The Biostatistics & Bioinformatics Shared Resource (SR) provides and coordinates statistical, bioinformatics, and clinical informatics research support to Case Comprehensive Cancer Center (Case CCC) members in the design, planning, conduct, analysis, and reporting of research studies. Case CCC staff play a key role in protocol review and study monitoring.
- Study Design and Protocol Development
- Review of Cancer Center Protocols
- Data and Study Monitoring
- Biostatistical and Bioinformatics Analysis and Reporting
- Database Development and Management
- Participation in Educational and Training Activities at the Case CCC
- The Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR is available to help all investigators who are members of the Case CCC with their cancer-related projects.
- There is no charge to cancer center members for assistance with the development of grants and proposals and on cancer center pilot studies.
- On billable projects, investigators support Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR personnel for their time via hourly chargeback, coverage of a fixed percent effort in grants or contracts, or negotiation of a fixed fee. The success of longer-term projects is enhanced by support from Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR personnel.
- Including Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR members as co-authors is expected when they have contributed to a publication in terms of meeting accepted standards for co-authorship (e.g., Annals of Internal Medicine 1977; 126: 36-47). Payment for services is not a substitute for co-authorship.
- Acknowledgment of the Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR from the Case CCC (NCI grant # P30 CA043703) in scientific manuscripts is required.
- Please seek help from the SR well in advance of deadlines so we can assure you the assistance you require.
While the Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR is obligated to provide support only for cancer-related projects, non-members can use the services as well. Services are divided into billable and non-billable activities.
- Nonbillable activities include time spent on pre-award activities, such as but not limited to: proposal, grant, or protocol development, with expectations that the SR support will be budgeted. In addition, the Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR supports cancer center pilot studies and work on studies where funding is provided for the member of the SR either as a flat fee or percent FTE on a grant, or institutional support. Time spent by Biostatistics & Bioinformatics SR members in educational, teaching, protocol review, and other administrative activities is not charged.
- Billable activities include all other services used for data analysis, programming, scientific manuscript writing, and data processing not otherwise funded.
Case CCC members receive free support for all non-billable activities. Non-members are charged for all cancer-related activities. Cancer Center investigators at the Taussig Cancer Institute who receive support only from Taussig Cancer Institute personnel are not billed because institutional support is provided.
Shared Resource Members
Contact for More Information
Wolstein Research Building, CWRU
Health Space Building HS1-570, Cleveland Clinic
|Biostatistical support at CWRU/UH: Mireya Diaz, PhD
|Bioinformatic support at CWRU/UH: Mark Cameron, PhD
|Shared Resource Manager: John Pounardjian, MBA