in Haydn Hall, 216. Upon request, the music office will supply each graduate/teaching assistant (with copying responsibilities) a unique copy code.

The department encourages scanning as much as possible to save costs materials and maintenance. Use the passcode (1451) to access the scanning feature on the photocopier, which will send a PDF document to your CWRU Gmail. The Kelvin Smith Library provides scanners and other multimedia and digitization services.

Professional printing services are available through FedEx Office in Thwing (fees apply).

Students working with ensembles in the Denison Hall music library should see Nicholas Strawn, Performance and Operations Assistant.

Offices Supplies

General office supplies are available in the music office stockroom. Students requiring office supplies to fulfill their GA/TA duties can make arrangements with the faculty member supervising their work or ask the music office to order supplies in advance.

The Event Planning Guide will help guide you through preparing programs and publicizing a performance or event.

The University Registrar supports students, faculty, staff, departments, and schools for activities and systems related to the registration process. Find all you need to know about how and when to register and what classes are available on the page below.

Registration + Classes

The Department of Music provides lockers in a variety of sizes to accommodate the storage of instruments as well auxiliary equipment, and personal effects. Review the locker policies and apply for a locker at the page below.

Lockers + Borrowing Instruments

The Department of Music is committed to promoting undergraduate student employment opportunities that can provide valuable work/education experience. Mutually, the department benefits and grows with the vast talents, insight, and enthusiasm students bring to these roles. 

Find the job descriptions and employment application on the Student Employment page.

The Cleveland Orchestra (TCO) performs in Severance Hall, which is in the middle of the CWRU campus. Several members of TCO are currently on the faculty at CIM and teach lessons to CWRU students. CWRU music majors are eligible to receive a FREE Frequent Fan Card (by participating in a lottery process) to attend TCO concerts.

Through the Student Advantage Program, students can enjoy concerts all season for only $15/ticket, and can save even more by upgrading to a Frequent Fan Card. Sign up and reserve the best available seats (each Monday before a concert) during the season.

It's Free to Join!

CWRU music majors in the Joint Music Program have the chance to attend select rehearsals and master classes offered by The Cleveland Orchestra during the academic year.

Practice rooms in Haydn Hall and Denison Hall are available to Department of Music students, faculty, and staff, and music minors/non-majors taking applied lessons (MUAP) or ensembles (MUEN). Practice rooms are not open to the public.

There are six practice modules and a percussion studio in Denison Hall, and four practice rooms with grand pianos on the 2nd floor of Haydn Hall. There are two HPP studios in the lower level of Haydn Hall. 

Rooms + Reservations

University Health & Counseling Services are now all located in the Dental Research Building at 2124 Cornell Rd

  • Health Services, 1st floor
  • Counseling Services, 2nd floor 

NOTE: As of April 1, 2024 the ground floor entrance to the Dental Research Building will be closed due to construction. Please enter through the Nursing Research Building and take elevators to the 1st floor. 

Students can make appointments at

UH+CS Page

The Department of Music offers no formal program in music theater. Students interested in theater generally join or take part in the Department of Theater or participate in Footlighters, a student-run campus organization that presents a musical production each semester. Several music majors audition for stage roles, serve as directors, or perform in pit orchestras.

Since 1998, the Department of Music has collaborated with The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and more recently, its Library & Archives, which opened at Cuyahoga Community College in 2012. The Center for Popular Music Studies (CPMS) exists to promote scholarship and teaching about the history and significance of popular music, which includes projects and partnerships with institutions in Cleveland and around the world. Our program offers specialized topics courses, applied music study (pop vocals, drum set, guitar, composition), and a Popular Music Ensemble

Many of our students also form small jazz combos or chamber groups to focus on contemporary or popular music outside of the traditional band/choir/orchestra requirements.

CampusGroups ( is CWRU's community engagement platform supported by the Division of Student Affairs and available for students, staff, and faculty.

With CampusGroups, you can:


University Technology, [U]Tech provides student resources for Canvas on their website, including a quick overview and video tutorials. 

Student Resources for Canvas