Dr. Horvat Davey’s research focuses on symptom science, specifically examining the role exercise and biomarkers play in symptoms in order to mitigate symptom burden and improve quality of life for individuals suffering from comorbid conditions, including people with HIV (PWH). Her recent work (K23NR019744) investigates sleep hygiene in older PWH and characterizes the effects of two exercise interventions, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and continuous moderate-intensity exercise (CME), on sleep quality in older PWH, as well as examines the underlying mechanism of inflammation as it relates to sleep in older PWH. She is a co-investigator for the PROSPER-HIV study, which examines the relationship between exercise and diet intake and the symptom experience in adults living with HIV. Dr. Horvat Davey’s work has been funded by the National Institute of Nursing Research, American Nurses Foundation, as well as private foundations.
- Symptom Science
- Nursing Research
- Implementation Science
- Examination of symptoms specifically sleep, fatigue and depression in individuals with comorbid conditions, including aging people with HIV (PWH).
- Examination of the role exercise, diet and biomarkers play in symptom burden.
- Development of multimodal interventions to improve self-management and mitigate symptom burden to improve the health of individuals with comorbid conditions, including PWH.
- Relationship of Insomnia, Inflammatory Markers and Neurocognitive Function in Aging People with HIV. HIV-Aging Research Consortium Pilot Award. Role: Primary Investigator
- Relationship of Formal Exercise Interventions, Sleep, and Inflammation Markers in People Living with HIV. NINR, K23NR01974. Role: Primary Investigator.
- Impact of Physical Activity Routines and Dietary Intake on the Longitudinal Symptom Experience of People Living with HIV (PROSPER-HIV). NINR, R01NR018391. Role: Co-Investigator.
- Relationship of Formal Exercise Interventions and Sleep in People Living with HIV. Sigma Theta Tau International, Alpha Mu Chapter Research Grant. Role: Primary Investigator.
- Genetic Associations of Fatigue in Individuals with End Stage Renal Disease. American Nephrology Nurses Association, Research Grant. Role: Primary Investigator.
- Gene Expression Profiling of Fatigue in Individuals with End Stage Renal Disease. American Nurses Foundation, Eleanor C. Lambertson Scholar Fund. Role: Primary Investigator.
- Gene Expression Profiling of Fatigue in Individuals with End Stage Renal Disease. FPB SON Alumni Association, Research Award. Role: Primary Investigator.
Awards and Honors
Horvat Davey, C., Navis, B., Webel, A.R., Jankowski, C.M., Oliveira, V., Khuu, V., Cook, P.,
and Erlandson, K.M. (2023). Impact of Food Insecurity and Undernutrition on Frailty and
Physical Functioning in Aging People with HIV. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS
Care: JANAC. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JNC.0000000000000395
Horvat Davey, C., Longenecker, C.T., Brinza, E., McCabe, M., Hileman, C.O., Vedanthan,
R., Bosworth, H.B., and Webel, A.R. (2023). The Impact of COVID-19 on Cardiovascular Health Behaviors in People Living with HIV. AIDS Care, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2023.2175195
Griggs, S., Horvat Davey, C., Howard, Q., Pignatiello, G., & Duwadi, D. (2022).
Socioeconomic Deprivation, Sleep Duration, and Mental Health during the First Year of the
COVID-19 Pandemic. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.
Davey, C. H., Trinh, V., Schexnayder, J., Longenecker, C. T., & Webel, A. (2021). Comparison of diet, muscle strength, steps per day and symptoms in people with HIV and HIV-negative peers. Research in Nursing & Health, 1– 11. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.22202
Oliveira, V.H.F., Erlandson, K.M., Cook, P.F., Jankowski, C., MaWhinney, S., Dirajlal-Fargo, S., Knaub, L., Hsiao, C., Horvat Davey, C., & Webel, A. (2021). The High-Intensity Exercise Study to Attenuate Limitations and Train Habits in Older Adults With HIV (HEALTH): A Research Protocol. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care: JANAC,10.1097/JNC0000000000000276. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1097/JNC.0000000000000276.
Horvat Davey, C., Dolansky, M. A., Singh, M. K., & Aron, D. C. (2021). The interprofessional VA quality scholars program: Promoting predoctoral nursing scientists and their career trajectories. Nursing Outlook, 69(2), 221-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2020.08.003
Davey, C.H., Webel, A.R., Sehgal, A.R. Voss, J., Hsiao, C.P., Darrah, R., Litman, P., Perez, F., and Desai, N. (2020). Genetic Correlates of Patient-Reported Fatigue in Individuals with End Stage Renal Disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 42(12), 1042-1049. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945920919911
Horvat Davey, C., Perazzo, J. D., Vest, M., Josephson, R. A., Oliveira, V., Sattar, A., & Webel, A. R. (2020). The relationship of cardiorespiratory function, fatigue and depressive symptoms in PLHIV. AIDS care, 32(7), 877–881. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2019.1659920
Gunzler, D., Sehgal, A., Kauffman, K., Horvat Davey, C., Dolata, J., Figueroa, M., Huml, A., Pencak, J., and Sajatovic, M. (2020). Identifying Depression Phenotypes by Applying RDoC Domains to the PHQ-9. Psychiatry Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112872
Kauffman, K., Horvat Davey, C., Dolata, J., Figueroa, M., Gunzler, D., Huml, A., Pencak, J., Sajatovic, M., and Sehgal, A.R. (2020). Changes in Self-Reported Depressive Symptoms in the United States from 2005-2016. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. https://doi.org/10.1177/1078390320906194
Webel, A.R., Horvat Davey, C., Schexnayder, J., Currie, J., Al Battashi, H., Chang, J., and Longenecker C.T. (2020). The Impact of Perceived Cardiovascular Risk on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Behaviors in People with and without HIV Infection. JAIDS: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 83(5), 513-521. https://doi.org.10.1097/QAI.0000000000002290
Hugo Fernando de Oliveira, V., Currie, J., Horvat Davey, C., Josephson, R., Silva, D., Deminice, R., and Webel A.R. (2020). Weekday and Weekend Physical Activity and Stationary Behavior Patterns of People Living with HIV. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 31(3), 337-345. https://doi.org.10.1097/JNC.0000000000000156
Webel, A.R., Long, D., Rodriguez, B., Horvat Davey C., Buford, T.W., Crane, H.M., Mayer, K., Saag, M.S., & Willig, A.L. (2020). The PROSPER-HIV Study: A Research Protocol to Examine Relationships Among Physical Activity, Diet Intake, and Symptoms in Adults Living with HIV. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 31(3), 346-352. https://doi.org.10.1097/JNC.0000000000000145
Horvat Davey, C., Webel, A.R., Sehgal, A.R., Voss, J.G., & Huml, A.M. (2019). Fatigue in Individuals with End Stage Renal Disease. Nephrology Nursing Journal, 46(5), 497-508. PMID: 31566345
Perazzo, J. D., Currie, J., Horvat Davey, C., Lambert, J., & Webel, A. R. (2019). Depression and Social Capital in People Living with HIV. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 27(1), 54-61. https://doi.org.10.1111/jpm.12552
Horvat Davey, C., Dolansky, M.A., Harris, A.T., & Singh, M.K. (2019). Integrating a Reflective Learning Activity to Ensure Quality Improvement Project Success. Nursing Education Perspectives. https://doi.org.10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000610
* Featured in the 10th anniversary of the landmark Future of Nursing Report Special Issue, Innovations for the Future of Nursing.
Webel, A.R, Jenkins, T., Longenecker, C.T., Vest, M., Horvat Davey, C., Currie, J., Darrah, R., Litman, P., de Oliveria V., & Josephson, R. (2019). Relationship of HIV Status and Fatigue, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, Muscle Strength and Physical Activity. Journal of Association of Nurses in AIDS Care., 30(4), 392-404. https://doi.org.10.1097/JNC.0000000000000022