Why is this important?
Tobacco use is one of the leading causes of preventable death. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention describe numerous negative effects associated with the use of tobacco (e.g., coronary health disease, stroke, and various cancers).
Tobacco Cessation Group Program
Eight-week sessions are available each quarter throughout the year. A representative from ease@work, our Employee Assistance Program vendor, leads each session.
Look for a new 8-week series in January 2018.
Goals of the program include:
- Assess readiness to end tobacco use
- Identify reasons for wanting to quit and the barriers to quitting. What are your motivations? How do you stay focused?
- Develop awareness around when you smoke in order to identify triggers and make a plan for behavior change
This program is a step-by-step program for ending nicotine use through self-discovery and group support, including aspects of behavior change, importance of good nutrition, exercise and stress management. Faculty, staff, and students can participate in the program. There is no out-of-pocket cost for this class, but registration is required.
Email Valerie Clause at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216.325.9323 to register.
Quit Line Program | Individual Coaching
The Tobacco Cessation Quit Line Program offers benefits-eligible employees science-based tools and resources so you can take control of your habit. You will be five times more likely to succeed than someone who does not enroll.
Benefits of the program include:
- No cost to you
- A personalized coaching program with a professional Quit Line coach
- Up to five convenient-to-schedule calls with your coach, plus the option to call the Quit Line anytime you need help
- Coaches available from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST
- Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) - Patches, gum, or lozenges
- Clinical Guides on tips for quit success from the leading respiratory experts in the country
Read more about 800 Quit Line.
Enroll today: 1-800-QUIT-NOW
SelfHelpWorks | On-line Tobacco Cessation
The LivingFree program from our partners at SelfHelpWorks is a multi-media presentation designed to give you a similar experience to what you would have in a live class. This ten session program can be completed in as few as four weeks.
Read more: LivingFree Smoking Cessation Program
To register, follow the prompts on the SelfHelpWorks page of this website.
CWRU Benelect Plan Resources
Anthem's Health Assistant
This self-guided, on-line program supports quitting tobacco use in a way similar to telephonic on-on-one coaching.
In addition, Anthem has created these helpful articles to support efforts to be smoke free:
Medical Mutual SuperWell QuitLine
This free SuperWell QuitLine offers support with quitting as well as four weeks of nicotine replacement therapy if needed.
CVS offers tobacco cessation coverage under the CWRU prescription plan:
- No prior authorization required
- $0 copayment for all Anthem and Medical Mutual PPO and CleCare participants
- Annual limit of 2 cycles (12 weeks per cycle) for any combination of:
- Brand and Generic nicotine replacement products (nicotine patch, gum and lozenges)
- Brand (Chantix, Zyban) and Generic Medications
- Prescription is required for all OTC products
The CVS Caremark portal allows participants to create a personal profile.
On-line Options for Those Who Want to Quit
Along with the CWRU options, there are a number of on-line programs and apps that may help. Groups like the National Cancer Institute, the American Cancer Society and more, offer free options for anyone. Find links and learn more: Internet-Based Tobacco Cessation Interventions
|Livestrong: My Quit Coach||Free||Apple|
|SmartQuit||Fee-based, full program $50||Android|