Make Healthy Choices at Catered Meetings
The Wellness Program is working with the Nutrition Faculty and Bon Appetit to help faculty and staff make better decisions when eating on campus.
Check out the Bon Appetit Catering Guide 2017-18 and look for the "Spartan's Choice" logo. These menu items we thoughtfully chosen to nourish mind and body and reduce fatigue.
Or if you are looking for more general guidelines, please review this "Meeting Well" chart:
If you're struggling with counting calories, managing a dietary disease, or simply want some motivation when it comes to healthy munching, nutritional coaching may be for you.
In today's world of options, a nutritional coach can be your navigator when it comes to maneuvering menus or finding healthy grocery store picks.
A nutritional coach can help you:
- Choose healthy foods to fight off disease.
- Find low-calorie, low-fat recipes.
- Revamp what you put in your grocery cart during a 1-hour grocery store tour.
- Select foods to manage a dietary disease, such as type II diabetes or celiac disease.
- Understand the impact of food journaling.
- Make educated choices by reading and understanding nutrition labels.
When you call EASE@Work, you will be connected directly to the intake staff who will notify the nutritional coach of your needs. The nutritional coach will contact you to schedule an appointment that is convenient with your schedule.
This benefit is provided through your employer, for you and your dependent family members. Three free one-hour sessions are available through the EatWell@Work program.
To speak directly with the intake staff, call 216.241.3273 or 800.521.3273. If you prefer to schedule your appointment online, visit the nutritional coaching page on easeatwork.com. Enter your Member ID: CWRU and Password: EASE. ID and password are case sensitive; use all caps.
Healthy Meal Prep and Recipe Ideas from Vitamix
Check out the Vitamix Newsletter for menu options and meal prep shortcuts. Blenders can help you make more than just smoothies!
Bon Appetit Management Company
CWRU is fortunate to have Bon Appetit—a strong supporter of sound nutrition—as our food service vendor. Bon Appetit’s kitchen principles focus on:
- Fresh, seasonal, and regional products
- Sustainably raised and organically grown products when possible
- Food cooked from scratch
- A wide choice of healthy menu items
Well-being is supported in various ways through the strategies implemented and utilized by Bon Appetit. Learn more by visiting Cafe Bon Appetit.
A wider variety of healthier food options are now present in vending machines on campus. Look for the green spirals, which indicate that item meets nutriSNACK guidelines.
AVI Foodsystems, our vendor, created the nutriSNACK selections to make it easier for customers to purchase items that meet the following criteria:
- 220 or fewer total calories per serving
- 30 percent or fewer calories from fat (nuts exempt)
- 1.5 or fewer grams of saturated fat
- Zero grams of trans fat
- 400 or fewer milligrams of sodium
- 35 percent or less sugar by weight (100 percent fruit items exempt)
- or meets four of the above criteria AND has at least 10 percent of the daily value of one of the following: vitamins A, C or E; iron; calcium; protein; or fiber.
“Live healthy. Eat healthy. Be healthy” is the motto for the nutriSource program at AVI. As the university expands employee health and wellness opportunities on campus, increasing the availability of healthier food items makes sense.
In addition, new “wellness” machines have been placed in three locations on campus: Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing ground floor, Kelvin Smith Library and the Sears Building). These units house healthy snacks and fresh food items that meet AVI’s nutriGOOD, nutriWISE and nutriSNACK guidelines.
Choosing a wide variety of healthy foods throughout the day will help you stay healthy. Additional nutritional information may be found on the following websites: