Dr. Mark Cameron applies genomic technologies and bioinformatic methods to identify biomarkers (immune correlates) of infectious diseases, such as HIV, and chronic inflammatory conditions, such as psoriasis. He and his team have broad computational expertise in analyzing across data types and studies, and focus their work on targets or diagnostics that can be used in specific immunotherapy or vaccine design.
Dr. Cameron also directs the genomics activities of several large cores or consortia, including the Case Western Reserve University Applied Functional Genomics Core, the Miami Center for AIDS Research (Inter-CFAR) Bioinformatics Core, the Case Western Reserve University CFAR Systems Biology Core, and the international Early Treated Perinatally Infected individuals: Improving Children’s Lives with an HIV Vaccine (EPIICAL). These collaborative cores allow Dr. Cameron to apply his systems approach and data from gene sequence, to gene transcription, to protein, cellular and antibody function, to find out what goes right or wrong in the immune systems of patients who respond variably to various diseases or treatments.
Role of interferon signaling genes and the inflammasome in regulating innate and adaptive immune responses.
- Gao, X, Li, L, Parisien, M, Wu, J, Bederman, I, Gao, Z, Krokowski, D, Chirieleison, SM, Abbott, DW, Wang, B, Arvan, P, Cameron, M, Chance, M, Willard, BB, Hatzoglou, M. Discovery of a redox thiol switch: implications for cellular energy metabolism. Mol. Cell Proteomics 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32132231 .
- Manuzak, JA, Zevin, AS, Cheu, R, Richardson, B, Modesitt, J, Hensley-McBain, T, Miller, C, Gustin, AT, Coronado, E, Gott, T, Fang, M, Cartwright, M, Wangari, S, Agricola, B, May, D, Smith, E, Hampel, HB, Gale, M, Cameron, CM, Cameron, MJ, Smedley, J, Klatt, NR. Correction: Antibiotic-induced microbiome perturbations are associated with significant alterations to colonic mucosal immunity in rhesus macaques. Mucosal Immunol 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32094503 .
- Rinaldi, S, Pallikkuth, S, Cameron, M, de Armas, LR, Cotugno, N, Dinh, V, Pahwa, R, Richardson, B, Saini, SR, Rocca, S, Lain, MG, Williams, SL, Palma, P, Pahwa, S. Impact of Early Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation on HIV-Specific CD4 and CD8 T Cell Function in Perinatally Infected Children. J. Immunol. 2020; 204 (3): 540-549. PubMed PMID:31889024 PubMed Central PMC6981070.
- Manuzak, JA, Zevin, AS, Cheu, R, Richardson, B, Modesitt, J, Hensley-McBain, T, Miller, C, Gustin, AT, Coronado, E, Gott, T, Fang, M, Cartwright, M, Wangari, S, Agricola, B, May, D, Smith, E, Hampel, HB, Gale, M, Cameron, CM, Cameron, MJ, Smedley, J, Klatt, NR. Antibiotic-induced microbiome perturbations are associated with significant alterations to colonic mucosal immunity in rhesus macaques. Mucosal Immunol 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31797911 .
- Seth, D, Ehlert, AN, Golden, JB, Damiani, G, McCormick, TS, Cameron, MJ, Cooper, KD. Interaction of Resistin and Systolic Blood Pressure in Psoriasis Severity. J. Invest. Dermatol. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31734188 .
- Bowman, ER, Kulkarni, M, Gabriel, J, Cichon, MJ, Riedl, K, Belury, MA, Lake, JE, Richardson, B, Cameron, C, Cameron, M, Koletar, SL, Lederman, MM, Sieg, SF, Funderburg, NT. Altered Lipidome Composition Is Related to Markers of Monocyte and Immune Activation in Antiretroviral Therapy Treated Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection and in Uninfected Persons. Front Immunol 2019; 10 : 785. PubMed PMID:31040846 PubMed Central PMC6477036.
- Fourati, S, Ribeiro, SP, Blasco Tavares Pereira Lopes, F, Talla, A, Lefebvre, F, Cameron, M, Kaewkungwal, J, Pitisuttithum, P, Nitayaphan, S, Rerks-Ngarm, S, Kim, JH, Thomas, R, Gilbert, PB, Tomaras, GD, Koup, RA, Michael, NL, McElrath, MJ, Gottardo, R, Sékaly, RP. Integrated systems approach defines the antiviral pathways conferring protection by the RV144 HIV vaccine. Nat Commun 2019; 10 (1): 863. PubMed PMID:30787294 PubMed Central PMC6382801.
- Retuerto, MA, Szczotka-Flynn, L, Mukherjee, PK, Debanne, S, Iyengar, SK, Richardson, B, Cameron, M, Ghannoum, MA. Diversity of Ocular Surface Bacterial Microbiome Adherent to Worn Contact Lenses and Bacterial Communities Associated With Care Solution Use. Eye Contact Lens 2019; 45 (5): 331-339. PubMed PMID:30724840 .
- Younes, SA, Talla, A, Pereira Ribeiro, S, Saidakova, EV, Korolevskaya, LB, Shmagel, KV, Shive, CL, Freeman, ML, Panigrahi, S, Zweig, S, Balderas, R, Margolis, L, Douek, DC, Anthony, DD, Pandiyan, P, Cameron, M, Sieg, SF, Calabrese, LH, Rodriguez, B, Lederman, MM. Cycling CD4+ T cells in HIV-infected immune nonresponders have mitochondrial dysfunction. J. Clin. Invest. 2018; 128 (11): 5083-5094. PubMed PMID:30320604 PubMed Central PMC6205369.
- Mudd, JC, Busman-Sahay, K, DiNapoli, SR, Lai, S, Sheik, V, Lisco, A, Deleage, C, Richardson, B, Palesch, DJ, Paiardini, M, Cameron, M, Sereti, I, Reeves, RK, Estes, JD, Brenchley, JM. Hallmarks of primate lentiviral immunodeficiency infection recapitulate loss of innate lymphoid cells. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 3967. PubMed PMID:30262807 PubMed Central PMC6160474.
Metrics from Web of Science/publons and Scopus/SciVal:
- H-index: 34
- Total publications from CV: 74
- Total citations: 3,330
- Publications in top-tier journals: 66%
- Collaborative publishing national/international: 19%/81%
- The Journal of infection in Developing Countries, Editor
- Pathogens and Immunity, Associate Editor
Contributions to science:
- Applied novel, low input, multi-omic assays and translation expertise to assess the genome and functional genome of difficult clinical samples from clinical studies and trials
- Identified pro-inflammatory gene correlates of pathogenesis in human subjects versus animal models and mechanisms of their abatement via vaccines or therapies
- Identifying cell subset specific transcriptomic signatures over injury, immune system development and cell survival/differentiation for application to clinical studies
- NIH/NIAIDS R01: Identification of drug-targetable IFN-stimulated genes mediating immune activation during ART-treated HIV-1 infection
- NIH/NIAMS P50: Identify the systems biology donor profiles and biomarkers that may define the pathogenesis of psoriasis in humans and mouse models
- NIH National Institute on Drug Abuse R01: Identification of immune protective pathways dysregulated by opioid use in HIV infection use a systems biology approach
- NIH/NIDDKD R01: Impact of HIV/SIV infection on Paneth and intestinal cell interaction
- Penta Foundation FP: Early treated Perinatally infected Individuals: Improving Children’s Lives with an HIV Vaccine
- NIH/National Cancer Institute FP: Immunoprevention and immunosurveillance of human non-viral cancers
- NIH DP1: Impact of Cannabis on Inflammation and Viral Persistence in Treated HIV/SIV
- NIH/NIAID P30: The Miami Center for AIDS Research
- NIH P30: Case Center for AIDS Research
Student and mentee totals, over CWRU career:
- Master’s: 5 mentees
- PhD: 3
- Post-doc: 2
- A sampling of CWRU PhD graduates’ and Postdoctoral fellows’ current careers:
- Nova Southeastern University, Genomics Core
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Case Western Reserve University