National Council of State Boards of Nursing
111 East Wacker Dr.
Chicago, IL 60601-4277
International students must meet the Admission Requirements for the program they are applying to.
- Applications should be submitted approximately 1 year prior to enrollment.
Applicants need to have their transcripts evaluated. Common reasons to have your transcripts evaluated include GPA and degree equivalency, English Translation, and/or authentication of the documents. We suggest a course-by-course evaluation by a NACES organization such as World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or SpanTran. Evaluations range from $170 to $220, and their highly trained experts will work with you to create an evaluation that you can later submit to jobs or colleges.
Each applicant must document the ability to speak, read and write English as evidenced by satisfactory performance on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Students whose native language is English are exempt. For those whose native language is not English, the minimum acceptable scores are:
- TOEFL – 90 minimum if internet-based or 577 if paper-based. Scores can be sent officially through ETS using CWRU's school code 1105. *The FPB School of Nursing does not accept the TOEFL MyBest Scores.
- IELTS: 7.0 minimum. Scores can be verified online. Simply include your TRF number on your application and we will retrieve your scores.
International students please email email@example.com or leave an email on your voicemail so we can get back in touch with you in a timely manner.
- International students must present evidence of adequate financial resources to meet the expenses of full-time study and travel expenses to and from Cleveland. Financial assistance is not available from the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. The student must arrange for a sponsor who will provide full financial support. The sponsor must document their ability to financially support the student, including costs of tuition and fees, room and meals, books, incidentals and travel expenses.
- Students applying to clinical programs must be eligible for licensure as a registered nurse (RN) before enrollment in the program. To obtain RN licensure, the student can either 1) obtain licensure in a state other than Ohio and apply for reciprocity in Ohio, or; 2) sit for the licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) in Ohio. For information on how to become licensed in any state, you must obtain information from the specific state where you wish to become licensed. For the individual addresses of each State Board of Nursing, go to The National Council of State Boards of Nursing Website and then go to “Boards of Nursing.”
Once admitted to the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing at Case Western Reserve University, an application form for a student visa will be sent to the student. Upon enrollment at the university, the student must subscribe to the Student Medical Insurance Plan or provide proof of other medical insurance coverage.