1098-T Tax Information

1098-T Tax Form

In accordance with federal law, Case Western Reserve University annually reports payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses billed to U.S. citizen and permanent resident students during the tax year. This form is made available to you electronically through SIS. Students who chose not to receive their form electronically will be mailed the form by January 31st. 

Although CWRU does not require that students provide their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) upon registration, in order for the university to fully comply with its tax reporting responsibility, it should have each student’s current, correct SSN or ITIN for insertion in the 1098-T.

If you, or someone who claims you as a dependent, plan to deduct your educational expenses this year and your SSN or ITIN is not already in your SIS file, complete a CWRU Form W-9S.

Nonresident Alien Request Process

Per Internal Revenue Services regulations, Case Western Reserve University is not required to complete a 1098-T Tax Form to non-resident alien students. However, the IRS does require the university to provide the tax form upon request by the student. To request a 1098-T form, please complete the Nonresident Alien 1098-T Request Form.

The deadline to request a Form 1098-T for tax year 2023 is August 31, 2024.  If a student, or someone who claims the student as a dependent, plans to file a U.S. individual tax return for tax year 2023 and require a Form 1098-T, a request must be submitted prior to the deadline.  Requests for tax year 2023 received after August 31, 2024 will not be processed.  We are no longer processing Form 1098-T requests for tax years 2022 or earlier.   

Change of Residency Status

Students whose citizenship status has changed during the year should report their change of status to the University Registrar or International Student Services. If the change resulted in the acquisition of a U.S. SSN or ITIN, you should also complete and submit a CWRU Form W-9S.

If you have updated your residency status in SIS after January 4, 2024, you will also need to complete the Nonresident Alien 1098-T Request Form

Accessing Form through SIS

  1. Log into SIS at case.edu/sis
  2. Click the "Finances" tile on the Student Home and then the "Tuition Tax Form" tile.
  3. Click the desired tax year to access a PDF version of the 1098-T form.
  4. To view the current tax year data, click the current tax year form. You may have to consent to view this form online first by pressing the green "Grant Consent" button at the bottom of the page. Once consent is given, the form is available to viewed or printed from SIS.