Welcome New Students!
Welcome to the Jack, Joseph & Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences! Congratulations on being accepted to the 9th ranked social work school in the country, and the number one graduate social work program in Ohio. We’re looking forward to supporting you through Orientation and sharing the essential elements to help you begin the journey toward becoming a successful graduate student. Our goal is to ensure the best start possible to your graduate education and your development as a Change Agent.
For Fall 2021, the Mandel School is offering orientation programming in two parts: online in Canvas, the learning management system used at Case Western Reserve University and live, in-person events on campus.
To help you prepare for the fall semester, we are sharing some important information about the orientation structure, what to expect and how to move through the orientation process.
Registration for Live Orientation Session
All new students in the Mandel School On-Ground formats please register to attend a live, in-person orientation session on-campus. The sessions are listed below by degree:
- Intensive Weekend MSW Students | Saturday, August 7 | 9:00am-11:30am
- MNO and Dual Degree (MSW/MNO)* | Tuesday, August 10 | 2:00pm – 4:30pm
- MSW Weekly On-Ground* | Thursday, August 12 | 9:00am – 11:30am
*please note dual degree MSW students need to attend live sessions on August 10 and 12.
Once you have registered, details with the Calendar invitation and instructions will be emailed separately. Contact Kim McFarlin or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about orientation registration.
The plans for orientation are evolving as Case Western Reserve University policies and procedures adjust to address health, safety and academic considerations for fall 2021. To deliver information in a streamlined manner, all new, incoming Mandel School students in the On-Ground formats will receive orientation materials via Canvas. Case Western Reserve University uses Canvas as the campus Learning Management System. To access Canvas, visit the Canvas website. For an overview of Canvas for Students, you can visit the Getting Started for Students Canvas Guide. The platform allows you to complete the accessible orientation resources and pre-recorded modules at a pace and time convenient for you.
Mandel School Student Orientation is divided into asynchronous modules, which you can access anytime from anywhere with an internet connection. You may start and stop the modules at any point and continue where you stopped at any time. Each module includes videos, written content, and links to get more information on being a student at CWRU, academic integrity, finding support, and COVID-19 resources.
Students will receive an email notification through Case email when the Mandel School Orientation Modules go live in August 2021. Once you receive the email message, you will need to accept the invitation to enter the Canvas site. You will begin at the first section or module entitled Welcome to Orientation! Start Here. You may move through each section at your own pace. Although there is not a grade for Orientation, all new students are required to fully complete the orientation materials by August 14. This will help you be prepared to successfully begin the fall semester!
In addition to the live session, international students will participate in other activities throughout August and an International Student Orientation on the morning of August 20. Details will be sent directly to students. Please contact Kim McFarlin, with questions about International Student Orientation.
- Resources for New Students – All new, incoming students are encouraged to visit the New Student Resources section with information to support a successful transition to graduate school at the Mandel School and Case Western Reserve.
- Find a Place to Live – Grad students may choose to live in off-campus rental housing in Cleveland or one of the surrounding communities. The Graduate Life Living Off Campus section provides information on rental basics, off-campus housing listings, neighborhood connections, and more.
- Explore Your New Community – Check out Discovering Cleveland to learn about the arts and culture scene, sporting events, parks, festivals, shopping, student discounts, and more. You can also learn about getting around town, via shuttles, rapid train, car, bus, and air.
- Learn about Canvas: Canvas is the Learning Management System at CWRU, providing campus members the tools and resources needed for in-person and online teaching and learning. Find out more at the University’s dedicated Canvas support site.
- Connect with Campus Groups, Resources, and Centers – CWRU offers a wide range of programs, events, and resources to help you navigate your experience and find what you need. Explore what’s available:
If you have any questions or issues during the orientation process, please send those inquiries to: Kim McFarlin and email@example.com.
Looking forward to seeing the next class of Change Agents!
The Mandel School Orientation Team