Fully Accredited

Accredited by the CSWE Board of Accreditation

The Master of Social Work (MSW) at Case Western Reserve University’s Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education's (CSWE) Board of Accreditation. In fact, we have been accredited since 1919, the first year graduate social work education was available.

Additionally, our Master of Nonprofit Organizations (MNO) program became fully accredited by the Nonprofit Academic Centers Council (NACC) on July 1, 2019—one of just nine graduate programs ever accredited by NACC, the only program in Ohio and the only program housed in a school of social work. The MNO was first launched as a certificate in 1987, then as a full master’s degree program in 1989, making it one of the first nonprofit leadership programs in the United States.

Female presenting professor teaching in front of students

Accreditation of a master’s social work program by the Council on Social Work Education’s Board of Accreditation indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of program quality evaluated through a peer reviewed process. An accredited program has sufficient resources to meet its mission and goals and the Board of Accreditation has verified that it demonstrates compliance with all sections of the Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards.

Accreditation applies to all program sites and program delivery methods of an accredited program. Accreditation provides reasonable assurance about the quality of the program and the competence of students graduating from the program.

We have recently completed our reaccreditation process and have been fully reaffirmed until October 2025. You may review our most recent Outcome Assessment Report provided to CSWE.

Case Western Reserve University is regionally accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).

Fulfills Licensure Requirements

The MSW degree fulfills many of the educational requirements of social work licensure in all 50 states in the United States. To become licensed in any state, MSW graduates must also apply for their license and pass the appropriate social work licensing exam. If you’re getting a clinical social work license or a license to practice independently, you’ll also need to complete supervised practice, commonly referred to as supervision. For an explanation of the various licensing requirements for social workers, please visit the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB).