In early 2016, university leaders directed UTech to centralize IT, including both staff and systems. The key objectives of this effort included:
- Reducing the university's information security risk;
- Enhancing ongoing management of existing and emerging information security threats;
- Improving business continuity and disaster recovery readiness;
- Improving the IT experience across the university; and,
- Optimizing university investments in IT.
The centralization effort has provided important improvements to the university’s security and business continuity posture related to administrative data and systems. As a research institution, we also have risk exposure related to the possible loss or exposure of data used in research, teaching and other university-related faculty activities. The ongoing server centralization effort requires the involvement of both faculty and UTech staff to continue to address these key objectives.