Financial Aid FAQs

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

A: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Q: What is the deadline to apply for Financial Aid?

A: All students are encouraged to apply early. Undergraduates are encouraged to apply by February 1. Graduate students are encouraged to apply no later than June 1.

Graduate students: Financial Aid Award Letters are mailed only to those that have been offered admission.

Q: How is financial need determined?

A: An estimated Cost of Attendance is created for the student based on living arrangements, i.e commuter, on-campus or off-campus. The student's actual expenses may be more or less than these expenses.

  • The financial data reported on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is used to calculate an Estimated Family Contribution. This calculation is based on a standard formula determined by the U.S. Congress. This formula estimates the amount the student is expected to contribute toward his/her educational expenses.
  • The Estimated Family Contribution and any Other Resources such as funds from grants, scholarships or veteran's benefits are then subtracted from the estimated Cost of Attendance to determine the student's financial need, which is the maximum amount the student may receive in financial aid funds.
    • Learn how to get an estimate of your estimated family contribution.

Q: How much is offered in University and Bolton Scholarships?

A: Incoming undergraduates are offered a University Scholarship or Bolton Scholarship. Students will be awarded only one scholarship. The scholarships range from $11,500 to $32,000. Scholarships are awarded at the point of admission. No additional application is required.

Q: How many years can you receive University or Bolton Scholarships?

A: First-year students entering the BSN program may receive the University or Bolton Scholarship for a maximum of four years. BSN transfer students may receive the Bolton Scholarship for a maximum of three years.

Q: Is there a separate application for the University or Bolton Scholarship?

A: No. The Scholarships are determined at the point of admission.

Q: Is there financial aid for graduate students?

A: Yes, the School of Nursing offers merit scholarships to a select group of students that have been offered admission to our MSN and Graduate Entry Master's of Nursing Program. Merit scholarships are primarily based on cumulative grad point average and science grade point average.

Q: Are there grants and scholarships for graduate students?

A: Yes, we offer a limited number of grants and scholarships. If you are employed as a nurse with one of our collaborating partners, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Metro Hospitals, Akron Children's Hospital or the Veterans Administration, you are eligible for a tuition grant equal to 20% of tuition. Please contact our Financial Aid Director, Dedra Hanna-Adams at for more information.

Q: How much does it cost to attend CWRU?

A: Tuition for 2022-2023 is $61,040 for full-time undergraduate students. Undergraduates are encouraged to live on campus. Find more information on tuition, room and board costs 

  • MSN, PhD, and post masters DNP students are billed per credit hour. The current rate is $2,263 per credit for MSN, $2,308 per credit for DNP and PhD students are billed at $2,119 per credit. Learn more about tuition rate information.

Q:  What happens if I do not file by FAFSA by the recommended deadline?

A:  You may file your FAFSA at anytime during the academic year, but you may not have the monies you need for books and other living expenses when you need it.  

Q: Other than the FAFSA, are there any other forms I need to complete?

A: Yes, most students are required to complete the online CWRU Financial Aid Form. The form is available online. You will need your CWRU Network ID and password. A Memo of Assistance (MOA) is required for graduate students. The online MOA is available on the FPB  Financial Aid homepage, labeled "Memo of Assistance." Contact the Director of Financial Aid for the School of Nursing at for additional information.

Q: I want to buy my books before the first day of class. Will my financial aid be disbursed early?

A: Students may request an advance on their refund one week prior to the start of the semester. Contact the Director of Financial aid for the School of Nursing at  

Q: Do I need to complete a FAFSA every year?

A: Yes, you must complete a FAFSA for each academic year you want to be considered for federal student aid along with the other required documents.  

Q: What if my question is not listed?

A: You may submit questions via the university's Office of Financial Aid website at A financial aid counselor will respond to your questions by email. You may also email Dedra Hanna Adams, Director of Financial Aid for the School of Nursing with questions regarding financial aid.

Q: Do I need to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to be eligible for financial aid?

Yes. Federal regulations (General Provision CFR 668.34) require that students at the School of
Nursing maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
to retain eligibility for Federal aid, merit
scholarships, and nurse faculty loan consideration. The School of Nursing reviews the academic progress of
all students who apply for and/or receive financial assistance at the end of each academic year
of enrollment in May. All coursework taken during the academic year, including summer
session, will be reviewed.