Cleveland’s robust public transportation system includes both rapid transit and public bus services. The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) gives the university community opportunities to minimize transportation costs. These include
- Universal Pass or “U-Pass” - Full-time students automatically get a discounted pass to ride RTA anywhere, at any time. A $25 fee is added each semester to each undergraduate student’s account. Full-time graduate students can opt in for $75. A replacement U-Pass is available from Access Services.
- Commuter Advantage program - Eligible faculty and staff can buy RTA monthly bus passes via payroll deduction. The deduction option means the pass can be paid with pre-tax dollars and give employees a tax benefit of up to $200 per year. These passes are available at Access Services, Crawford Hall, Room 18.
The University has offered an initiative for employees earning less than $50,000 to purchase an RTA pass at half the face value. This is only good from July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017. Employee must complete the RTA Pretax Deduction form prior to being able to purchase an RTA pass.
Click here for more information about the RTA Commuter Advantage program.
NOTE: Riders on the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority’s buses and trains that transfer from transit systems in Portage, Stark and Summit counties will no longer pay an additional fare when they cross into Cuyahoga County. RTA says it has partnered with the Portage Area RTA, Stark Area RTA and Akron METRO, which includes Summit County; so that customers who use more than one public transit service to reach their destination don’t have to pay two fares.
Customers who board an RTA bus after traveling on any of these agencies can ride on RTA at no additional charge. And when a fare is paid on RTA for their return trip, they’ll get a credit when transferring to the other counties’ transit routes in the amount of the RTA fare paid usually $2.25.
RTA in Cuyahoga County already had agreements with Laketran in Lake County, Medina County Public Transit and Brunswick Transit Alternative, which serves the city of Brunswick. Customers will continue to have free transfers between those services and RTA buses and trains.
The agency also is exploring extending service in the northeastern corner of Cuyahoga County, past its current terminal point in East Cleveland and on to Euclid and the border with Lake County.
Busing and Transportation
Standard Parking Bus Service
Standard Parking operates buses that provide free transportation service for employees, students and visitors in the university Circle area. Bus routes are established to transport parking permit holders from designated parking areas to central drop-off points. Visitors may use Standard Parking’s public routes to reach university Circle institutions. Service is provided 18 hours per day Monday through Friday, with reduced service on weekends and holidays. Bus route schedules and maps are available at various locations. Click the link to see the campus shuttle map and the following link to see the Circle Link Blue and Green Lines.
Temporary routes may take people to remote parking lots as needed for special events.
Standard Parking shuttle buses may be rented by university Circle institutions to provide transportation for special events. Buses are not permitted to leave the university Circle area and cannot be contracted for private use. Rates are based on the size of the vehicle and time used (three-hour minimum). Three vehicle types are available: 12-passenger van, 12- to 17-passenger bus, and 21- to 24-passenger bus. Vehicles equipped for people with disabilities are available.
CWRU Bus Service for People with Disabilities
CWRU Security provides transportation for faculty, staff and students, who are permanently or temporarily disabled. Service is free and daily without exception. Individuals must make specific arrangements with the bus service after being certified by the following offices:
- Students (Permanently or temporarily disabled) - Office of Educational Support Services at 216.368.5230.
- Faculty/Staff (Permanently disabled) - Department of Office for Inclusion, Diversity & Equal Opportunity at 216.368.8877
- Faculty/Staff (Temporarily disabled) - University Health Services at 216.368.2745