Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences
School of Medicine
- Machine learning and data mining
- Health care analytics
- Clinical research informatics
- Health services research
- Epidemiology and study design
- Application of machine learning and data mining methods to complex problems
- Patterns and trajectories of multimorbidity and associated outcomes
- Patterns of polypharmacy and associated risk factors
- Healthcare cost, utilization, and outcomes research
- Large administrative databases and national health surveys.
- Simulation modeling (e.g. Agent-based modeling)
- Data science and Informatics
Awards and Honors
KL2 Scholar of the Clinical and Translational Science Collaborative
Case Western Reserve University
- Schiltz NK, Warner DF, Sun J, Smyth KA, Gravenstein S, Stange KC, Koroukian SM. “The Influence of Multimorbidity on Leading Causes of Death in Older Adults With Cognitive Impairment.” Journal of Aging and Health. 2018 Jan. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ho VP, Steinhagen E, Angell K, Navale SM, Schiltz NK, Reimer AP, Madigan EA, Koroukian SM. "Psychiatric Disease in Surgically Treated Colorectal Patients." Journal of Surgical Research. 2018 March; 223:8-15.
- Ammori JB, Navale SN, Schiltz N, Koroukian SM. “Predictors of 30-d readmissions after gastrectomy for malignancy.” Journal of Surgical Research. 2018 Apr; 224:176-184.
- Koroukian SM, Basu J, Schiltz NK, Navale S, Bakaki PM, Warner DF, Dor A, Given CW, Stange KC. Changes in case-mix and health outcomes of Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries and managed care enrollees during the years 1992-2011. Med Care. 2018 Jan;56(1):39-46.
- Koroukian SM, Schiltz NK, Warner DF, Stange KC, Smyth KA. “Increasing Burden of Multimorbidity Across Gradients of Cognitive Impairment.” Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2017 Nov;32(7):408-417.
- Warner DF, Schiltz N, Stange KC, Given CW, Owusu C, Berger NA, Koroukian SM. " Complex multimorbidity and health outcomes in older cancer survivors" Family Medicine and Community Health. 2017 Jul; 5(2):129-138.
- Pahwa S, Schiltz NK*, Ponsky LE, Lu Z, Griswold MA, Gulani V. “Cost-effectiveness of MR Imaging-guided Strategies for Detection of Prostate Cancer in Biopsy-Naive Men.” Radiology. 2017 Oct;285(1):157-166.
- Koroukian SM, Schiltz NK, Warner DF, Given CW, Schluchter M, Owusu C, Berger NA. “Social determinants, multimorbidity, and patterns of end-of-life care in older adults dying from cancer.” J Geriatr Oncol. 2017 Mar;8(2):117-124.
- Schiltz NK, Warner DF, Sun J, Bakaki PM, Dor A, Given CW, Stange KC, Koroukian SM. "Identifying Specific Combinations of Multimorbidity that Contribute to Health Care Resource Utilization: an Analytic Approach." Medical Care. 2017 Mar;55(3):276-284.
- Robich MP, Schiltz NK, Johnston DR, Mick S, Krishnaswamy A, et al. Risk Factors and Outcomes of Patients Requiring a Permanent Pacemaker After Aortic Valve Replacement in the United States. J Card Surg. 2016 Aug;31(8):476-85.
- Koroukian SM, Schiltz N, Warner DF, Sun J, Bakaki PM, et al. Combinations of Chronic Conditions, Functional Limitations, and Geriatric Syndromes that Predict Health Outcomes. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Jun;31(6):630-7.
- Reimer AP, Schiltz N, Koroukian SM, Madigan EA. National Incidence of Medical Transfer: Patient Characteristics and Regional Variation. J Health Hum Serv Adm. 2016 Spring;38(4):509-28.
- Schiltz NK, Kaiboriboon K, Koroukian SM, Singer ME, Love TE. Long-term reduction of health care costs and utilization after epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia. 2016 Feb;57(2):316-24.
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Case Western Reserve University
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science