You can use message moderation to approve messages before they’re sent to the rest of the Group. This gives you the opportunity to make sure messages are appropriate for the entire Group before they’re shared.
Only members with permission to moderate posts can approve messages.
How to turn on message moderation
- Go to groups.case.edu.
- Click My Groups > name of the Group you want to edit.
- Click Manage in the upper-right corner.
- Click Settings in the left menu.
- Click Moderation and select your desired settings.
Once you turn on moderation, you can choose how you want messages to be moderated. Your options on the Setting screen include:
- Moderate all messages to the Group - You’ll approve every message before it’s sent to your Group
- Moderate messages from new members (New member restrictions) - New member messages will be moderated until you change their individual posting permissions by clicking Manage > Actions > Set Posting Permission.
- Moderate messages from non-members of the Group - You’ll only need to use this setting if non-members are allowed to post).
- Let authors know when moderators reject their post (Rejected author notification) - You can write custom text for the rejection message.
- Change moderation settings for messages Google identifies as spam (Spam messages) - You can have messages sent to the moderation queue with or without notifying moderators, immediately reject spam messages or allow the messages to be posted without moderation.
Note: Pending posts will be deleted after seven days if they're not approved by a manager.
A Group manager will have to approve posts if moderation has been turned on. Pending posts will be deleted after seven days if they are not approved. All managers have the Approve Messages permission by default. Other group members may be assigned the Approve Messages permission, but notifications of pending messages will only be sent to Group managers.
How to approve a post/message
- From the Topics screen, click the Settings menu
- Select Manage messages.
- Click on a post to read its contents.
- Click the checkbox next to the post. Four buttons appear at the top of the screen.
- Click one of the four buttons:
- Post and always allow future messages from author (This feature will only work for messages which are not detected as Spam by Google Groups. A message detected as Spam will have the symbol next to the topic).
- Report spam and ban author(s) from this forum
Tip: You can click the checkbox next to multiple posts and then click on a button to perform the same action on those posts.
- A post requiring approval triggers an email to the manager to approve or deny the post in case the message is not detected as spam.