This space is intended for events, ensemble performances, student recitals, dress rehearsals, recording sessions, as well as academic classes. It is not intended to support individual practice, lessons, or other unrelated activities. The last 2 weeks of each semester are typically held for CWRU Music events.
The responsible party listed on the Harkness Chapel Reservation Request agrees to adhere to the Harkness Chapel Rules for Use and General Housekeeping Rules. This historic and valuable building should be treated with the utmost respect. Disregarding regulations and any resulting damages will be billed to the person who made the reservation. Furthermore, the individual/group may not be permitted to use Harkness Chapel in the future. All student event staff have gone through training; regard for their authority is expected. Event staff will remain on-site during the event.
Checking the box on the Harkness Chapel Reservation Request signifies that the individual/group has read the usage guidelines outlined below and agrees to be the responsible party.
Harkness Chapel Policies
- A student is defined as a current Case Western Reserve University network ID holder who attends CWRU or CIM.
- Reservations must be received 3 business days in advance (not including Sat/Sun).
- Cancellations must be received 7 business days prior to an event.
- An event/activity is confirmed once a formal notification is received from the Department of Music.
- Student recitals are booked in 3-hour blocks (includes set up/tear down). Students can request any on the pre-populated calendar dates.
- Concerts are booked in 3-hour blocks with an additional 30-minutes of time on either end (please indicate set-up/tear-down time on request).
- Recital/concert fees include a single dress rehearsal with the performance (schedule permitting).
- Recording sessions and dress rehearsals are booked in 3-hour blocks.
- Harkness Classroom will serve as a backstage area during performances.
- All events require a Student Operations Staff Member (charged separately).
- Payments for CWRU Departments can be charged to a speedtype. All other payments can be made by check (written out to Case Western Reserve University or CWRU).
- Receptions are permitted in the foyer area with prior approval from the Dept. of Music. Permit paperwork is required and additional facilities/custodial services are provided.
- Submit a Special Event Notification Form to Summer Canter if the event requires additional facilities support services for a reception.
- Absolutely no alcohol permitted.
- Absolutely no food, beverages, or alcohol permitted in the Chapel area. Water bottles with lids are acceptable.
- Space is not available for storing equipment prior to or during an event.
- The Chapel is not available for special setup (i.e. equipment or decorations that require construction in the building or on its property, use of ladders, etc.).
- No outdoor setup of any kind (i.e. tables, tents, booths, etc.) may be placed on Chapel grounds.
- All items must be removed at the end of the event (i.e. programs, flowers, aisle runners, equipment, decorations, etc.). Additional materials should be disposed in the waste receptacles.
- CWRU is not responsible for any items left behind or stolen.
- The Department of Music must be advised in advance of any rented equipment supplied by outside vendors.
- During the academic year, audio recording services can be requested by submitting the Harkness Audio Service: Recording Request, or provided by an approved audio technician. Professional AV Services can be arranged directly through MediaVision.
- CWRU/CIM faculty, staff, and students can loan equipment from The Core Computer Lab (HYDN 16). Email Ken Wendt <email@example.com>.
- Do not place anything on top of the keyboard instruments.
- The piano is available for use by professional musicians. The harpsichord and organ are not to be touched and cannot be removed from the stage.
- Be very careful when moving the piano. Make sure it is locked with the cover put back on when done.
- Tossing/dropping rice, birdseed, confetti, or flower petals are not permitted. Bubbles are permitted.
- No candles permitted
- Tape, nails, staples, glue cannot be used on any surface (walls, floors, woodwork, glass, bronze, stone, etc.).
- Electrical outlets are limited in number, please plan in advance. Two located on the stage and one located near the storage area.
- Please assist with securing the windows/doors and turning off the lights before leaving.
- Please put all stands and chairs back on the racks before leaving.
- No pets or animals permitted in the Chapel or on CWRU property.
Before you leave:
- Return instruments to the original location (not over a stage air vent).
- Lock and cover the piano.
- Neatly rack music stands/chairs and return them to the side vestibule.
- Dispose of all trash in the proper receptacles. Food waste should be cleaned up. Check both the lobby and audience areas.
- Classroom (if used): dispose of all trash and return desks or chairs to their original location.
- Turn off all the lights.
- Shut and lock all the doors and windows.
*Failure to adhere to these policies will result in additional damage charges.
- Aisle length = 50 feet
- Capacity = 400 guests
- Equipment: Chairs = approx. 60 | Stands = approx. 50
- Instruments: Steinway grand piano | Harpsichords and portative organ
- Wedding parties will be on stage
The Department of Music will notify Public Safety/Campus Security about the opening and closing times for an event. A Student Operations Staff Member is also assigned and required for all events. They assist with keys, doors, piano access, lights, initial stage setup, but they are not expected to help with managing the event.
In case of an emergency:
- Emergency line 216.368.3333
- Non-emergency line 216.368.3300