ASIATOWN is a both a business and residential community on the eastside of Cleveland with a high concentration of immigrants and citizens of Asian descent. The majority of the residents are of CHINESE , KOREAN , and VIETNAMESE origin .
ASSOCIATED CHARITIES, est. 1 June 1900 as Cleveland Associated Charities, evolved from a merger of BETHEL UNION (est. 1867) and the CHARITY ORGANIZATION SOCIETY (est. 1881) into the Bethel Associated Charities (1884).
The ASSOCIATION OF POLISH WOMEN IN THE U.S.A. was a benefit society begun by local Polish women who preferred to have the dues they paid to the Polish Women's Alliance remain in the Cleveland area. Discussions leading to its formation began in 1911, the first general meeting was on December 12, 1912, and the first association convention met on February 12, 1913.
The ASTOR HOUSE was for many years considered to be Cleveland's oldest structure. Although its authenticity was never established, the hand-cut, chestnut-timbered Astor House was generally believed to have been built in the 1780s as a trading post by the Northwestern Fur Co., a venture associated with John Jacob Astor. The Astor House as it appeared in the early 1900s. WRHS.
ASTRUP CO., a distributor of fabrics to the awning, marine, casual furniture, and sports industries, was established in 1876 by Danish sailmaker Wm. J. O. Astrup, who had come to the U.S. and settled in Cleveland 10 years earlier.
ATKINS (NUSBAUM), LARRY (LAWRENCE) (3 Mar. 1903-24 July 1981), was a nationally known boxing matchmaker and fight promoter from the 1930s to the 1960s. Atkins was born in Cleveland to Michael and Fannie Pasternak Nusbaum. He attended East Tech and Glenville High School and was a bat boy for the CLEVELAND INDIANS as well as a boyhood friend of Blob Hope.
ATWATER, AMZI (23 May 1776- 14 (22) June 1851) was employed by the CONNECTICUT LAND COMPANY to help survey the Western Reserve in 1796 and 1797 and recorded the events of the undertaking in his journal.
AUSTIN CO., a firm of consultants, designers, architects, engineers, and constructors located in CLEVELAND HTS., was one of the most important innovators in the construction industry. Among its noteworthy achievements are the Austin Method of "undivided responsibility," the standardization of factory construction, and the development of the controlled-conditions plant.
AUSTIN POWDER CO. is the oldest manufacturing enterprise in Cleveland. Begun in 1833 by the 5 Austin brothers to produce explosives used in blasting rock to build the canals, the firm opened plants in Akron and Cleveland. Austin Powder Co. Its Cleveland factory, bought from the Cleveland Powder Co. in 1867, at the 5 Mile Lock of the Ohio Canal (under the later Harvard-Denison Bridge), blew up in 1907.
AUSTIN, SAMUEL (16 June 1850-23 May 1936), founder of the AUSTIN COMPANY, world-wide builder of factories and public buildings, was born in the village of Orton, Waterville in England, the son of Thomas and Mary Austin.
AUSTIN, WILBERT JOHN (2 Nov. 1876-4 Dec. 1940), a prominent engineer and builder, was one of five children, born in Cleveland to Samuel and Sarah Gynn Austin. After receiving a B. S. degree in engineering from Case Institute of Applied Science in 1899, he spent a year of travel and graduate work before joining with his father to form the Samuel J. Austin & Son Co. in 1901.
AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. The automotive industry includes the manufacture of automobiles, parts, and accessories. 20th-century Cleveland is part of a nearly worldwide automotive culture dependent on this industry. The city has played a major role in the rapid and revolutionary rise of the automotive industry since the 1890s, largely in the Midwest.
AVERILL, HOWARD EARL (21 May 1902-17 Aug. 1983), the "Earl of Snohomish," was centerfielder for the CLEVELAND INDIANS from 1929-39, and a consistent .300 hitter during the 1930s. Averill was born in Snohomish, Wash., completing 9 years of school and working various jobs, from construction camps to sawmills.
AVERY, ELROY MCKENDREE (14 July 1844-1 Dec. 1935), author, historian, lecturer, scientist, and educator, was born in Erie, Monroe County, Mich. to Caspar H. and Dorothy Putnam Avery. At 17, he volunteered as a private in the Civil War, also serving as a war correspondent for the Detroit Daily Tribune. Avery entered the University of Michigan in Sept. 1867, earning his Ph.B degree in June 1871.
AVIATION. In the 1920s Cleveland emerged as a center for the early development of commercial mail and passenger flight operations, and since that time has become a focal point for the advancement of modern aviation and aerospace technology.
AYRES, LEONARD PORTER (15 September 1879-29 October 1946), a nationally known educator, economist, and statistician, served as Vice President and Chief Economist of the Cleveland Trust bank for 26 years. Born in Niantic, Connecticut, to Milan Church and Georgiana (Gall) Ayres, Leonard was educated in the public schools of Newton, Massachusetts.
B'NAI B'RITH is the oldest service organization in Cleveland. Ten years after its founding in New York City, Solomon Lodge No. 16 of the Independent Order of B'nai B'rith was organized in Jan. 1853 by SIMPSON THORMAN, its first president, Abraham Wiener, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN PEIXOTTO, and Dr. Jas. Horwitz. Montefiore Lodge No.
B'NAI JESHURUN, Cleveland's third-oldest Jewish congregation, was established in 1866 by 16 Jewish HUNGARIANS. Originally Orthodox in ritual, B'nai Jeshurun gradually liberalized and joined the Conservative movement by the early 20th century.
BABCOCK, BRENTON D. (2 Oct. 1830-9 Jan. 1906), was an entrepreneur, mayor of Cleveland (1887-88), and founder of Cleveland's Scottish Rite Masonry. Born in Adams, N.Y., to William and Elvira (Gaylord) Babcock, he attended Adams Seminary and graduated from Watertown College, N.Y. In 1855, he became a clerk with the Erie Railroad Co.
BABIN, VICTOR (13 Dec. 1908-1 Mar. 1972), pianist, composer, and teacher, was the director of the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF MUSIC for 11 years. Born in Moscow, son of Heinrich and Rosalie (Wolk) Babin, he studied in Riga before studying composition with Franz Schrecker and piano with Artur Schnabel in Berlin at the Hochschule fur Musik.
BABIN, VICTORIA (VITYA) VRONSKY (August 22, 1909-June 28, 1992) was a distinguished pianist and teacher long associated with the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF MUSIC (CIM). A native of Yevpatoria in the Russian Crimea, she was the daughter of Michel and Sophia Blinkoff Vronsky.
BABKA, JOHN JOSEPH (16 Mar. 1884-22 Mar. 1937) was a leader in Cleveland's Czech community who served a single term in Congress. Born in old NEWBURGH, he was the son of Bohemian immigrants Frank and Mary Babka.
The BACH FESTIVAL each year focuses worldwide attention on the Cleveland area through the interpretation and enjoyment of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach and his contemporaries. Organized at BALDWIN-WALLACE COLLEGE by DR.
BACHER, OTTO HENRY (31 May 1856-16 Aug. 1909) was one of Cleveland's first artists to travel to Europe and attain a national and international reputation. The Cleveland native was born on River St. near St. Clair Ave., son of Henry and Charlotte Bacher. He attended the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
BACKUS, FRANKLIN THOMAS (6 May 1813-14 May 1870), a prominent Cleveland lawyer, was born in Lee, Berkshire County, Mass., to Thomas and Rebecca (Couch) Backus. He was completely self-taught and was admitted as a junior-year student to Yale in 1834. In 1837 Backus came to Cleveland and opened a school for the classics.
BADGER, JOSEPH (28 Feb. 1757-5 Apr. 1846), the first missionary sent to the WESTERN RESERVE by the Connecticut Missionary Society and founder of the first Congregational church in the Western Reserve (in Austinburg), was one of the earliest clergymen in the area and, traditionally, preacher of the first sermon in Cleveland.
BADGLEY, SIDNEY R. (28 May 1850-29 Apr. 1917), was a prominent church architect in the U.S. and Canada who was active in Cleveland from 1887 until his death. Born at Ernestown, Ontario, Canada, son of William Edwin and Nancy Rose Badgley, he was educated at public schools and private academies in Canada and served as an apprentice in a Toronto architectural office.
BAEHR, HERMANN C. (16 Mar. 1866-4 Feb. 1942), a businessman and politician, served as county recorder (1904-09) and mayor of Cleveland (1910-12). He was an officer of the CLEVELAND-SANDUSKY BREWING CO., vice-president of the Forest City Savings & Loan, and a director of Cleveland Trust bank.
BAER, ALICE DOROTHY (March 2, 1911-February 24, 1993) was a publishing company executive and the founder of MODERN CURRICULUM PRESS, INC. Born in Coloma, Michigan, to George and Elizabeth Breidinger Lorenz, Baer graduated from Coloma High School in 1929.
BAESEL, ALBERT E., (1892-27 Sept. 1918) was 1 of 3 WORLD WAR I soldiers from Ohio awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Albert the son of Henry and Caroline Baesel was born and raised in Berea. During World War I, 2nd Lt. Baesel was serving with the 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division when he was killed 27 Sept. 1918, while rescuing Cpl. Sterling S. Ryan near Ivoiry, France.
BAGE, HELEN (August 29, 1901-July 26, 1992) was one of the first WOMEN in the United States to own and operate a lighting fixture manufacturing company. Born in Windber, Pennsylvania, to Frank and Susan (Cheek) Bage, she moved with her family to Cleveland as a child. In the early 1920s, Bage began working in the offices of Hinckley Lighting Company, where she later became office manager.
The BAILEY CO. was one of Cleveland's major department stores and a national pioneer in opening branch operations. Its forerunner was a small dry goods store opened by Lewis A. Bailey and Joseph W. Crothers at Ontario and Prospect Aves. in 1881. By 1899, Col. LOUIS BLACK and Chas. K. Sunshine had assumed its management, incorporating it as the Bailey Co.
BAILEY CONTROLS (formerly Bailey Meter) was an industry leader in the manufacture of industrial control systems and equipment, with an international reputation for its accurate and reliable automatic control systems. Bailey Meter was founded by Ervin G. Bailey in Boston in 1916, but within 3 years Bailey moved it to Cleveland with headquarters at E. 46th and Euclid and 100 employees.
BAKER & HOSTETLER, one of the nation's 25 largest law firms, has served the health care industry, the media and communications industry, and has worked to protect the intellectual property rights of clients in the entertainment, high technology, sports, and apparel industries. Its client list has included E. W.
The BAKER MATERIALS HANDLlNG CO. was an outgrowth of Baker-Raulang, which survived as a company by refocusing its business from the manufacture of electric cars to the production of mobile trucks and equipment for the materials-handling industry.
BAKER, EDWARD MOSE (MAX) (18 Aug. 1875-17 Feb. 1957), broker and philanthropist, was one of the founders of the Fed. of Jewish Charities. Born in Erie, Pa., to Isaac and Bertha (Ernhorn) Baker, he received his bachelor's degree from the University of Chicago in 1898, afterwards studying philosophy and sociology and for the rabbinate under his uncle, renowned Reform rabbi Emil Hirsch.
BAKER, ELBERT H. (25 July 1854-27 Sept. 1933), was the "fourth founder" of the PLAIN DEALER. Born in Norwalk, Ohio to Henry and Clara Maria (Hall) Baker, his family came to Cleveland in 1865, moving to Kansas City in 1870.
BAKER, HENRY M. (2 Jan. 1856-12 Aug. 1929), active in Jewish benevolent associations, was born in Erie, Pa., the son of Kennard and Barbara Beitman Baker. He came to Cleveland in 1886, and after the turn of the century, became involved in real estate.
BAKER, NEWTON DIEHL (3 Dec. 1871-25 Dec. 1937), was mayor of Cleveland (1912-16) and Secretary of War under Pres. Woodrow Wilson. Born in Martinsburg, W. Va., to Newton Diehl and Mary Ann Dukehart Baker, he graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1892, and received his law degree from Washington & Lee University in 1894.
BAKER, WALTER C. (27 June 1868-26 Apr. 1955), an engineer, helped found the American Ball Bearing Co. and developed automobile parts. Born in Hinsdale, N.H., to George W. and Jeanette Rowene (Hall) Baker, the family came to Cleveland in 1871. Baker's father, an inventor, helped organize the White Sewing Machine Co. and the Cleveland Machine Screw Co.