Make Healthy Choices at Catered Meetings
The Wellness Program is working with the Nutrition Faculty and Bon Appetit to help faculty and staff make better decisions when eating on campus.
Check out the Bon Appetit Catering Guide and look for the "Spartan's Choice" logo. These menu items were thoughtfully chosen to nourish mind and body and reduce fatigue.
Or if you are looking for more general guidelines, please review this "Meeting Well" chart:
If you're struggling with counting calories, managing a dietary disease, or simply want some motivation when it comes to healthy eating, work with a nutritionist from Impact Solutions.
A personal nutritional coach can be your navigator when it comes to maneuvering menus or finding healthy grocery store picks.
A nutritional coach can help you:
- Choose healthy foods to fight off disease.
- Find low-calorie, low-fat recipes.
- Select foods to manage a dietary disease, such as type II diabetes or celiac disease.
- Make educated choices by reading and understanding nutrition labels.
Benefits-eligible faculty and staff are invited to call Impact Solutions at 1-800 227-6007 to schedule your first of up to five free sessions with a nutritionist who will help you get on the right track to a healthier lifestyle.
Bon Appetit Management Company
CWRU is fortunate to have Bon Appetit—a strong supporter of sound nutrition—as our food service vendor. Bon Appetit’s kitchen principles focus on:
- Fresh, seasonal, and regional products
- Sustainably raised and organically grown products when possible
- Food cooked from scratch
- A wide choice of healthy menu items
Well-being is supported in various ways through the strategies implemented and utilized by Bon Appetit. Learn more by visiting Cafe Bon Appetit.
A wider variety of healthier food options are now present in vending machines on campus. Look for the green spirals, which indicate that item meets nutriSNACK guidelines.
AVI Foodsystems, our vendor, created the nutriSNACK selections to make it easier for customers to purchase items that meet the following criteria:
- 220 or fewer total calories per serving
- 30 percent or fewer calories from fat (nuts exempt)
- 1.5 or fewer grams of saturated fat
- Zero grams of trans fat
- 400 or fewer milligrams of sodium
- 35 percent or less sugar by weight (100 percent fruit items exempt)
- or meets four of the above criteria AND has at least 10 percent of the daily value of one of the following: vitamins A, C or E; iron; calcium; protein; or fiber.
“Live healthy. Eat healthy. Be healthy” is the motto for the nutriSource program at AVI. As the university expands employee health and wellness opportunities on campus, increasing the availability of healthier food items makes sense.
In addition, new “wellness” machines have been placed in three locations on campus: Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing ground floor, Kelvin Smith Library and the Sears Building). These units house healthy snacks and fresh food items that meet AVI’s nutriGOOD, nutriWISE and nutriSNACK guidelines.
Choosing a wide variety of healthy foods throughout the day will help you stay healthy. Additional nutritional information may be found on the following websites: