1098-T Tax Form
In accordance with federal law, Case Western Reserve University annually reports qualified tuition and related expenses billed to U.S. citizen and permanent resident students during the tax year. This form is made available to you electronically through SIS. Students who chose not to receive their form electronically will be mailed the tax return by January 31st.
Although CWRU does not require that students provide their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) upon registration, in order for the university to fully comply with its tax reporting responsibility, it should have each student’s current, correct SSN or ITIN for insertion in the 1098-T.
If you, or someone who claims you as a dependent, plan to deduct your educational expenses this year and your SSN or ITIN is not already in your SIS file, complete a CWRU Form W-9S (Social Security/Taxpayer Identification Number Form) and send it to the Office of the University Registrar by fax at 216.368.8711 or by mail to
Office of the University Registrar
Yost Hall, Room 135
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7042
Due to sensitive information on the form, please do not e-mail the CWRU Form W-9S.
Nonresident Alien Request Process
Per Internal Revenue Services regulations, Case Western Reserve University is not required to complete a 1098-T Tax Form to non-resident alien students. However, the IRS does require the university to provide the tax form upon request by the student. To request a 1098-T form, please follow the below instructions.
- Call Student Financial Services at 216.368.2226.
- Inform the staff member that you are a nonresident alien and you are requesting a 1098-T tax form to be produced.
- The Student Financial Services staff member will review available data in SIS and instruct you to complete either the SSN/ITIN Required Request Form or the SSN/ITIN On File Request Form.
Change of Residency Status
Students whose citizenship status has changed during the year should report their change of status to the University Registrar or International Student Services. If the change resulted in the acquisition of a U.S. SSN or ITIN, you should also complete and submit a CWRU Form W-9S.
Accessing Form through SIS
- Log into SIS at case.edu/sis
- Click the "Finances" tile on the Student Home and then the "Tuition Tax Form" tile.
- Click the desired tax year to access a PDF version of the 1098-T form.
- To view the current tax year data, click the current tax year form. You may have to consent to view this form online first by pressing the green "Grant Consent" button at the bottom of the page. Once consent is given, the form is available to viewed or printed from SIS.