Postdoctoral Benefits Program
The Postdoctoral Benefits Program is administered through Garnett-Powers & Associates.
The Postdoctoral Benefits Program offers the following plans:
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Employee Assistance Program
Visit Garnett-Powers & Associates for more information. Garnett-Powers has developed a comprehensive webinar that explains many of the terms and features of the medical plans. Please take a moment to review this educational tool. All postdocs must either enroll in or waive the benefits.
If a postdoc chooses to enroll, the monthly single coverage premium must be paid for each Postdoc Scholar or Fellow¹ by the Principal Investigator (PI), grant, or department, or internal funds. Additional coverage levels (postdoc + 1 and postdoc + family) may also be paid for by PI/grant/department funds – this is at each PI’s discretion and contingent upon available funding. Any coverage level (beyond single) not being paid for by the PI will be charged to the postdoc and the premium will be taken out of his/her paycheck monthly.
¹Paid Direct Postdocs (not receiving a paycheck from CWRU) pay all costs from their funding source and will be billed directly by Garnett-Powers & Associates.
Postgraduate Audit Program
The Postgraduate Audit Program is available to individuals who hold MD, ND, DDS, or PhD degrees and are in training positions in CWRU research or clinical programs.
- Auditors pay ten percent of regular graduate tuition, plus the cost of books and materials. Please go to the Student Financial Services website for current graduate tuition rates and invoicing details.
- There will be no refunds should the auditor decide to withdraw from the course.
- Auditors may not be enrolled simultaneously in a degree program at CWRU.
- Auditors may only take two courses per semester and only with their faculty mentor's consent.
- Auditors may not enroll as a degree or non-degree student during the same semester while enrolled as a postgraduate audit student.
- Auditors will not receive a grade or course credit and the audited course will not appear on an existing CWRU transcript, nor will a transcript be generated for auditors new to the university.
- Auditors may not, at any subsequent time, apply for credit in any class audited through this program, nor may the class be applied towards a degree.
- All registered students are automatically billed for the CWRU Student Medical Plan (in the fall and spring terms) unless a waiver is submitted to the University Health Service by the deadline posted for each semester. You may complete the waiver online when registering in the Student Information System. Please visit the Student and Dependent Medical Plans page for additional details.
Once your application is processed, you will receive instructions for course registration via email.
- Email a request to the postgrad audit advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to release the advising hold on your registration, this will allow you to register.
- Once the hold has been released, log into the Student Information System (SIS) to register. Go to Enrolling in Classes for detailed instructions.
- Please review the Overrides and Permissions Information.
- Prerequisites: It is the student's responsibility to meet any prerequisites for courses.
- From the Student Center, you can view your academic info, as well as view the Searchable Schedule of Classes to access semester schedules. View the Searchable Schedule.
Registration deadlines will follow the University Academic Calendar.
A Fixed Deferred Income Annuity is available to members of the National Postdoctoral Association. This plan allows you to invest as little as $50 per month toward a purchase for future retirement income distributions. For more information, please visit the National Postdoctoral Association.
CWRU postdocs have access to setting up their own retirement plans with TIAA-Cref or Vanguard (with no fees) and can meet with representatives on campus. A schedule of when the TIAA-Cref and Vanguard reps are on campus is published on the Human Resources website.
For information and questions on payroll, please visit the Controller's Office.
CWRU uses the current year National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Research Service Award (NRSA) scale as the minimum salary/stipend guidelines for all Postdoc Scholar and Postdoc Fellow positions. These guidelines apply regardless of funding source.