March 18, 2022 | 11:30 a.m.
Tinkham Veale University Center (Student Center)
11038 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, OH 44106
One of the most important days for medical students is Match Day, signifying where they will "match" for a residency program following graduation in May. Fourth-year medical students and their supporters, including families and loved ones from across the country, will gather at Tinkham Veale University Center to learn where they will place for their residencies.
This is our first fully in-person Match Day since 2019, with more than 500 attendees expected to attend, including students, families and friends. A clock will count down the seconds to noon when the students will race to receive their envelopes containing residency information when there will be lots of hugging, smiles and some happy tears, too.
- In 2021, 203 students matched.
- 22% stayed in Cleveland, 27% remained in Ohio. The next most popular state for residency was Massachusetts.
- Most popular specialty in 2021
- Match: 1.) Internal Medicine 2.) Emergency Medicine 3.) General Surgery & Pediatrics (tied).
How Does Matching Work
The National Resident Matching Program pulls data from the ranked lists of all the soon-to-be graduates and recent graduates and matches them with open residency spots. Not every student will receive a match. Residencies are required for an MD degree holder to become a practicing physician.
For the Media
- We ask the media to arrive between 11 and 11:15 a.m. to set up.
- Media will have designated parking in Lot S-29
- 11172 East Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44106