RTA Passes

Little Italy Station

Undergraduate Students can enjoy free access on any bus or train operated by the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. The program, known as U-Pass, short for “Universal Pass,” enables students to ride the RTA anywhere, at any time. A $40 activity fee is automatically billed each semester on their bursar account. Utilization of the U-Pass program is not limited to only University-related activities.

Important Notes:

  • You must be a full-time student enrolled for the current semester to have the fee applied and be eligible for this program. Students must get a new U-pass sticker for both the fall and spring semesters.
  • U-pass stickers must be placed to the left of your photo on your CWRU ID.
  • For those students residing in university housing, U-pass stickers will be issued at their assigned area office. In the lower level of Crawford Hall, commuter students can visit Access Services to pick up their stickers.
  • Fall passes are eligible between Aug. 16 – Jan. 12, and spring passes are eligible between Jan. 11 – May 17.
  • The Undergraduate Student Government renewed this fee through 2024.

How To Ride

Graduates Students can enjoy free access on any bus or train operated by the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority if their school has opted to participate in the program. The program, known as U-Pass, short for “Universal Pass,” enables students to ride the RTA anywhere, at any time. A $60.00 activity fee is automatically billed each semester on their bursar account. Utilization of the U-Pass program is not limited to only University-related activities.

Important Notes:

  • Participating graduate or professional schools currently include:
    • Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
  • Assuming your school participates, you must be enrolled for the current semester to have the fee applied and be eligible for this program. Students must bet a new U-pass sticker for both the fall and spring semesters.
  • U-pass stickers must be placed to the left of your photo on your CWRU ID.
  • Students can contact their school to pick up their sticker for the current semester.
  • Fall passes are eligible between Aug. 16 – Jan 13, and spring passes are eligible between Jan. 13 – May 17.

How To Ride

All eligible faculty and staff (employed for at least 30 days) may purchase a monthly RTA pass via payroll deduction. This deduction is made with pre-tax dollars, giving employees a tax benefit of up to $200 per year.

Full-time employees earning less than $50,000 yearly, or part-time employees earning less than $25,000 yearly, are also eligible for 55% percent off the normal cost of an RTA pass when purchasing, with the University subsidizing the remaining 45%. All passes must be purchased at Access Services.

RTA's Commuter Advantage Program