International Travel Support

The University Technology, [U]Tech department is available to assist faculty, staff and students as they plan for technology requirements during international travel. Support can range from guidance on configuring mobile phones to recommendations for planning a comprehensive IT infrastructure in support of ongoing projects spanning multiple countries.

Regardless of the scope of your journey, the goal of UTech is to provide an optimal computing and communications experience anywhere members of the Case Western Reserve University community may travel in support of research, educational and collaborative endeavors.

Faculty, staff, and students travelling abroad should also refer to the Center for International Affairs resources at Also, because taking computer devices and cell phones when travelling abroad could have export compliance and privacy implications, faculty, staff and students should refer to the CWRU Compliance Office’s web pages on travelling abroad:

Things to know before you go

Phones, computers and email don’t work the same in every country. Before leaving the United States, Case Western Reserve travelers should consider the following information.

White suitcase icon on a blue background
White Laptop icon with blue background
White telephone icon with blue background


  1. How do I prepare to use my laptop in another country?
  2. What type of Adapter, Converter or Transformer do I need?
  3. Phones
  4. How to Call Abroad
  5. Calling the U.S from a Foreign Country
  6. Voice Communications via a Networked Computer
  7. Wired Connections
  8. Wireless Connections