BATTISTA, JOSEPH "Pipp" (4 Nov. 1908-16 May 1993) was a community leader in the LITTLE ITALY neighborhood and a member of the Mayfield-Murray Hill District Council. Battista owned and operated Pipp's Hardware (Murray Hill & Edgehill) for 35 years and was a trustee and president of ALTA HOUSE.
BATTISTI, FRANK JOSEPH (4 Oct. 1922-19 Oct. 1994) was a federal judge for the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, who presided over the landmark Cleveland school desegregation case resulting in cross-town busing.
BAUDER, LEVI F. (28 Jan. 1840-1 Oct. 1913), was a Civil War soldier, civic official, and permanent secretary of the Soldiers & Sailors Monument Commission. Born in Cleveland to Levi and Eliza (Phillips) Bauder, he graduated from CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL.
BAY VIEW HOSPITAL, 23200 Lake Ave., BAY VILLAGE, was the area's west side osteopathic medical center from 1948 until 1981. Bay View Hospital's origins go back to 21 Sept. 1935, opening day for the Cleveland Osteopathic Hospital and Clinic at 3146 Euclid Ave.
BAY VILLAGE, incorporated as the Village of Bay on 1 May 1903 and as a city in 1950, lies along Lake Erie at the western edge of Cuyahoga County. Occupying 4.5 sq. mi., it borders ROCKY RIVER on the east, WESTLAKE on the south, and Avon Lake (Lorain County) on the west. The name Bay Village was decided by ballot in a 1951 election.
The BAY VILLAGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY was established in 1960 during the sesquicentennial celebration of BAY VILLAGE. Several area pioneers, including Reuben Hall and the Cahoon sisters, had proposed the creation of a local historical society 50 years earlier. In 1973 the city of Bay Village named the society as manager of Rose Hill, the Cahoon family property at 21715 Lake Rd.
BAYERISCHER MAENNERCHOR, sometimes referred to as the Bavarian Men's Choir, is one of several local German singing groups from the 19th century still in existence in 1995. The choir was formed on 20 Oct. 1893 with 70 charter members. During its history it has performed widely, held membership in several local and state singing societies, and functioned as a social club for members, as well as a singing group.
BAYLESS, WILLIAM NEVILLE (6 Mar. 1912-9 Aug. 1992), known as Neville, won awards from the American Association of Advertising Agencies and maintained an interest in history, as a published writer and founding member of the Cleveland Civil War Roundtable (see CIVIL WAR ROUNDTABLES).
BEACH, CLIFTON BAILEY (16 Sept. 1845-15 Nov. 1902) Congressman and businessman, was born in Sharon, Medina County, the son of Israel Bailey and Emily C. (Wiggin) Beach. He moved with his parents to Cleveland in 1857, attending public schools and Western Reserve College in Hudson where he graduated in 1871.
BEACON HAUSHEER MARINE CO. is a Great Lakes ship chandler whose history dates back to the time when cargo ships on the Great Lakes were sailing schooners and sidewheelers. In 1854 the company, originally owned by Geo. Hausheer, first opened for business as a meat market. Louis Hausheer became actively involved in the business in 1881, and the company then became known as Hausheer & Son. Located at 1220 Old River Rd.
BEARD, CHARLES AUGUSTINE (15 Dec. 1923-4 Feb. 1993) held key positions in the city's urban renewal and housing agencies from the 1950s through the 1980s. The son of Chappell and Aria Thomas Beard, he was born in Macon, Ga., and raised in Newport, R.I. He studied drafting at the Rhode Island School of Design and also attended Springfield College in Springfield, Mass.
BEAUFAIT, HOWARD G. (15 Oct. 1904-3 Nov. 1976) was the "big story" reporter of the CLEVELAND NEWS during its last quarter-century. He was born in Detroit, Mich., son of Louis and Dorothy (Johnson) Beaufait. He was educated in New York and England, and broke into journalism as editor of a small Maine weekly.
BEAUMONT SCHOOL traces its roots to the Ursuline Academy, founded in 1850 (inc. 1854) when four URSULINE SISTERS from France arrived in Cleveland, at Bp. AMADEUS RAPPE's request, to staff a school for girls. The academy (grades 1-12) opened with an enrollment of 300 girls at 50 Euclid St.
The BECK STRING QUARTET was formed in 1890 by noted Cleveland composer JOHANN BECK. It was one of the forerunners of the Chamber Music Society and contributed immensely to the cultural life of the community.
BECK, CLAUDE SCHAEFFER (8 Nov. 1894-14 Oct. 1971), a surgeon, achieved worldwide recognition for his work in heart surgery and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Born in Shamokin, Pa., to Simon and Martha Schaeffer Beck, he graduated from Franklin & Marshall College (Lancaster, Pa.) in 1916, receiving his M.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1921.
BECK, JOHANN HEINRICH (12 Sept. 1856-26 May 1924), was a noted conductor, composer, teacher, and violinist. Born in Cleveland to Charles and Rebecca (Butler) Beck, he completed his musical education in Europe at the Leipzig Conservatory (1879-82), where he premiered his own String Quartet in C Minor at the Gewandhaus. Returning to Cleveland, he was active in music in the city for many years.
BECKWITH, ADA BEL (February 27, 1886-May 17, 1964) was regarded as an innovative educator during a long tenure as art supervisor in the LAKEWOOD Public Schools. Daughter of Havel and Alida (Haight) Beckwith, Ada was born and educated in Cleveland, graduating from CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL and Cleveland Normal School.
BECKWITH, CHARLES G. (19 Apr. 1870-26 (27) Sept. 1933) electrical engineer and expert in operation of municipal light plants, was born in Dowagiac, Michigan, the son of Edwin W. and Clara L. (Sullivan) Beckwith. The family moved to Cassopolis, Michigan where he graduated from high school, and took a special course at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
BEDELL, GREGORY THURSTON (27 Aug. 1817-11 Mar. 1892), bishop coadjutor of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Ohio (1859-73) and third bishop of Ohio (1873-89), was born in Hudson, N.Y. to Rev. Gregory Townsend and Penelope (Thurston) Bedell. He graduated from Bristol College in 1836 and from the Theological Seminary of Ohio in 1840. Ordained in 1841, was Bp. Chas.
BEDFORD, incorporated as a town in 1837 and as a city in 1930, is about 12 miles southeast of downtown Cleveland, bounded by MAPLE HTS. on the northwest, the Bedford Reservation of the CLEVELAND METROPARKS SYSTEM on the southwest, OAKWOOD on the south, and
BEECH BROOK, INC., which cares for emotionally disturbed children and their families, evolved from the Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum (est. 1852, inc. 1853) by the MARTHA WASHINGTON AND DORCAS SOCIETY.
BEEMAN, EDWIN E. (Mar. 1839-6 Nov. 1906), a physician, became "the Chewing Gum King" after introducing "Beeman's Pepsin Gum." Born in LaGrange, Ohio, son of Julius and Margaret Beeman, he grew up in Lorain and Erie counties. After 2 years at Oberlin College, at 18 he started reading medicine under his father and joined him in the drug business in Cleveland in 1863-64.
BEGIN, FLOYD L. (5 February 1902—26 April 1977) served the Roman Catholic church (see CATHOLICS, ROMAN) in various capacities, including as pastor of Cleveland's St. Agnes Parish (23 January 1949-21 February 1962), and then as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Oakland, CA.
BEIDLER, JACOB A. (2 Nov. 1852-13 Sept. 1912), a prominent coal merchant and politician, was a pioneer in the "back-to-the-farm" movement. Born near Valley Forge, Pa., son of Israel and Mary (Latshaw) Beidler, he graduated from Lock's Seminary at Norristown, Pa. at 21. He then came to Cleveland and began a coal dealership.
BELGIANS. Belgians form one of Cleveland's smallest immigrant groups. As of 1970, only 124 foreign-born Belgians resided in the city. Belgian immigration to Cleveland began in the 1870s. The 1880 census listed 75 Belgians in the city. The pre-World War I peak was reached in 1910, at 90.
BELL, ARCHIE (17 Mar. 1877-26 Jan. 1943), covered drama and music for Cleveland newspapers for over 30 years. Born in Geneva, Ohio, to Samuel A. and Sarah Jane (Soden) Bell, he began working shortly after graduation from Geneva High School as secretary to the CLEVELAND WORLD's publisher B. F.
BELL, MYRTLE JOHNSON (November 17, 1895-September 2, 1978), teacher, administrator and community activist, was the first African-American assistant high school principal in the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Bell was born in Warrensville, Ohio, the third youngest of eight children, and moved to Cleveland when she was seven.
BELL, NOLAN D. (7 July 1920-26 Feb. 1976), a veteran of the Karamu Theater, was one of the best nonprofessional actors/comedians in America. He worked full-time for the Cleveland Sanitation Dept. to support his wife, Viola, and their 7 children (Robert, Charles, Nolan, Russell, Rowena, Denise, and Caree), while acting in more than 200 plays.
BELLAIRE-PURITAS is a southwest-Cleveland neighborhood and Statistical Planning Area (SPA). It is bordered by I-480 on the south, I-71 on the west, Memphis Ave. and Giles Rd. on the east, and Bellaire Rd. and Puritas Ave. on the north (Bellaire becomes Puritas roughly at W. 139th St.).
BELLAMY, GEORGE ALBERT (29 Sept. 1872-8 July 1960), founded HIRAM HOUSE, the first social settlement in Cleveland. Born in Cascade, Mich. to William and Lucy Stow Bellamy, his family's involvement in the Disciples (Christian) church led him to enter the ministry.
BELLAMY, PAUL (26 Dec. 1884-12 Apr. 1956), was editor of the PLAIN DEALER from 1928-54. Son of utopian author Edward Bellamy and Emma (Sanderson) Bellamy, he was born in Chicopee Falls, Mass, graduated from Harvard (1906), and worked a year on the Springfield (Mass.) Union before coming to Cleveland as a reporter for the Plain Dealer.
BELLAMY, PETER (9 Nov. 1914-6 Jan. 1989) covered many beats during a journalism career of 50 years but was best remembered as drama critic of the CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER. He was a native of Cleveland and the son of PAUL BELLAMY, editor of the Plain Dealer from 1928-54.
BELLEFAIRE, a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed adolescents, is the oldest Jewish social-service agency in Cleveland. It was established in 1868 by the B'NAI B'RITH Grand Lodge #2 to care for Jewish Civil War orphans from 15 states. A large building on 4 1/ 2 acres, formerly Dr. Seeyle's water sanitorium at Sawtell (E. 51st) St.
BEMIS, EDWARD W. (7 Apr. 1860-25 Sept. 1930), a college professor, expert on public taxation, and proponent of municipal ownership, was a political ally of TOM L. JOHNSON, serving as superintendent of the Cleveland Water Works from 1901-09. Born in Springfield, Mass., Bemis, son of Daniel W. and Mary W.
BEN was a fugitive slave who spent several months in Cleveland in 1806. In the spring of 1806, a small boat transporting a man named Hunter, his family, and Ben, was upset and driven ashore just east of ROCKY RIVER. Hunter, from Michigan, hoped to resettle in the WESTERN RESERVE.
BENADE, ARTHUR H. (2 Jan. 1925-4 Aug. 1987) physicist and recognized expert on the acoustics of musical instruments, was born in Chicago, the son of James Martin and Miriam McGaw Benade who shortly returned to India with their son to resume their careers as teaching missionaries. Arthur went to school in Lahore (now Pakistan) and after completing high school, he returned to the U.S.
BENEDICT, DANIEL (20 Mar. 1776-16 Nov. 1840) was a pioneer settler and the first permanent resident of BEDFORD. At the time the Township was organized in 1823, it was Benedict who proposed the name Bedford in honor of his home town.
BENEDICT, GEORGE A. (5 Aug. 1812-12 May 1876), was the editor of the CLEVELAND HERALD from 1857-76. Born in Watertown, N.Y. to Amos and Ann (Stone) Benedict, he moved to Cleveland in 1835, shortly after his admittance to the bar. He practiced law for several years, also serving briefly as city attorney and president of the city council.