***Please note that research HIPAA is different than the training you did for clinical HIPAA.
Each hospital's credentials are unique.
- The process takes ~1-2 weeks
- Get sponsoring faculty member signature on paperwork
- Immunizations records
- HIPAA, compliance, patient safety on Center for Online Medical Education Training (COMET)
- Badge/parking are good for up to 4 months
- These online forms must be completed (Research Form, Confidentiality, Attestation Form)
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine students participating in research at Cleveland Clinic will follow the below onboarding process:
- Both curriculum and non-curriculum research will be onboard-ed using the Non-Employee Researcher Form
- Please ensure the appropriate box is checked under the academic institution and program on page 1
- Contact Penny Thompson (THOMPSP@ccf.org) in CCLCM with any questions on curriculum research
- Per the contract between Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University, health screenings will be verified in SilkRoad by CWRU Registrar
Work with the Research Office, not GME.
VA-Required Human Subject Protection Education
The VA Office of Research and Development (ORD) and Collaborative IRB Training
Initiatives (CITI) have developed this training to satisfy the ORD annual training
I am enrolled in the CASE CREC program and need to register for the VA course:
- Log in using your CASE username and password at the website: https://www.citiprogram.org
- At the Learner's Menu, select Affiliate with Another Institution
- Under the heading Veterans Affairs, select Cleveland, OH-541.
- Complete the member information page.
- At the Select Curriculum page, answer questions 1 through 6.
- Select "no" on the Select Your Organization or Institution page.
- Under Cleveland, OH-541, after Human Research, click on ENTER
- Once you have completed the course with a passing score of 80% or greater, at the Main Menu select, "View course completion history for Cleveland, OH-541", and click on "PRINT CR" at the end of the row of the refresher course.
- Keep the printed certificate for your records.
If you have any questions regarding registration, please call Monica O'Loughlin at 216.791.3800 x 4658.
VA Contact Info
- Christina Raymond
Administrative Assistant for the Research Office
216.791.3800 (ext 4660)
- Holly Henry
Administrator for the Research Office
216.791.3800 (ext 4657)
MetroHealth Medical Center
- Kim Hatch can only assist you with your 16 weeks required research block. If you are doing summer research, year-out research, or any other type of research you will need to contact Cheryl Zadd in Research Administration.
- If you plan to do research at Metro:
- First, you contact the office of medical student research at 216.368.6972 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you will be doing research at Metro and we will send Kim Hatch confirmation of your approved research dates.
- Kim will respond to your request by sending you an email with a powerpoint presentation with detailed instructions for completing your HIPPA training etc.
- Kim Hatch will assist you for EPIC/Network access
- Parking for research Block only
MetroHealth Medical Center Contact Info
- Kim Hatch (research block only):
- Cheryl Zadd (all other research):
UH Research Credentialing - Medical Student Application
- Research Credentialing Application
- UH Credentialing Process/Flowchart
- UH Credentialing Details
CWRU Medical Student Application Steps
*Case Med Students are exempt from application fee.
Visit the UH Research Credentialing Application.
- Upload a completed and signed ‘UH Department Chairman Certification’ document*
- Read and upload a signed ‘Authorization and Release from Liability’ form*
- Read and upload a signed ‘University Hospitals Electronic Systems Agreement’ document*
- After you have completed and uploaded the required documents, be sure to click “Submit” at the bottom of the application
*All documents required for the online application can be downloaded and uploaded
through the online application.
UH Research Credentialing Notification
- Once all documentation is received by the UHCRC, please allow 5 to 7 business days for processing;
- The UHCRC will notify the applicant if any document is incomplete or if the request for access is satisfactory; and
- Upon completion, the UHCRC will notify the applicant and appropriate parties by e-mail that all the required steps of the UH Research Credentialing Process have been completed and the date of expiration.
UH Research Credentialing Audits
In order to ensure that the UH Research Credentialing Process and corresponding documentation has been completed, the UHCRC will perform random sample audits of five (5) UH e-mail addresses. After three (3) consecutive monthly reviews with no deficiencies have occurred, the audit will occur quarterly. The UHCRC will notify the Department causing most infractions to ensure Departments are compliant as required by this SOP.
Note The “CITI Health Information Privacy and Security(HIPS)” module and the annual “HIPAA and Clinical Research Training Quiz” will no longer be required and have been updated with a set of requirements that the applicant must agree that they understand and will abide by, on their application.