- Innovative Learning Strategies
- High Fidelity Simulation
- Standardized Patient Programs
- Interprofessional Education
- Using Simulation to Improve Resiliency among Pre-deployment Crews
- Simulating the Austere Environment for Critical Care Transport Training
- Partnering with National Center for Medical Readiness to develop Interdisciplinary Emergency Preparedness Training
- Partnering with Bio Medical Engineers to develop ICU of the Future and Open Access EMR
- Using live, virtual, and simulated experiences to improve health care training and decision making
- Promoting interprofessional collaborative practice through simulation
- Creating the ICU of the Future utilizing an Open Access Electronic Medical Record
- Simulation Intervention for Family Caregivers of Patients
- En Route Care, Hand-off Standardization, and Training
- Mazanec, S.; Daly, B.; Alfes, C.M. (7/1/2019-6/30/2023). Building Family Caregiver Skills Using a Simulation-Based Intervention for Care of Patients with Cancer. NIH/NCI. R37 Merit Award. FPB Grant ID 1008. Alfes: 10% effort.
- Griswold, M.; Alfes, C.M.; Stephens, J.P.; Landers, M.; Oestreich, T. (2019). Seed Sprint: A Quantitative Approach to Analyze Interpersonal Communication and Teamwork through Microsoft HoloLens. ThinkBig Seed Sprint Award, $18,288.00
- Drummond, C.K., Alfes, C. M., Rowbottom, J., & Hodge, B. (2018-2019). Clinical theatre assistant Internet of Things Internal Planning Grant Competition: Case Western Reserve University, $10,000.00, 3/1/18-3/31/19.
- Alfes, C.M., Kelley, C., Brooks, L., Grosh, M., Brubaker,S., Drummond, C., (2018). Evaluating the efficacy of telehealth 2.0 services in academic, clinical, and remote settings to impact vulnerable populations in Cleveland. Funded by Ruth Mercatz, FPB Alum, $9,000.00: 3/1/18-3/31/19.
- Awarded: Ohio Federal Military Jobs Commission: Improving Healthcare Training and Decision Making through Live, Virtual, and Constructive Training: Air Force Research Laboratory, Human Performance Wing. Total Project Funding: $3,608.923.00 Co PI: Alfes: 15% Effort; 2 year Project, Total Budget per year $24,645.00
- Awarded: Ohio Board of Regents Joint Use Agreement: Dorothy Ebersbach Academic Center for Flight Nursing, Mt Sinai Skills and Simulation Center, and Cuyahoga Community College. Provide training and research to pre-service and practicing health care professionals in flight nursing and critical care transport. Total Award: $500,000; DEACFN: $192,192.00 for equipment and simulation portion of initiative
- Awarded: Principle Investigator, Andrew Reimer; Co-Investigator, Celeste Alfes. "HASTE Project: Hand-off Standardization and Training," the Laerdal Foundation, Stavanger, Norway. $20,000.
- Awarded: Principle Investigator. "Standardized patient versus role play strategies: A comparative study measuring patient-centered care and safety in psychiatric mental health nursing," National League for Nursing Education Research Grant: Joyce Griffin-Sobel Grant Recipient. $20,000 for one year.
Awards and Honors
INTERNATIONAL VISITING PROFESSORSHIPS
- Fulbright Specialist: World Learning Fulbright Specialist Program, 8/9/2019-8/9/2022
- University of L’Aquila: L’Aquila, Italy, 7/2019-10/2019
- Aichi Medical University School of Nursing: Nagoya Japan, 2/14-2/24/2013
Fusco, L.A.; Alfes, C.M.; Zimmermann, E.; Weaver, A. (2021). Medication safety competence of undergraduate nursing students. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 52(C), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.12.003
Owens, R. A.; Alfes, C.M.; Evan, S.; Wyka, K.; Fitzpatrick, J.J. (2020). An exploratory study of a 3-minute mindfulness intervention on compassion fatigue in nurses. Holistic Nursing Practice, 34(5), 274-281, September/October 2020. doi: 10.1097/HNP.0000000000000402
Reimer, A.; Kaniecki, D.; Ruszala, M.; Alfes, C.M. (2020). Usefulness of a simulated helicopter transport experience for medical resident training. Air Medical Journal, 39 (4). 10.1016/j.amj.2020.04.009
Masotta, V.; Da Fermo P.; Dante, A.; La Cerra, C.; Caponnetto, V.; Petrucci, C.; Alfes, C.M.; Lancia, L. (2020). The use of tourniquet in trauma hemorrhages in the civil field: A narrative revision of the literature. Scenario:Associazione Nazionale Infermieri di Area Critica, 37 (1), 6-11. https://scenario.aniarti.it/index.php/scenario/article/view/408 Published online 4/29/2020.
Alfes, C. M. (2020). Improving air medical transport safety and training: A nurse leader perspective. Nurse Leader, 18 (1), 63-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/jmnl.2019.11.011
Dante, A.; Franconib, I.; Marucci, A.R.; Alfes, C.M.; Lancia, L. (2020). Evaluating the interchangeably of forehead, tympanic, and axillary thermometers in Italian pediatric clinical settings: Results of a multicentre observational study. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, Published online 12/14/19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2019.11.014
Seshadri, D.R.; Li, R.T; Voos, J.E.; Rowbottom, J.R., Alfes, C.M.; Zorman,C.A.;
& Drummond, C.K. (2019). Wearable Sensors for Monitoring the Internal and External Workload of the Athlete. NPJ: Digital Medicine, 2:71.
Seshadri, D.R.; Li, R.T; Voos, J.E.; Rowbottom, J.R., Alfes, C.M.; Zorman,
C.A; & Drummond, C.K. (2019). Wearable Sensors for Monitoring the Physiological and
Biochemical Profile of the Athlete. NPJ:Digital Medicine, 2:72. https://doi.org/10.1038/
Maznec, S.R.; Sandstrom, K.; Colletta, D.; Dorth, J.; Zender, C., Alfes, C.M.;
Daly, B.J. (2019). Building family caregiver skills using a simulation-based intervention: A randomized pilot trial. Oncology Nursing Forum, 46(4), 419–427.
Rutherford-Hemming, T., Alfes, C. M., Breymier, T. (2019). A Systematic
Review of the Use of Standardized Patients as a Simulation Modality in Nursing Education. Nursing Education Perspectives, March/April, 40(2), 84-90. DOI: 10.1097/01.NEP.
La Cerra, C; Dante, A.; Caponnetto, V.; Franconi, I.; Gaxhja, E.; Petrucci, C.;
Alfes, C. M.; Lancia, L. (2019). Effects of high-fidelity simulation based on life-threatening clinical condition scenarios on learning outcomes of undergraduate and postgraduate nursing students: A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal (9):e025306.
Kelley, C.G. & Alfes, C.M. (2019). Using alumni as standardized patients:
Interviewing using videoconferencing. Nurse Educator, 44(4).
Zimmermann, E. & Alfes, C. M. (2019). Simulating the role of the parent:
Promoting family centered care. Nursing Education Perspectives, 40 (2), 121-122.
Patterson, B.J. & Alfes, C.M. (2018). Research collaboration among doctorally prepared educators: Guest editorial. Nursing Education Perspectives, 39(5), 270. Published in the NLN 25th Anniversary Edition for the NLN Summit, September/October.
Alfes, C.M.; Rutherford-Hemming, T.; Schroeder-Jenkinson, C.; Booth-Lord, C.; & Zimmermann, E. (2018). Promoting interprofessional collaborative practice through simulation. Nursing Education Perspectives, 39 (15), 322-323. Published ahead of print on 2/12/18; Published in NLN 25th Anniversary Edition for NLN Summit, September/October. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000285
Zimmermann, E. & Alfes, C.M. (2018). Simulating the role of the parent: Promoting family centered care. Nursing Education Perspectives, May/June.
Alfes, C.M. (2018). Simulation training to meet new Ohio Board of Nursing requirements. Ohio Nurse: Official Publication of the Ohio Nurses Foundation, 11(2), 9.
Reimer, A.P., & Alfes, C.M. Rowe, A.S., & Rodriguez-Fox, B.M. (2018). Emergency Patient Handoffs: Literature Review and Training Tool Development. J. Continuing Education in Nursing 2018 Jan 1;49 (1), 34-41. PMID:2938458
Lee, A., Kelley, C., Alfes, C.M., Bennigton, L.K., Dolansky, M. A. (2017, December). High-fidelity patient simulation to evaluate student nurse patient safety competency. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 13, (12), 628-633.
Alfes, C.M. & Madigan, E. A. (2017). Promoting simulation globally: Networking with nursing colleagues across five continents. Nursing Education Perspectives, 38 (4), 216-217.
Gregoire, J.; Alfes, C.M.; Reimer, A.; & Terhaar, M. (2017). Flying lessons for clinicians: Developing system II practice. Air Medical Journal, 36(2017), 135-137. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2017.02.003
Rutherford-Hemming, T., & Alfes, C.M. (2017, February). The use of hospital-based simulation in nursing education, A systematic review. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 13 (2), 78-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.12.007.
Foronda, C., Alfes, C.M., Dev, P., Kleinheksel, A.J., Nelson, D.A., O’Donnell, J.M., Samosky, J.T. (2017). Virtually nursing: emerging technologies in nursing education. Nurse Educator. 42 (1), 14-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000295
Alfes, C.; Rowe, A.; Reimer, A. (2016). Air Medical Transport Conference Abstracts. Joint training flight simulation exercises: Missed elements in pre-hospital hand-offs in Air Medical Journal, 35 (5), 277-287. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2016.07.021
Alfes, C.; Steiner, S.; Rutherford-Hemming, T. (2016). Challenges and resources for new crew members: A descriptive exploratory study. Air Medical Journal, 35(2016), 212-215. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2016.04.006
Alfes, C. M. & Reimer, A. (2016, June). Joint training simulation exercises: Missed elements in prehospital patient handoffs. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 12 (6), 215-218. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.02.003
Alfes, C. M. & Rowe, A. S. (2016). Interprofessional flight camp attracts 29 graduate nurses from Puerto Rico, Air Medical Journal, 35 (2016), 70-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2015.12.008
Alfes, C. M. (2015). Standardized patient versus role-play strategies: A comparative study measuring patient-centered care and safety in psychiatric mental health nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives, 36 (6), 403-405. Doi: 0.5480/1 4-1535
Alfes, C. M. (2015). Cleared for take off: How a leading-edge flight nursing simulation center got off the ground, Sigma Theta Tau: Reflections on Nursing Leadership, 41 (3), 12-16.