Dr. Mendel E. Singer plays a significant role in the department leading the development and promotion of graduate programs, which have grown considerably under his direction. In addition to his oversight and teaching responsibilities, his own methods research focuses on new approaches to interpreting diagnostic/lab tests, analysis of electronic health records and cost-effectiveness analysis. His research has focused on the medical areas of opioid overdose, hepatitis C and sexual assault. He also has been active in building native capacity for determining the most cost-effective use of limited resources for health care in developing nations.
- Public and population health
- Opioid overdose
- Health outcomes research
- Evidence-based public health and medicine
- Using electronic health records for health outcomes research
- New approaches to interpreting diagnostic/lab testing
- Using electronic health records for comparative and cost-effectiveness research
- Cost-effectiveness analysis for public health issues
- Ward, MC, Shah, C, Adelstein, DJ, Geiger, JL, Miller, JA, Koyfman, SA, Singer, ME. Cost-effectiveness of nivolumab for recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer☆. Oral Oncol. 2017; 74 : 49-55. PubMed PMID:29103751 .
- Rose, J, Homa, L, Meropol, SB, Debanne, SM, Bielefeld, R, Hoyen, C, Singer, ME. Health impact and cost-effectiveness of a domestically-produced rotavirus vaccine in India: A model based analysis. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (11): e0187446. PubMed PMID:29099848 PubMed Central PMC5669435.
- Slaughter, ME, Farris, C, Singer, MI, Smyth, KA, Singer, ME. Using Claims Data to Examine Hospital Readmission Risk in Patients With Schizophrenia and Comorbid Marijuana Use Disorders. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 2017; 78 (2): 278-286. PubMed PMID:28317509 .
- *O’Rourke-Suchoff DK, Arora KS, Hildebrand VM, Singer ME. Exploring Maternal Attitudes Towards Adolescent Contraception:Implications for Use of LARC. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health. Date of Electronic Publication: 2017 Jun 09.
- Schiltz, NK, Kaiboriboon, K, Koroukian, SM, Singer, ME, Love, TE. Long-term reduction of health care costs and utilization after epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia 2016; 57 (2): 316-24. PubMed PMID:26693701 PubMed Central PMC4744096.
- Callier SL, Abudu R, Mehlman MJ, Singer ME, Neuhauser D, Caga-Anan C,
- Wiesner GL. Ethical, legal, and social implications of personalized genomic medicine research: current literature and suggestions for the future. Bioethics. 2016 Nov;30(9):698-705. doi: 10.1111/bioe.12285.
- Zein, JG, Menegay, MC, Singer, ME, Erzurum, SC, Gildea, TR, Cicenia, JC, Khatri, S, Castro, M, Udeh, BL. Cost effectiveness of bronchial thermoplasty in patients with severe uncontrolled asthma. J Asthma 2016; 53 (2): 194-200. PubMed PMID:26377375 .
- Younossi ZM, Singer ME, Mir HM, Henry L, Hunt S. Impact of Interferon Free Regimens on Clinical and Cost Outcomes for Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 1 Patients. Journal of Hepatology. 2014 Mar; Vol. 60 (3), pp. 530-7. PMID: 24269472
- *Kagaayi J; Gray RH; Whalen C; Fu P; Neuhauser D; McGrath JW; Sewankambo NK; Serwadda D; Kigozi G; Nalugoda F; Reynolds SJ; Wawer MJ; Singer ME. Indices to measure risk of HIV acquisition in Rakai, Uganda. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 04; Vol. 9 (4), pp. e92015. Date of Electronic Publication: 20140404 (Print Publication: 2014). PMCID: PMC3976261
- *Musuuzu JS; Singer ME; MandalakasA; Katamba A. Key actors’ perspectives on cost-effectiveness analysis in Uganda: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Health Services Research [BMC Health Serv Res], ISSN: 1472-6963, 2014 Nov 4; Vol. 14 (1), pp. 539. PMID: 25363234
- Moore-Schiltz L, Albert JM, Singer ME, Swain J, Nock NL. Dietary intake of calcium and magnesium and the metabolic syndrome in the National Health and Nutrition Examination (NHANES) 2001-2010 data. British Journal of Nutrition. 2015 Aug 11, pp. 1-12.
- PharmacoEconomics, editorial board
Student and mentee totals, over Case Western Reserve University career/full academic career:
- Master’s: Over 500 taught, 54 mentored (11 MS Thesis, 43 MPH Capstone)
- PhD: 8 mentored
- A sampling of CWRU PhD graduates’ current careers:
- University of Washington
- World Health Organization
- Rand Corporation
- Makerere University School of Public Health
- Cleveland Clinic
- University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Exact Sciences