Facility Use

The facilities and services of Case are maintained primarily to serve the needs of the university community - teaching, research, scholarship, administration, and social events. All individuals and groups using university facilities and services are expected to abide by the rules of conduct described here.

The university reserves the right to withhold from any individual or group the use of university facilities or service when, in the opinion of the university's officers, such use is not in the best interest of the institution or may place the university in a position of legal liability, or when the individual or group has failed to settle debts for previous activities.

Generally, campus facilities are made available in the following order of priority:

  1. Case teaching and research activities
  2. University meetings and conferences
  3. Student activities
  4. Alumni activities
  5. Nonprofit organizations, with preference given to professional and learned societies, and to other University Circle member institutions
  6. Other organizations when the event is related to the university's interests

Case's campus facilities are not made available to individuals for private functions, with exception of memorial services or weddings in Amasa Stone and Harkness Chapels, and then only for members of the campus community (faculty, staff, students, alumni, members of governing boards, their parents or children). In connection with a wedding or memorial service held on campus, a reception may also be held in an appropriate university facility.

For use by outside organizations and regarding memorial services and weddings, email Customer Service/Facility Operations or call at 216.368.3636.

Student Groups and Campus Organizations

Recognized student organizations will be provided with space for their activities to the extent that it is available. These organizations will be furnished with office space without charge when it is available. Charges for the use of facilities other than necessary office space may be assessed by the university in certain circumstances, such as:

  1. When the requested facility must be opened during a university recess.
  2. When the proposed use of the facility results in the need for special cleaning or repair work.
  3. When the requesting organization plans to charge for admission to the event.
  4. When a gymnasium or other facility is to be used for purposes other than those for which it was designed.

Requests for student use of university facilities and services should be directed to the Thwing Center Administrative Office. Recognized student organizations will be provided with space for their activities to the extent that it is available.

Campus organizations which are not part of the university's formal educational program but whose membership is composed principally of students or employees of the university, may request the use of university facilities or services. Such a request must be submitted in writing to the vice president and university marshal, describing the purpose and the time period for which the facilities or services are desired, and listing the name of the university employee or student who would assume responsibility on behalf of the requesting organization. If the request is granted, the organization may not allocate to any other group or individual, either on or off campus, any portion of the facilities or services provided. Charges and other conditions of use will be stated by the university at the time the request is granted.

Political Issues and Activities

The university does not take positions on political issues other than those which relate directly to its own mission. University facilities and services may not be used for political fund-raising or to advocate a partisan position, and requests for their use will not be granted for activities which may cause the university to appear to be taking a position with regard to a public issue or a candidate for public office. This restriction also applies to the use of campus mail services, university mailing lists and labels, duplicating and printing equipment, and telephones belonging to the university.

This is subject to the Freedom of Expression / Expressive Activities Policy and its procedures and operating rules.