The thrust of the PhD in Clinical Translational Science program is to prepare its students to become independent investigators in clinical and translational science. Thus, in addition to excellent previous academic and/or clinical preparation and recommendations, the PhD program is seeking students with demonstrated clinical translational research interest and experience. Candidates for the PhD program should submit the following set of documents by the recommended due date of April 1st for Summer and June 1st for Fall of the year of expected enrollment.
Eligible applicants include:
- Individuals with an advanced clinical degree (e.g., MD, DMD, DRNP)
- Individuals enrolled in dual clinical-research degree programs, such as CWRU’s MD-PhD and DMD-PhD programs
- Individuals with an existing Master’s degree in a health-related field (e.g., MS, MSN, MPH)
- Individuals with other scientific or clinical backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Required Application Documentation:
- Complete and submit an online application through the ApplyYourself Application Network. A non-refundable application fee of $50 is required to submit an online application to Case Western Reserve University. For a step-by-step guide for completing the online application, registering, parking, opting out of one-to-one fitness and waiving the health fees, please view, PhD Application Instructions
- Submit, as an attachment to your online application, your personal statement which should be 2-3 pages in length and should include:
- Clearly indicate you are applying for the "PhD in Clinical Translational Science program"
- Your reason for seeking admission
- Detailed description of your research interests
- Clearing indicate your proposed dissertation title/topic
- Your relevant research experience, if any
- A summary of how the program will enhance your ability to achieve your career goals and conduct independent, investigator-initiated clinical and translational research in your area of interest
- Three recommendation letters, either through the online application’s recommendation forms or three individually unopened sealed envelopes
- Letters must be at least 2 pages in length
- Recommender must indicate they are recommending the student for the "PhD in Clinical Translational Science program"
- Recommender must indicate why they are recommending the student, listing any skill, research experience, trait, etc., the student has that will endorse them for the PhD program. Examples should be included.
- Recommender must indicate in what capacity they know the student and for how long
- NOTE: A short recommendation letter, may be reviewed as a less than enthusiastic recommendation
- Submit, as an attachment to your online application, your recent curriculum vitae, including your previous research experience if
- Your official transcripts for all higher education degrees (original language and English translation versions)
- If you are an international student, and have not earned a degree from a U.S. college/university, you need to submit scores for one of the following:
- TOEFL (90 on internet-based version, or 577 on paper version)
- IELTS (7.0 or higher)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE-Academic) [61 or higher]
- Passing score on the USMLE part 2
- If applicable, letter of support from department chairperson
- If applicable, letter of support from your research mentor acknowledging willingness to serves as a research mentor
All official transcripts, recommendation and support letters not uploaded should be mailed or delivered to the following address:
PhD in Clinical Translational Science Program
Populations and Quantitative Health Science
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Ave.
Wood Building, Room WG 74
Cleveland, OH 44106-4945