Frequently Asked Questions


We have partnered with multiple Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and Minority Serving Institutes (MSI)to offer the North Star Award. North Star Award winners receive a 30 percent discount on tuition. The program encourages students to seek outside sources of funding such as scholarships or research opportunities.  

Our tuition rate is based on the current School of Graduate Studies Tuition rates. For the academic year of 2021-2022, the per credit rate is $2057. Tuition caps after 12 credits. These rates apply also to all international applicants. Dual degree programs may have different tuition rates based on the agreement between the partnering institutions. Students should contact the program if they have questions about the dual degree program tuition rates. 

Please contact our Center for International Affairs for assistance with all questions about VISA requirements.

No, the MPH program does not qualify as a STEM program.

In order to request a waiver, an applicant must upload a letter into the application explaining the reason for the GRE waiver request. Applicants requesting a waiver should also give other pertinent information in the request such as a previous graduate or professional degree. Applicants should also highlight their statistical and science background if they would like that to be considered. Applicants may be required by the Admissions Committee to submit additional materials or to complete an interview.  

All international applicants must submit an English language test score. The language test requirement can be waived if the applicant has completed a bachelors or masters degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction. 

Minimum scores for meeting the required language requirement (all of these scores are valid for 2 years from the date of testing):

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based: 90 

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper-based: 577

International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0 

Pearson Test of English (PTE-Academic): 61

*The School of Graduate Studies does not accept the TOEFL MyBest Scores. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 90 on one exam date; exams will not be superscored. 

If you have been accepted by the MPH program but have not heard from the Office of Undergraduate Studies or the School of Graduate Studies, you should contact the correct office to determine what they need in order to process your application. Undergraduate registration dates do not apply to graduate courses. You do not need to apply for MPH courses during your undergraduate registration window.

The School of Graduate Studies will allow up to six transfer credits. Please note, the MPH Management Team will consider transfer requests on a case-by-case basis. The School of Graduate Studies will not allow coursework to be transferred in unless it was taken prior to matriculation, during a summer session, or while on a Leave of Absence from the MPH program. If you took MPH classes as a non-degree student prior to applying to and matriculating into the MPH Program and you wish to have them transferred to your graduate record, contact the School of Graduate Studies.

Yes! The MPH Program can be completed part-time in three to five years.

Almost! The MPH program can be completed in as little as 16 months or up to 21 months depending on a student's work and course load.

Current Students

Please review the Student Handbook and Advising Guide for more information on the program and policies.

All students are required to take a biostatistics course in the MPH program. Students may elect to take additional introductory, advanced, and/or specialized statistics courses at CWRU. Many students may need to acquire additional skills to accomplish their Capstone objectives. Capstone Committee members can help guide the student to additional resources and training materials.

Your advisor can lift an advising hold once you have a discussion about course selection with them. It is your responsibility to reach out to your advisor to discuss course selection and progress in the MPH program as needed. You need to meet with your advisor every semester you are in the program.

Great! Contact Tara Hannum and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Tisch. 

The MPH Program routinely receives postings for Research Assistant positions from both on-campus and off-campus partners. The Program shares all Research Assistant position postings with MPH students. Interested students must apply through the appropriate channels and positions are granted on a competitive basis. Graduate Assistant positions are offered for select MPH courses (also on a competitive basis if multiple students are interested). Students may only serve as a GA for a course if they have previously taken the course or an equivalent course. Students must apply for these positions through the Graduate Assistant Application.

It is not uncommon for students to take an Incomplete for Practicum and/or Capstone credits. The grade will be changed to a Pass once you present your Practicum poster and/or Capstone presentation at Innovations and submit all required materials to the Director of Community Based Education. For students splitting Capstone credits between two semesters, the 3 credits from the first semester of Capstone enrollment will be designated Pass upon receipt of an approved Capstone Progress Report.

The School of Graduate Studies places a Grad Records Hold at the end of your second semester in the program until a PPOS is created and approved in SIS. 

With the exception of IGS students (who must submit paper PPOS forms) all MPH students regardless of dual degree status must submit a PPOS in SIS before the end of the second semester in the program. Your MPH PPOS should only contain coursework that counts toward the MPH. Extra coursework, or coursework counting toward another degree program (not being cross-counted with the MPH) should not be included. Walkthroughs on how to create or update a PPOS are available on the Grad Studies website: 

The School of Graduate Studies limits all graduate students (including IGS) to a maximum of 17 credits without requesting a credit override. The MPH program will only grant registration for 18 credits including undergraduate coursework, if applicable. There are no exceptions to this enrollment limit. All requests for an increase to 18 credits must be approved by the MPH program through a credit overload petition process. Please complete the credit override form to request an override. 

A Final Certification Form is completed by the MPH Program prior to graduation. Essentially, this form tells the School of Graduate Studies that the MPH Program has cleared you for graduation. The MPH Program will fill out and submit this form on your behalf, assuming you have met all program requirements prior to the stated deadline.

In order to graduate, students must Apply for graduation through SIS. Once you have submitted the information in SIS, you must update your PPOS in SIS. The PPOS must reflect when and what you took accurately in order to be approved by the program and Graduate Studies. IGS students must complete the paper form for the PPOS.

Great! Please email the faculty member to schedule a meeting. If you have trouble reaching a faculty member, please contact the MPH office to let us know. We will reach out to the faculty member on your behalf.