Welcome, New Students!
Welcome to the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences! We’re looking forward to supporting you throughout the orientation process and sharing essential elements that will help you begin a successful journey in your graduate education and development as a Change Leader.
For Fall 2022, the Mandel School is offering orientation programming in two parts:
- Live, in-person events on campus; and
- Online in Canvas, the learning management system used at Case Western Reserve University.
Live Orientation Sessions
All new students in the Mandel School on-campus formats must register to attend a live, in-person orientation session on-campus. The sessions are listed below by degree:
- MSW Intensive Weekend: Saturday, August 13 | 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- MNO and Dual Degree MSW/MNO*: Thursday, August 18 | 2 to 6 p.m.
- MSW On-Campus Weekly*: Friday, August 19 | 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
*Dual degree MSW/MNO students need to attend live in-person sessions on August 18 and 19.
Once you have registered, instructions and a calendar invitation will be sent separately. Please contact the Mandel School Student Services team with any questions about orientation registration.
International Student Orientation
In addition to the live session, international students will participate in other activities throughout August and an International Student Orientation on the morning of Friday, August 26. Details will be sent directly to students. Please contact the Mandel School Student Services team with any questions about International Student Orientation.
The plans for orientation are still evolving as Case Western Reserve policies and procedures adjust to address health, safety and academic considerations for Fall 2022. To deliver information in a streamlined manner, all new, incoming Mandel School students in the on-campus formats (MSW weekly, Intensive Weekend and MNO) will receive orientation materials via Canvas. For an overview, view the Getting Started for Students Canvas Guide. The platform allows you to complete the accessible orientation resources and pre-recorded modules at a pace and time convenient for you.
Online orientation is divided into asynchronous modules, which you can access anytime from anywhere with an internet connection. You may start and stop the modules at any point and continue where you left off at any time. Each module includes videos, written content and links for more information on being a student at CWRU, academic integrity, finding support and COVID-19 resources.
Students will receive an email notification through their CWRU email when the orientation modules go live in August. Once you receive the email message, you will need to accept the invitation to enter the Canvas site. Begin at the first module, "Welcome to Orientation! Start Here." and then move through each section at your own pace. Although there is not a grade for orientation, all new students are required to fully complete the orientation materials by Friday, August 19.
Resources for New Students
All new, incoming students are encouraged to visit the Student Advancement web page for information that supports a successful transition to graduate school.
- Find a Place to Live: Grad students may choose to live in off-campus rental housing in Cleveland or one of the surrounding communities. Graduate Student Housing's Living Off Campus site provides information on rental basics, off-campus housing listings, neighborhood connections and more.
- Explore Your New Community: Check out Discovering Cleveland to learn about the arts and culture scene, sporting events, parks, festivals, shopping and student discounts, as well as how to get around town via shuttles, rapid train, car, bus and air.
- Discover Campus Groups, Resources for Students and CWRU Student Affairs: CWRU offers a wide range of programs, events and resources to help you navigate your experience and find what you need.
If you have questions or issues during the orientation process, please contact the Mandel School Student Services team. We look forward to seeing the next class of Change Leaders!