** Postdoc Checklist **
Please download the Postdoc Checklist to ensure that you have completed all necessary forms, and have gathered all import information.
* Externally Funded Postdoctorates *
If you are externally funded, please download the EXT Postdoc Checklist to ensure that you have completed all necessary forms, and have gathered all import information.
Setting up a Bank Account - for international postdocs
Setting up a bank account and receiving a debit card by mail can take time (sometimes a couple of weeks). One needs to have extra cash in hand or have an international credit card. The Postdoc Office recommends having funds to cover your first two months in the USA available, if possible.
As an international postdoc, you need to apply in person for a bank account and you will need to provide the following information:
- Local (U.S.) Address - If you do not yet have a local address, you can still open a bank account, but you need to visit your branch or update your address information online as soon as you have a permanent U.S. address.
- Home Country Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Primary Form of ID / Original Passport
- Secondary Form of ID - This form of ID includes your photo, the issuing country, the ID number, and both the issue and the expiration dates: such as
- Non-U.S. driver's license from the following countries: Canada, China, Guam, India, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Taiwan, the U.K. and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- CWRU ID can also be used
Some major banking options in this area include Chase, PNC, Key Bank, and Huntington.
Social Security Number (SSN) - for international postdocs
Social Security Administration (SSA): https://www.ssa.gov/
Nine-digit Social Security number is your first and continuous connection with Social Security. It is used to identify and accurately record your covered wages or self-employment earnings. Application for the Social Security Card can be done only through appointment (see list of offices below). It can take 14 days to receive the Social Security card from the date of application. If one doesn't have a permanent local address during the application, one should provide the address of someone they trust.
You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers and avoid giving it out unnecessarily. A dishonest person who has your Social Security number can use it to get other personal information about you. Identity thieves can use your number and your good credit to apply for more credit in your name. You should be careful about sharing your number, even when you're asked for it.
Keep in mind that in many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.
Required documents: Passport, DS2019, I94, US address proof (lease document)
Social Security Administration (SSA) Office Addresses:
- 3401 Tuttle Rd, Shaker Heights, OH 44122
- 11601 Shaker Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44120
- 15250 S Waterloo Rd, Cleveland, OH 44110
- AJC FED BLDG, Anthony J. Celebrezze Federal Building, 1240 E 9th St RM 793, Cleveland, OH 44199
- 18711 Miles Rd, Warrensville Heights, OH 44128
- 3591 Park E Dr, Beachwood, OH 44122
- 7517 Lorain Ave, Cleveland, OH 44102
- 17513 Detroit Ave, Lakewood, OH 44107
- 7344 Pearl Rd, Middleburg Heights, OH 44130