Welcome New Students!
Welcome to the Jack, Joseph & Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences! Congratulations on being accepted to the 9th ranked social work school in the country, and the number one graduate social work program in Ohio. We’re looking forward to supporting you through Orientation, when we will be sharing with you the essential elements that will begin your journey to becoming a successful graduate student. Our goal to ensure the best start possible to your graduate career and your development into a Change Agent.
The Mandel School and Case Western Reserve University are offering virtual, remote orientation in fall 2020 for all new students in on-ground formats.
To help you prepare for the fall semester, we are sharing some important information about the orientation structure, what to expect and how to move through the orientation process.
Registration for Live, Virtual Orientation Session
All new students in the Mandel School On-Ground formats need to register for one of the live, virtual orientations scheduled for Friday, August 14. The format and content will be the same in both sessions. The options include 11:00am-12:30pm EDT or 4:30pm-6:00pm EDT.
Please note Intensive Weekend students do not register for the August 14 sessions -- you will receive a separate communication with instructions about your live, virtual session on August 8.
- Intensive Weekend | Saturday, August 8 from 12:00pm-1:30pm
- On-Ground MSSA and MNO | Friday, August 14 at 11:00am-12:30pm and 4:30pm-6:00pm
- International Students | Friday, August 21 from 8:30am-10:00am
The plans for orientation are evolving as Case Western Reserve University policies and procedures rapidly change to address health, safety and academic considerations for fall 2020. To deliver information in a streamlined manner, all new, incoming Mandel School students in the On-Ground formats will receive orientation materials via Canvas. Case Western Reserve University uses Canvas as the campus Learning Management System.
To access Canvas, visit the Canvas web page. For an overview of Canvas for Students, you can visit the Getting Started for Students Canvas Guide. The platform allows you to complete the accessible orientation resources and pre-recorded modules at a pace and time convenient for you. An additional feature will be an inclusive Academic Tool Box with resources, links and materials for you to access over time.
To begin, students will receive a notification through Case email that you have been added to the Orientation course in Canvas. Once you receive the email message, you will need to accept the invitation to enter the Canvas site. You will begin at the first section or module entitled Welcome to Orientation! Start Here. You may move through each section at your own pace. Although there is not a grade for Orientation, all new students are required to fully complete the orientation materials by August 17. This will help you be prepared to successfully begin fall semester!
In addition to attending the mandatory live, virtual session on August 14, International Students will participate in virtual activities throughout August. Additional details will be sent directly to students. Please contact our Director of International Affairs, Kim McFarlin, with questions about International Student Orientation.
- Find a Place to Live – Grad students may choose to live in off-campus rental housing in Cleveland or one of the surrounding communities. The Graduate Life Living Off Campus section provides information on rental basics, off-campus housing listings, neighborhood connections, and more.
- Explore Your New Community – Check out Discovering Cleveland to learn about the arts and culture scene, sporting events, parks, festivals, shopping, student discounts, and more. You can also learn about getting around town, via shuttles, rapid train, car, bus, and air.
- Learn about Canvas. Canvas is the Learning Management System at CWRU, providing campus members the tools and resources needed for in-person and online teaching and learning. Find out more at the University’s dedicated Canvas support site.
- Connect with Campus Groups, Resources, and Centers – CWRU offers a wide range of programs, events, and resources to help you navigate your experience and find what you need. Explore what’s available:
Looking forward to seeing the next class of Change Agents!
The Mandel School Orientation Team