Mark your calendars! Next year's Match Day is on Friday, March 15, 2019!
Match Day Madness
March 16th, 2018
[cue excited screams in] ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... #Match2018!
Today at noon, medical students from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, including those from the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine track, joined their colleagues around the country in a special, exhilarating moment: receiving the Match Day envelopes that would tell them where they would spend the next years of their training.
Each school's ceremony is as individual as its students, and here at CWRU School of Medicine, our students can all dash for their envelopes at the same time and choose what to do next. Some students rip their envelopes open right away, surrounded by friends and balloons. Others rush back to where their waiting families sit, so they can all learn together.
See some of their stories here:
And after all the planning, worrying, and clock-watching, those envelopes revealed the fate of our 196 soon-to-be-MDs. This year, they had much to be proud of, and so do we:
- 23% matched to top-ranked hospitals, according to US News and World Report, including at Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Massachusetts General, and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center.
- 25% will continue serving the Cleveland community through residencies at University Hospitals, Cleveland Clinic, and MetroHealth Medical Center. Several more will remain in Ohio.
- 38% are entering primary care specialties.
- 36% of surgery matches this year are women.
- As a class, their top residency choices included internal medicine, pediatrics, general surgery, emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, radiology, and obstetrics-gynocology.
A HUGE congratulations to all our matching students, their families, and all those who helped them along the way!
For more photos and videos highlighting the day, please visit us on Facebook and Instagram (cwru_med)