We welcome international students to apply for admission to all of our academic programs.
- Scholarships help make your education affordable
- An internal Office of International Affairs helps with your transition to the Mandel School and the United States
- Membership with LINK (Local InterNational Konnection) student group offers leadership development opportunities and diverse community to support your experience at Mandel School
- The Office of International Student Services at Case Western Reserve University provides additional support
In addition to our standard application requirements, international students must also provide the following information:
All international and domestic applicants with a bachelor’s degree earned from a country outside of the United States Educational System are required to submit a World Education Services (WES) Report for credential evaluation upon applying to our Masters programs.
If you are an international student with an earned 4-year bachelor’s degree awarded from a U.S. based institution, you do not need to provide a WES Report. If your degree was earned at an institution outside of the United States educational system, regardless of semester or yearlong study abroad completion, you must submit a WES Report.
Students may submit the Mandel School’s online applications for admission before the WES Report is received by our office, but student materials will not be reviewed until a WES Report is received.
Note: WES offers two types of reports, to apply to the Mandel School, you should order a Course-By-Course evaluation. Required documents vary by the country in which the degree was earned and the level of education received. Get the details.
- See details for WES Report requirements, processing and document ordering.
- Learn about associated fees and requirements.
Demonstration of English Proficiency
If English is not recognized as your country's official language, you will be required to submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score. The Mandel School code for TOEFL is 1105.
- The minimum TOEFL required scores are 577 (paper-based) or 90 (internet-based)
- The minimum score for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is 7.0
Official results of this test must be forwarded to the Mandel School Office of Admissions.
You are exempt from proficiency testing if you meet any of the following criteria:
- English is recognized as your country of birth's official language according to the CIA directory of official languages per country
- You have completed work at an international university where English is the language of instruction
- You have studied at or graduated from an American institution
Proof of Financial Support
If admitted to the program, international students must provide proof of financial support. Once admitted, you will be asked to provide original bank documents as evidence of support to cover educational and living expenses for one academic year. This supporting documentation will be required to confirm enrollment and initiate the appropriate immigration and visa process. The proof of financial support can include all scholarship awards from the Mandel School.
PhD in Social Welfare
We consider your career goals, and how well they match our program, and your personal statement and research interests to make sure there is a good match between you and our faculty members’ research interests. Learn how to apply to our PhD program.