Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- Exercise science
- Disability and Physical function
- Clinical trial design
- Mixed methods
- Rehabilitation and telemedicine
- Disability and wellness promotion
- Physical activity and Physical function
- Behavior change
- Principal Investigator, Developing and testing a SystemCHANGE weight management intervention in stroke survivors, American Heart Association: Beginning Grant-in-Aid (11BGIA7710003)
- Principal Investigator, Randomized controlled trial of a teleconference fatigue management plus physical activity intervention in adults with multiple sclerosis, National Multiple Sclerosis Society (RG4665-A-1)
- Principal Investigator, Examining a System CHANGE intervention in immune-mediated diseases, National Institutes of Health (1K01NR012975-01A1)
- Principal Investigator, Examining the efficacy of computer tablets to promote behavior change in people with disabilities, Research Program Committee: Clinical & Translational Science Collaborative
- Principal Investigator, Promoting Physical Activity in Adults with Multiple Sclerosis. National Institutes of Health (RO3HD060073-01A)
- Principal Investigator, Evaluating the benefits of Nintendo Wii Fit in people with MS, International Consortium of MS Centers
- Principal Investigator, Compare the effectiveness of a group wellness intervention to physical therapy in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (R36 HS015554-01)
- Plow, M. A., Mangal, S., Geither, K., Golding, M. (2016). A Scoping Review of Tailored Self-Management Interventions among Adults with Mobility Impairing Neurological and Musculoskeletal Conditions. Frontiers in Public Health, 4, 165. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2016.00165. [eCollection 2016].
- Bethoux, F., Palfy, D., Plow, M. A. (2016). Correlates of the Timed 25 foot Walk in a Multiple Sclerosis Outpatient Rehabilitation Clinic. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 39(2), 134-9. doi: 10.1097/MRR.0000000000000157.
- Plow, M. A., Golding, M. (2016). A Qualitative Study of Multiple Health Behaviors in Adults with Multiple Sclerosis. International journal of MS Care, 18(5), 248-256. doi: 10.7224/1537-2073.2015-065.
- Plow, M. A., Finlayson, M., Gunzler, D., & Heinemann, A. W. (2015). Correlates of participation in meaningful activities among people with multiple sclerosis. Journal of rehabilitation medicine, 47(6), 538-45. doi: 10.2340/16501977-1948.
- Plow, M., Bethoux, F., McDaniel, C., McGlynn, M., Marcus, B. Randomized controlled pilot study of customized pamphlets to promote physical activity and symptom self-management in women with multiple sclerosis. Clinical Rehabilitation, 2014; 28(2):139-48.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A qualitative study exploring the usability of Nintendo Wii Fit among persons with multiple sclerosis. Occupational Therapy International, 2013; doi: 10.1002/oti.1345.
- Plow, M., Moore, S., Kirwan, J., Katzan, I., Alberts, J. Randomized controlled pilot study of a SystemCHANGE™ weight management intervention in stroke survivors: rationale and protocol. Trials. 2013 May 7;14:130. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-14-130.
- Plow, M., Bethoux, F., Finlayson, M., Motl, R. Randomized controlled trial of a teleconference fatigue management plus physical activity intervention in adults with multiple sclerosis: rationale and research protocol. BMC Neurology. 2012; 12: 122.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M., Cho, C. Correlates of nutritional behaviors in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Disability and Health Journal. 2012; 5(4):284-91
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A qualitative study of nutritional behaviors in adults with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 2012; 44(6):337-50.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M., Cho, C. Correlates of stages of change for physical activity in adults with multiple sclerosis. Research in Nursing & Health, 2011; 34(5): 378-88
- Plow M., McDaniel C., Linder S., Alberts JL. A scoping review of exergaming for adults with systemic disabling conditions. Journal of Bioengineering & Biomedical Science, 2011; nS1:002.
- Finlayson, M., Preissner, K., Cho, C., Plow, M. Randomized trial of a teleconference-delivered fatigue management program for people with multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis Journal, 2011; 17(9):1130.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A scoping review of self-management interventions for adults with multiple sclerosis. PM&R: The Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation, 2011; 3: 251-262.
- Plow, M., Resnik L., Allen S. Correlates of physical activity among low-income older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 2011; 30(5): 629.
- Finlayson, M., Plow, M., Cho, C. Use of physical therapy services among middle aged and older adults with Multiple Sclerosis. Physical Therapy, 2010; 90(11): 1607-1618.
- Plow, M., Cho, C., Finlayson, M. Utilization of health promotion and wellness services among middle-aged and older adults with multiple sclerosis in the mid-west US. Health Promotion International, 2010; 25(3): 318-330.
- Finlayson, M., Peterson, L., Fujimoto, K., Plow, M. Rasch validation of the falls prevention Strategies Survey. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2009; 90(12): 2039-2046.
- Resnik, L., Plow, M. Measuring participation as defined by the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF): An evaluation of existing measures. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2009; 90(5): 856-866.
- Resnik, L., Plow, M., Jette, A. Development of CRIS: A measure of community reintegration of injured services members. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 2009; 46(4): 469-480.
- Plow, M., Resnik L., Allen S. Exploring physical activity behavior in persons with multiple sclerosis: A qualitative pilot study. Disability & Rehabilitation, 2009; 31(20): 1652-65.
- Plow, M., Mathiowetz, V. Lowe, D. Comparing individualized rehabilitation to a group wellness intervention for persons with multiple sclerosis. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2009; 24(1): 23-26.
Doctor of Philosophy
University of Minnesota
Bachelor of Arts
Residencies, Internships and Fellowships
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Funded by Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Funded by National Multiple Sclerosis Society
University of Illinois at Chicago