- Midwifery & Women's Health
- Writing (15 years in experience as a Bilingual Journalist prior to Nursing)
- Midwifery & Women's Health
- Underserved Populations
- Principal Investigator: Educated Guatemalan lay midwives about obstetrical emergencies using the Home Base Life Saving Skills Curriculum of the American College of Nurse Midwives.
- 2017: Rotary International to educate 200 Guatemalan lay midwives in the Peten $3,000
- 2009: One Nurse at a Time Scholarship for DNP research in Sarstun, Guatemala $1,000
- 2006: Nursing Scholarship Lakewood Hospital’s Auxiliary Group $1,000
Awards and Honors
- Garcia, K., Dowling, D., Mettler, G. (2018). Teaching Guatemalan traditional birth attendants about obstetrical emergencies. Midwifery, June(6), 36-38. (data based)
- Garcia, K. (2017). Mixed methods evaluation and teaching with Guatemalan lay midwives about obstetrical emergencies. Medical Research Archives, 5(11), 2-11. (Data-based).
- Garcia, K., Morrison, B, Savrin, C. (2012). Teaching Guatemalan midwives about postpartum hemorrhage. Journal of Maternal and Child Nursing, 37(1), 42-47. (Data-based).
- Garcia, K., Kilanowski, J., Morrison, B. (2012). Focus group with Guatemalan traditional midwives about postpartum hemorrhage. Online Journal of Cultural Competence in Nursing and Healthcare, 2(2), 1-10 (Data-based).
- Garcia, K.S. (2013). Mixed methods evaluation and teaching with Guatemalan traditional midwives regarding nursing interventions to manage postpartum hemorrhage. Journal Nursing Education and Practice, 3(10), 120-128 (Data-based).
Garcia, K. (2018). "The Lived Experience of Guatemalan traditional midwives struggle with obstetrical emergencies," at the Midwest Nursing Research Society's Annual Conference, Cleveland, OH, 4/14/2018. Competitive (Data Based).
- Garcia, K. (2018). “Teaching Guatemalan Midwives about Recognizing Obstetrical Emergencies,” at the 28th Annual American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) Conference in Savannah, GA, 5/20/2018. Competitive (Data-Based).
- Garcia, K. (2010). “Teaching Guatemalan Traditional Midwives About Postpartum Hemorrhage” at the 20th Annual ACNM, San Antonio, TX, 5/10/2010. Competitive (Data-Based).
- Garcia, K., & Savrin, C. (2010). “Mixed Methods Research on Teaching Guatemalan Midwives About Postpartum Hemorrhage” at Case Western Reserve University’s Research ShowCASE, 4/12/2010. Competitive (Data-Based).
- Garcia, K (2017). "Addressing Maternal Mortality in the Peten," Bradford Rotary January, Bradford Area High School February, Olean Rotary March, Zonta Club of Bradford April, Port Alleghany (PA) Rotary May, Salamanca Rotary June.
- Garcia, K (2013). "Postpartum Depression," The Guidance Center December. Garcia, K. (2014). "Bone Health," Smethport Senior Center January, Bradford Senior Center February, Salamanca Senior Center March, Bradford Regional Medical Center April
- Garcia, K. (2013). "The Care & Keeping of You: Puberty Lessons for Adolescents," Otto Eldred School District November.
- Garcia, K. (2013). "Women's Health," Smethport Christian Women's Organization January, Bradford Regional Medical Center Foundation February, American Refining Group March, Zippo Manufacturing Company April, KOA Speer Electronics May, Bradford Public Library June, Smethport Public Library July, Salamanca Public Library August, American Association of University Women September, Bradford Regional Medical Center October.
- Garcia, K. (2012). "What is a Midwife?" Bradford Regional Medical Center Foundation January, Bradford Rotary February, Port Alleghancy Rotary March, Zonta Club of Bradford April, Smethport Rotary May, Kiwanis Club of Bradford June, Kiwanis Club of Smethport July, Bradford Area School District PTA August, McKean County Collaborative Board September, University of Pittsburgh-Bradford Women's Studies Class October, Leadership McKean November.
- Garcia, K. (2012). "Career Choices," Bradford Area High School December.
News & Media Highlights
- Bogdan, R., (2016). Local midwife works to improve maternal, infant outcomes in Guatemala. Bradford Era, Oct. 3, 2016.
- Bell. D. (2016). Rotary International with Refuge International Working Together: Dr. Kimberly Garcia. Refuge International Website. Available from: http://www.refugeinternational.com/
- Averill, S. (2015) Kimberly G., DNP, CNM, WHNP, RN, BA. One Nurse at a Time Website.
- Hulings, S. (2012). Garcia excels as certified nurse-midwife. The Kane Republican, July, 23, 2012.
- Bogdan, R. (2012). Kimberly Garcia plies craft as midwife in Bradford. The Bradford Era, Oct. 8, 2012.
- Holiday, A. (2011). Garcia-Joins BRMC as Nurse Midwife. WESB RADIO 1490. Nov. 11, 2011.
- Townsend, A. (2010). CWRU nursing grad students teach Guatemalan midwives how to save lives of new mothers, babies. The Plain Dealer, March 23, 2010.
Medical Missions in Guatemala with Refuge International
- 2017: provided midwifery education as DNP in 11 villages in the Peten x 2 weeks, collected qualitative & quantitative data, a larger group of Guatemalan lay midwives doesn't exist in the data, currently working on publishing results.
- 2009: provided primary care in Sarstun as CNM, midwifery education as DNP candidate 1 week.
- 2008: provided primary care in San Raymundo as MSN student x 1 week.