Dr. Mendel E. Singer plays a significant role in the department leading the development and promotion of graduate programs, which have grown considerably under his direction. In addition to his oversight and teaching responsibilities, his own methods research focuses on innovative use of electronic health records for evidence based medicine and public health and cost-effectiveness analysis in developing nations. His research has focused on the medical areas of opioid overdose, infectious disease and sexual assault.
- Public and population health
- Opioid overdose
- Health outcomes research
- Evidence-based public health and medicine
- Using electronic health records for health outcomes research
- Using electronic health records for prevention
- Using electronic health records for comparative and cost-effectiveness research
- Cost-effectiveness analysis for public health issues
1. Singer ME, Kaelber DC, Antonelli MJ. Hydroxychloroquine
ineffective for COVID-19 prophylaxis in lupus and rheumatoid
arthritis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. August 2020.
2. *Deo VS, Gilson TP, Kaspar C, Singer ME. The fentanyl phase of
the opioid epidemic in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United
States. Journal of forensic sciences. 2021;66(3):926-933.
3. Lovell RE, Singer M, Flannery DJ, McGuire MJ. The case for
“investigate all”: Assessing the cost-effectiveness of investigating
no CODIS hit cases in a sexual assault kit initiative. Journal of forensic
sciences. 2021;66(4):1316-1328. doi:10.1111/1556-4029.14686
4. Singer ME, Smith MS. Wide Area Transepithelial Sampling with
Computer-Assisted Analysis (WATS 3D ) Is Cost-Effective in
Barrett’s Esophagus Screening. Digestive diseases and sciences.
5. Sheikh SR, Kattan MW, Steinmetz M, Singer ME, Udeh BL, Jehi L.
Cost-effectiveness of surgery for drug-resistant temporal lobe
epilepsy in the US. Neurology. 2020;95(10):e1404-e1416.
6. Shah C, Ward MC, Tendulkar RD, Cherian S, Vicini F, Singer ME.
Cost and Cost-Effectiveness of Image Guided Partial Breast
Irradiation in Comparison to Hypofractionated Whole Breast
Irradiation. International journal of radiation oncology, biology,
physics. 2019;103(2):397-402. doi:10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.09.021
7. Ward, MC, Shah, C, Adelstein, DJ, Geiger, JL, Miller, JA, Koyfman,
SA, Singer, ME. Cost-effectiveness of nivolumab for recurrent or
metastatic head and neck cancer☆. Oral Oncol. 2017; 74 : 49-55.
8. Rose, J, Homa, L, Meropol, SB, Debanne, SM, Bielefeld, R, Hoyen,
C, Singer, ME. Health impact and cost-effectiveness of a
domestically-produced rotavirus vaccine in India: A model
based analysis. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (11): e0187446.
PubMed PMID:29099848 PubMed Central PMC5669435.
9. Slaughter, ME, Farris, C, Singer, MI, Smyth, KA, Singer, ME. Using
Claims Data to Examine Hospital Readmission Risk in Patients
With Schizophrenia and Comorbid Marijuana Use Disorders. J
Stud Alcohol Drugs 2017; 78 (2): 278-286.
PubMed PMID:28317509 .
10. *O’Rourke-Suchoff DK, Arora KS, Hildebrand VM, Singer
ME. Exploring Maternal Attitudes Towards Adolescent
Contraception:Implications for Use of LARC. International Journal
of Adolescent Medicine and Health. Date of Electronic
Publication: 2017 Jun 09.
11. Schiltz, NK, Kaiboriboon, K, Koroukian, SM, Singer, ME, Love,
TE. Long-term reduction of health care costs and utilization after
epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia 2016; 57 (2): 316-24.
PubMed PMID:26693701 PubMed Central PMC4744096.
12. Callier SL, Abudu R, Mehlman MJ, Singer ME, Neuhauser D,
Caga-Anan C, Wiesner GL. Ethical, legal, and social implications of
personalized genomic medicine research: current literature and
suggestions for the future. Bioethics. 2016 Nov;30(9):698-705.
13. Zein, JG, Menegay, MC, Singer, ME, Erzurum, SC, Gildea, TR,
Cicenia, JC, Khatri, S, Castro, M, Udeh, BL. Cost effectiveness of
bronchial thermoplasty in patients with severe uncontrolled
asthma. J Asthma 2016; 53 (2): 194-200. PubMed PMID:26377375 .
14. Younossi ZM, Singer ME, Mir HM, Henry L, Hunt S. Impact of
Interferon Free Regimens on Clinical and Cost Outcomes for
Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 1 Patients. Journal of Hepatology.
2014 Mar; Vol. 60 (3), pp. 530-7. PMID: 24269472
15. *Kagaayi J; Gray RH; Whalen C; Fu P; Neuhauser D; McGrath
JW; Sewankambo NK; Serwadda D; Kigozi G; Nalugoda F; Reynolds
SJ; Wawer MJ; Singer ME. Indices to measure risk of HIV
acquisition in Rakai, Uganda. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 04; Vol. 9 (4),
pp. e92015. Date of Electronic Publication: 20140404 (Print
Publication: 2014). PMCID: PMC3976261
16. *Musuuzu JS; Singer ME; MandalakasA; Katamba A. Key
actors’ perspectives on cost-effectiveness analysis in Uganda: a
cross-sectional survey. BMC Health Services Research [BMC
Health Serv Res], ISSN: 1472-6963, 2014 Nov 4; Vol. 14 (1), pp.
539. PMID: 25363234
17. Moore-Schiltz L, Albert JM, Singer ME, Swain J, Nock
NL. Dietary intake of calcium and magnesium and the metabolic
syndrome in the National Health and Nutrition Examination
(NHANES) 2001-2010 data. British Journal of Nutrition. 2015 Aug
11, pp. 1-12.
Student and mentee totals, over Case Western Reserve University career/full academic career:
- Master’s: Over 500 taught, 54 mentored (11 MS Thesis, 43 MPH Capstone)
- PhD: 8 mentored
- A sampling of CWRU PhD graduates’ current careers:
- University of Washington
- World Health Organization
- Rand Corporation
- Makerere University School of Public Health
- Cleveland Clinic
- University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Exact Sciences