Payment Options

The preferred method of payment is electronically (online) through the Student Information System (SIS). However, other payment options are available, including enrolling in a payment plan.

Payments are applied to the student financial account and not specific charges. Payments are applied to the term with oldest balance first.  

Students or SIS Authorized Financial Users can access SIS, available at on a desktop or mobile device, to make an online payment. For step-by-step guide on how to make online payments, access the Student Financial Guide.  Domestic payments (that is, funds from a U.S. bank account) can be made using e-Check, Debit Card, and Credit Card.  

e-Check (also known as an electronic check or ACH Automated Clearing House) option is available by entering the bank routing number and account number of a personal checking or savings account. This option has NO service fee

The bank routing number (9-digit number) is based on the location where the bank account was initially opened.  The bank routing number can be found at the bottom of a paper check or by contacting the banking institution.  For a bank account opened near campus, the common bank routing number for e-Check/ACH payment is noted below.  Please verify this information by reviewing the bottom of a paper check or by contacting the banking institution.  

   Chase Bank 044000037 (Ohio)

   KeyBank 041001039 (Ohio)

   PNC Bank 041000124 (Ohio)

                   graphic of check

An e-Check payment may be returned due to invalid routing/bank account number, non-payment account, or non-sufficient funds. Both the payer and the student (if differ from the payer) will receive an email informing them of the reason for the payment failure.  A returned payment fee may be assessed by the processing agent.  The university will be informed of the returned payment and the payment will be removed from the student financial account.


Debit card are processed as a credit card payment.  There is a 2.7% non-refundable service fee by the credit card processing agent (must use e-Check option for no service fee).  You will be asked to acknowledge and accept the service fee before submitting the payment.    


Credit card are also accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. There is a 2.7% non-refundable service fee by the credit card processing agent.  You will be asked to acknowledge and accept the service fee before submitting the payment.   

The debit and credit card payment option is unavailable after multiple failed attempts. If your debit or credit card payment failed, please contact Student Financial Services at 216.368.2226 for additional instructions. 


Below is an example of the service fee using the different online payment method:

  Tuition and Fees Due (CWRU) Service Fee (Agent) Total Amount Paid
e-Check $1,000 $0 $1,000
Debit Card $1,000 $27 $1,027
Credit Card $1,000 $27 $1,027

If you want to mail a personal or bank check, please make payable to Case Western Reserve University. The student 7-digit ID number should be written on the check or money order to ensure proper credit. The payment remittance slip, accessible from the online invoice, should also be included. To access the remittance slip, please see instructions about obtaining your current electronic billing statement in the Student Financial Guide.

CWRU redeposits returned checks automatically and without notice. Penalties may be charged to CWRU for checks returned by the bank for non-sufficient funds (NSF checks). Any penalties will be charged to the student’s financial account. When a check is returned, the university reserves the right to require payment by certified funds.

The personal or bank check with the 7-digit student ID number in the memo section and the payment remittance slip should be mailed to:

Case Western Reserve University
PO Box 74056
Cleveland, OH 44194

A 529 Plan is an education savings plan operated by a state or educational institution designed to help families set aside funds for future college costs.  Each plan administrator will distribute funds differently and we encourage you to ask your 529 Plan administrator how distributions from the plan are made.

Students or families who will make payments from 529 plans should allow for sufficient time to process the payment and have it mailed to the university.  Please check with the plan administrator if an electronic delivery of the funds is available.  It can take up to 3 weeks for the University to receive a paper check from the 529/education savings plan.

Please make the check payable to Case Western Reserve University, clearly marked with the student’s name and 7-digit ID number. Check payments are applied to the student financial account upon receipt.  Mailed College/529 Plan check may be sent to either the campus address or lockbox address:

Campus address, including overnight delivery:

Case Western Reserve University
Cashier’s Office
Sears Library Building, Suite 229A
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106-7043

Lockbox address:  

Case Western Reserve University
PO Box 74056
Cleveland, OH 44194


If you have received a scholarship from an organization outside of the university, that check needs to be given to the Financial Aid Office so it can be credited to your student financial account. If the organization requires the university to send them a bill for the scholarship, the organization must send a written request for a bill to the Student Financial Services office. This request must provide the student's name and 7-digit ID number.

Scholarship checks should be mailed to:

Case Western Reserve University
Office of University of Financial Aid
Sears Library Building, Suite 240
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-7049

The Cashier's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the Sears Library Building.  Please visit the Cashier's Office website for walk-in service hours.  

Case Western Reserve University partners with Flywire to streamline tuition payments for international students. With this service, students are offered excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing them to pay in their home currency (in most cases) and save money, as compared to traditional banks. 

To initiate an international wire transfer, follow the instructions on how to make an online payment, but select the International Payment via Flywire option.  Students can visit Flywire Help Center for helpful information or to use their chat and phone features listed on their Help Center for immediate help.

Special sponsor billing arrangement or third-party billing is when an employer, private trust fund, or domestic, foreign, or other government agency will pay all or part of a student's tuition and fees but requires a billing invoice directly from CWRU. 

A copy of the sponsor agreement, sometimes referred to as a Financial Guarantee, must be emailed to before the first week of each semester.  If the third-party requires a student to submit grades before payment can be made, then this option is not available.  

A sponsor credit amount is placed on a student's financial account after the add/drop date and the amount is transferred to the sponsor's account.  The sponsor will be provided an invoice for payment.  Invoice for payment are due on receipt.  At our discretion, we will place a financial hold on a student's account for non-payment from a sponsor.  Please see Student Accounts Past Due Policy on what student services may be impacted by the financial hold.


Employer reimbursement occur when an employer will reimburse a student for tuition and fees as part of the employer benefit after a student submits grades for the semester.  We will accept a written employer reimbursement letter and permit a payment after the due date but the student is responsible for late fees on the account.  

Electronic check/ACH is the preferred method for transferring funds to the university from a personal checking or saving bank account. See Online (preferred) Payment for instructions on using the e-Check option.  Students and SIS authorized financial users who wish to do a domestic bank wire transfer will need to contact the Student Financial Services office at for bank wire instructions to ensure payment is applied to the student's financial account.  Missing student identifiable information may delay the posting of the funds.