Non-Degree Student Application Procedure

Students who hold an undergraduate degree and would like to enroll in classes for personal enrichment or to satisfy prerequisite graduate course requirements for future admission may enroll as a non-degree student through the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences. The associate dean is the advisor for all non-degree students and approves all registrations, drop/adds and withdrawals.


  • A one-page essay stating the reasons why you wish study at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences.
  • All non-degree applicants must submit a final official degree conferring transcript with the baccalaureate degree posted in a sealed and signed envelope. (Case Western Reserve graduates do not need to submit transcripts.)
  • For courses that have "permission required" listed in the course catalog or the searchable schedule of classes, permission must be completed online through the instructor or department. Permissions must be done before registering on-line. All permissions are to be requested through the Student Information Systems. For classes offered outside of the Mandel School, please use these instructions.

University Academic Calendar and Registration

You can find other registration and enrollment information on the University’s Academic Calendar. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office for deadlines and course scheduling for the Mandel School.

Non-Degree Students
A student who wishes to register as a non-degree student should submit the non-degree application and evidence that a bachelor’s degree has been earned.

  • Students may enroll in undergraduate-level and graduate-level courses. Continuation in non-degree status is at the discretion of the associate dean of academic affairs.
  • Applicants who are interested in transferring course work into graduate degree programs are encouraged to seek early advice from the departments to which they intend to apply to insure that courses taken as non-degree students will satisfy university requirements.
  • Non-degree students cannot assume that they will be admitted to any graduate degree program or that all course work taken will transfer into the program.
  • Courses transferred from non-degree status must have been taken within five years of the first term of matriculation as a degree-seeking student and passed with a grade of B or better.
  • Non-degree students are not permitted to enroll in more than 15 credit hours of coursework in the program. In order to continue taking courses in that program, the student must be accepted into the graduate degree program.
  • International students will be permitted to enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours per term.

Steps for Registration First-time Non-degree Registrants

  1. Complete the Non-degree Application
  2. Send your transcripts to the Mandel School Admissions office, suite 207 in the Mandel School building.
  3. The Mandel School will process your application. You will receive an email with further instructions on how to activate your CWRU network ID (if applicable) and to register using the Student Information System (SIS).

Non-first-time Registrants

  1. Email a request to David Miller to release the advising hold on your registration. This will allow you to register.
  2. Once the hold has been released, log into the Student Information System(SIS) to register.

All Registrants
REGISTER for your selected courses in SIS (go to Enrolling in Classes for detailed instructions)

Case Western Reserve Employees

  • Complete the Certification for Tuition Waiver and submit it to Human Resources. 
  • Tuition waivers can be emailed to Please pay particular attention to the Drop/Add deadline to avoid potential financial penalties. Please note that as a CWRU employee, it is your responsibility to inquire about your eligibility status for the Tuition Waiver. If financial penalties are incurred due to ineligibility of the waiver, it is the responsibility of the employee to pay such penalties. For more details, call: 216.368.3582.

The completed application should be returned to:

Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences Case Western Reserve University
Office of Admissions
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106-7164