Academic FAQ

Q: Where can I go online to find Department of Music resources for current students? 
A: You'll find information for current undergraduate music majors, graduate or professional students, and minors/non-majors on our website. Explore Resources for Current Students

Q: I received notification that I have been accepted to the music major, but I did not indicate music as an intended major. What does this mean? Will I be notified if I was not selected as a scholarship recipient?
A: The Department of Music evaluates the Music-Arts Supplement for both the music major and music scholarship. Admitted students with successful auditions (although their application may not indicate music as an intended major) can declare a music major if they so choose. Students are notified if chosen to receive a music scholarship on or around March 15. 

Q: I’ve been admitted to CWRU and would like to major in music but have not yet auditioned. Can I still audition?
A: You can still audition for the music major over the summer or once you arrive on campus. If you'd like to request an audition, please email Dr. Nathan Kruse at or call 216.368.0675.

Q: I’ve been admitted to the music major. Is there anything I should do over the summer to prepare for my first semester at CWRU?
A: You should prepare for the Music Theory Placement Exam, which will be given online during the middle of the summer to determine which theory course you take in your first semester. Learn more about the exam and how to prepare for it.

Q: I've been admitted as a graduate or professional student. When will a receive my contract outlining my tuition hours?
A: Incoming graduate or professional students receive contracts (by email) sometime on or around the second week of July. 

Q: Whom should I contact if I have academic advising questions over the summer?
A: Undergraduate music majors should email Dr. Nathan Kruse at Graduate/professional students will work closely with the Coordinator of Graduate Studies of their program of study.

Q: When will I declare my major in music or music education? 
A: 1st-year students will declare their major during orientation week by completing a Major Declaration Form approved by the faculty coordinator of their program of study. This is an important step because music majors start taking core classes in their first semester. 

Q: Will I take music classes during my first semester? 
A: Yes. Music majors should plan to take their required music theory (MUTH), applied music lessons (MUAP 121), and primary ensemble (MUEN) during their first semester. Other music courses could include eurhythmics (MUDE), music education skills (MUED 200), optional ensembles (MUEN) or secondary lessons (MUAP 131). Undergraduate students will meet with their advisors before registering in classes and be provided Advising Forms to help track their progress within their degree program.

Graduate or professional students are encouraged to meet with their advisors within the first semester of residence to discuss all departmental requirements and create a list of proposed coursework. An official Planned Program of Study (PPOS) is required for each graduate student by the end of their second semester. 

Q: How many credit units can I take in my first semester?
A: Undergraduate students can take a maximum of 19 credit units in their first semester. Graduate or professional students will enroll in the amount of credit units outlined in their contracts.

Q: How do I register for lessons?
A: Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a music degree program are assigned a primary studio based on degree requirements and CIM instructor availability. Undergraduate music majors can also take secondary lessons at no additional cost (we recommend starting in the second semester). 
Non-music majors or music minors should review the information in the Secondary Lessons: Policies and Pre-Registration Form and pre-register by August 25. Non-music majors and music minors with little or no prior experience (beginners) interested in learning guitar/piano/voice are required to take the corresponding group music class for beginners before enrolling in secondary applied music lessons (MUAP 131).

Q: What are the solo performance requirements for music majors?
A: Music majors are required to participate in Recital Class each semester that they are enrolled in primary applied music lessons. Students are to attend class every Wednesday at 3:20 PM in the Harkness Chapel and perform once each academic year. The music department does not require full-length solo recitals, but students are welcome to do so with the approval of their applied instructor. Jury Exams are required each academic year. Other recital opportunities include the Concerto Competition and Ronis Recital Prize. 

Q: What are jury examinations?
A: Jury Exams are final exams for primary applied lessons. Each music major is required to perform jury exams specific to their degree. Students are evaluated by their applied instructor and several department faculty members. These jury exams allow the department to track progress in the applied lesson sequence. 

Q: How many music students attend CWRU Music?
A: The number of undergraduate majors varies from about 80 to about 100 and the number of graduate or professional students is usually about 50. In addition, we teach required music courses to all students enrolled at CIM.