Mechanisms that facilitate and protect the developing fetus within the uterus are obscure. Hence, the pathogenesis of several important pregnancy disorders is poorly understood and we have little insight into the underlying etiology of many adverse pregnancy outcomes. The focus of my work has been to understand basic developmental mechanisms in murine and human placentas and how they are altered in various disease states. Our most recent efforts have centered on standardization of diagnostic criteria and terminology in perinatal pathology and determination of which lesions are most strongly associated with specific adverse outcomes.
- Redline RW, Faye-Peterson O, Heller D, Qureshi F, Savell V, Vogler C, Amniotic infection syndrome: nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patterns. Pediatr Devel Pathol 2003; 6: 435-448.
- Han YH, Redline RW, Li M, Yin L, Hill G, McCormick TS. Fusobacterium nucleatum induces premature and term stillbirth in pregnant mice: implication of oral bacteria in preterm birth. Infect Immun 2004; 72: 2272-2279.
- Redline RW, Boyd T, Campbell V, Hyde S, Kaplan C, Khong TY, Prashner H, Waters BL. Maternal vascular underperfusion: Nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patterns. Pediatr Devel Pathol 2004; 7:237-249.
- Redline RW, Ariel I, Baergen RN, deSa DJ, Kraus FT, Roberts DJ, Sander CM. Fetal vascular obstructive lesions: Nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patterns. Pediatr Devel Pathol 2004; 7: 443-452.
- Redline RW. Severe fetal placental vascular lesions in term infants with neurologic impairment. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 192: 452-457.
- Redline RW, Villitis of unknown etiology: noninfectious chronic villitis in the placenta. Hum Pathol 2007; 38(10): 1439-1446.
- Redline RW, Minich N, Taylor HG, Hack M, Placental lesions as predictors of cerebral palsy and abnormal neurocognitive function at school age in extremely low birth weight infants (<1 kg). Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2007 Jul-Aug;10(4):282-92.
- Redline RW, Placental pathology: a systematic approach with clinical correlations. Placenta 29, Supplement A, Trophoblast Research 2008; 22:S86-S91.
- Redline RW, Cerebral palsy in term infants: a clinicopathologic analysis of 158 medicolegal case reviews. Pediatr Devel Pathol 2008; 11: 456-464.
- Redline RW, Sagar P, King ME, Grabowski EF, Krishnamoorthy K, Roberts D. Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital (12-2008): A newborn with intermittent apnea and seizures. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 51-61.
- Redline RW , Disorders of Placental Circulation and The Fetal Brain. In Fetal Neurology (A J du Plessis, ed) Clin Perinatol. 2009 Sep;36(3):549-59.
- Redline RW, Han YW, Lu CY, Murine Fetoplacental Infection Models. Infect Immun 2010; 78(11): 4965-4966
- Bagby C, Redline RW, Multifocal chorangiomatosis. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2011; 14(1): 38-44.
- Redline RW, The placental inflammatory response in chorioamnionitis. Seminars in Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2012; 17(1):20-25.
- Redline RW, Distal villous immaturity placental maturation defect, Diagnostic Histopathology 2012; 18(5):189-94
- Kraus FT, Redline RW, Gersell D, Nelson DM, Dicke JM. "Placental Pathology". Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Non-tumor Diagnostic Pathology Series, American Registry of Pathology, Washington DC, 2004
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology, American Board of Pathology