March 17, 2023 | 11:40 a.m.
Health Education Campus
9501 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44106
One of the most important days for medical students is Match Day, signifying where they will "match" for a residency program following graduation in May. Fourth-year medical students and their supporters, including families and loved ones from across the country, will gather at the Health Education Campus to learn where they will place for their residencies.
- In 2022, 199 students matched.
- 22% stayed in Cleveland, 27% remained in Ohio. The next most popular state for residency was Massachusetts.
- Most popular specialty in 2022
- Top residency matches included anesthesiology, radiology, internal medicine, emergency medicine, and general surgery.
- Thirty percent of the class will go into primary care specialties.
How Does Matching Work
The National Resident Matching Program pulls data from the ranked lists of all the soon-to-be graduates and recent graduates and matches them with open residency spots. Not every student will receive a match. Residencies are required for an MD degree holder to become a practicing physician.