Music Theory (MUTH)
- MUTH 103: Music Theory I
- MUTH 104: Music Theory II
- MUTH 319: Jazz Skills (pre-req MUTH 102, MUTH 104 or permission of instructor)
Music History (MUHI) and General Musicianship (MUGN)
- MUGN 201: Intro to Music I: Listening Experience I
- *MUGN 212: History of Rock & Roll
- MUGN 308 Digital Music: Composition & Production
- MUGN 310: Russian Song
- MUHI courses at 300 level (by permission of instructor)
- SAGES USSO and USSY courses in Music
Music Education (MUED)
- *MUED 305: World Music in Education
- MUED courses at 200 level (by permission of instructor)
Music Ensembles (MUEN)
- All students are welcome to participate in academic music ensembles. Auditions take place during the first week of the semester. Once auditions are completed students may request permissions in SIS to register for the appropriate ensemble course. For a full list of ensembles, including audition requirements and course information, please visit our Ensembles section.
- Reminder: Spartan Marching Band meets for pre-season rehearsals prior to orientation week!
Group Classes for Beginners (MUSP 100)
MUSP 100 (1.00 credit unit)
Guitar | Piano | Voice
- Non-music majors with little or no prior experience
- Group setting with up to 8 students
- Taught by Cleveland Institute of Music instructors
- Made available by the Joint Music Program
- Learn fundamental skills and techniques
- Develop the ability to play solo or in and ensemble
- Connect with your peers
- No prerequisite or additional fees
- Required for beginners before taking secondary applied music lessons in guitar/piano/voice (MUAP 131)
- Access to CWRU Music practice rooms
- Students in Guitar must own or possess a full or 3/4 sized nylon (preferred) or steel string acoustic guitar
Applied Music Lessons (MUAP 131)
All students can earn academic credit in applied music study through our Joint Music Program with The Cleveland Institute of Music (instructional fees associated for music minors/non-majors). Students interested in taking secondary applied music lessons should review and complete the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form
Requirements for beginners:
- Must have a basic foundation for reading music or complete MUTH 103 or MUTH 104 prior to taking lessons.
- Non-music majors or music minors should review and complete the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form and pre-register by August 25.
- Students with little or no prior experience interested in learning guitar/piano/voice are required to take the corresponding group music class for beginners before enrolling in secondary applied music lessons.
- Start secondary lessons for 1.00 credit units and then discuss an increase to 2.00 units with the instructor.
*fulfills Global and Cultural Diversity Requirement