Tuition Refund Insurance, referred to as the Tuition Protection Plan, is an optional insurance that students or families may purchase for a fee before the start of the semester. It provides reimbursement of expenses paid for tuition, fees, and room and board to a student or policyholder (if other than the student) if the student must withdraw from all classes due to an illness, injury, or a psychological condition. Tuition Protection Plan protects the significant financial investment a student makes in tuition at the university. The university has negotiated with GradGuard to provide our families with tuition insurance by Allianz Global Assistance featuring special plans and rates not available to the general public.
Tuition Protection Plan reimburses the student or policyholder (if other than the student) for non-refundable tuition, fees, and room and board costs (up to the amount of your policy limits) if the student must withdraw from ALL classes due to illness, injury, or a psychological condition. To learn more about Tuition Protection Plan, please call 1.866.724.4384 or go to GradGuard.
Tuition Refund Insurance does not provide coverage for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following general exclusions:
- Any loss, condition, or event that was known, foreseeable, intended, or expected when this policy was purchased;
- Pre-Existing medical conditions, except as waived under the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver;
- Acts committed with the intent to cause loss;
- Operating or working as a crew member (including as a trainee or learner/student) aboard any aircraft, commercial vehicle, or commercial watercraft;
- Participating in or training for any professional sporting competition;
- Cessation of operations by the school;
- A criminal act resulting in a conviction, except when the insured student or tuition payer is the victim of such act;
- An epidemic;
- Air, water, or other pollution, or the threat of a pollutant release, including thermal, biological, and chemical pollution or contamination;
- Nuclear reaction, radiation, or radioactive contamination;
- War (declared or undeclared) or acts of war; or
- Civil disorder or unrest.
The policy does not provide any coverage, benefit, or services for any activity that would violate any applicable law or regulation, including without limitation any economic/trade sanction or embargo. Please visit GradGuard for any other applicable exclusions.
Students or families may purchase one or multiple coverage period(s). For example, insurance purchased for the fall semester covers courses taken only in the fall. Insurance can be purchased for both fall and spring semester at the beginning of the fall semester. Tuition Protection Plan becomes effective at the start of the semester and extends until the end of the final exams period.
Tuition Protection Plan may be purchased up to the cost of attendance. The university suggests students and their families select coverage amounts that covers at least their tuition, fees and room and board. Please see the Tuition & Fees based on your level of study (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) or your area of study.
If you purchased Tuition Refund Insurance and need to file a claim, please call GradGuard at 1-888-427-5045 to begin the claim process. Filing a claim is independent of the university's withdrawal process. Students must contact their respective deans and registrars to withdraw from all their courses as soon as possible.