International Students Admissions


National Council of State Boards of Nursing 
111 East Wacker Dr. 
Suite 2900
Chicago, IL 60601-4277
Telephone: 1.312.525.3600

International students must meet the Admission Requirements for the program that they select, including the Master’s of Science in Nursing, Doctorate of Nursing Practice or PhD in nursing. In addition, applications should be submitted approximately one year before the desired date of enrollment. English translations of transcripts are required.

Language Requirements

Each applicant must document the ability to speak, read and write English as evidenced by satisfactory performance on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted.

Test information can be obtained at: and

Students whose native language is English are exempt. For those whose native language is not English, the minimum acceptable scores are:

  • Internet-based TOEFL: 90
  • Paper-based TOEFL: 577
  • IELTS: 7.0

NOTE: FPB Admissions only accepts official IELTS scores in the mail (online scores are not accessible). Official scores are sent directly from IELTS. Mailed copies can be sent to:

FPB Admissions Coordinator
10900 Euclid Avenue 
Cleveland, OH 44106-7343

International students please email or leave an email on your voicemail so we can get back in touch with you in a timely manner.

Additional Requirements

  • International students must present evidence of adequate financial resources to meet the expenses of full-time study and travel expenses to and from Cleveland. Financial assistance is not available from the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. The student must arrange for a sponsor who will provide full financial support. The sponsor must document their ability to financially support the student, including costs of tuition and fees, room and meals, books, incidentals and travel expenses.
  • Students applying to clinical programs must be eligible for licensure as a registered nurse (RN) before enrollment in the program. To obtain RN licensure, the student can either 1) obtain licensure in a state other than Ohio and apply for reciprocity in Ohio, or; 2) sit for the licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) in Ohio. For information on how to become licensed in any state, you must obtain information from the specific state where you wish to become licensed. For the individual addresses of each State Board of Nursing, go to The National Council of State Boards of Nursing Website and then go to “Boards of Nursing.”

Once admitted to the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing at Case Western Reserve University, an application form for a student visa will be sent to the student. Upon enrollment at the university, the student must subscribe to the Student Medical Insurance Plan or provide proof of other medical insurance coverage.