This space is intended for events, ensemble performances, student recitals, dress rehearsals, recording sessions, as well as academic classes. It is not intended to support individual practice, lessons, or other unrelated activities. The last 2 weeks of each semester are typically held for CWRU Music events.
An external event requires a plan for review and approval by the Department of Music. As a first step, your Harkness Chapel Reservation Request will be reviewed by our department operations staff.
University Health and Counseling Services (UH&CS) is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our campus community. Masking is not required on campus, but those who wish to wear masks may do so. Individuals with symptoms of COVID, who have recently completed isolation for COVID, or who have been exposed to COVID should wear a well-fitting mask, as per CDC guidelines.
The responsible party listed on the Harkness Chapel Reservation Request agrees to adhere to the Harkness Chapel Rules for Use and General Housekeeping Rules. This historic and valuable building should be treated with the utmost respect. Disregarding regulations and any resulting damages will be billed to the individual or group who made the reservation. Furthermore, the individual or group may not be permitted to use Harkness Chapel in the future. All student event staff have gone through training; regard for their authority is expected. Event staff will remain on-site during the event.
- A student is defined as a current Network ID holder who attends CWRU or CIM.
- Reservations must be received by 4 PM at least 3 business days in advance.
- Cancellations must be made 7 days from your reservation confirmation (24-hrs when booking within the 3-day window). Failure to do so will result in a full charge of rental fees.
- Concerts and Special Events are booked with additional time on either end for set-up/tear-down (not exceeding 4-hours).
- Student Recitals are booked in pre-determined 3-hour blocks (includes set up/tear down): 12-3 PM (1 PM start), 3-6 PM (4 PM start), 6-9 PM (7 PM start).
- Recital/concert fees include a single 2-hour dress rehearsal with the performance (schedule permitting).
- Recording Services: During the academic year, recording services can be requested by submitting the Harkness Chapel Reservation Request. External AV Services can be arranged directly through Enharmonic Records or MediaVision | [U]Tech.
- Recording Sessions are booked in 3-hour blocks (includes set up/tear down): 12-3 PM, 3-6 PM, 6-9 PM. Additional time can be booked for a fee of $50 per hour for a single session. Half sessions (1.5-hour blocks) are available on weekdays only.
- Harkness Classroom will serve as a backstage area during performances and recording sessions.
- All external events require a Student Operations Staff Member (charged separately).
- No food or beverage is allowed in the main performance hall and absolutely no alcohol is permitted.
- Space is not available for storing equipment prior to or during an event.
- The venue is not available for special setup (i.e. equipment or decorations that require construction in the building or on its property, use of ladders, etc.).
- No outdoor setup of any kind (i.e. tables, tents, booths, etc.) may be placed on campus grounds.
- The Department of Music must be advised in advance of any rented equipment supplied by outside vendors.
- All items must be removed at the end of the event (i.e. programs, flowers, aisle runners, equipment, decorations, etc.).
- Garbage should be disposed of in the provided waste receptacles. Extra trash bags can be provided by request.
- CWRU is not responsible for any items left behind or stolen.
- Do not place anything on top of the keyboard instruments.
- The piano is available for use by professional musicians. The harpsichords and organ are not to be touched and cannot be removed from the stage.
- Be very careful when moving the keyboard instruments.
- Tossing/dropping rice, birdseed, confetti, or live flower petals is not permitted. Faux flower petals (interior) and bubbles (exterior) are permitted.
- No candles permitted.
- Tape, nails, staples, and glue cannot be used on any surface (walls, floors, woodwork, glass, bronze, stone, etc.).
- Electrical outlets are limited in number, please plan in advance. Two are located on the stage and along the wall where the chairs/stands are stacked.
- No pets or animals are permitted in the Chapel or on campus property.
- Payments from CWRU Departments can be charged to a Speedtype. All other payments can be made by PayPal after the invoice is received.
- Weddings: Visit the Harkness Chapel Weddings page.
- Questions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Small receptions can be held in the Harkness Chapel foyer and classroom but this option must be indicated on the reservation request
- Food inside the building is expressly prohibited without direct permission from the Department of Music
- Students giving recitals may bring their own refreshments, but before exiting the venue, all trash must be thrown away with the garbage bags placed outside in a designated area. Otherwise, custodial fees will be charged in the amount of $60.
- For direct support, please contact Nicholas Strawn, Performance and Operations Assistant, to submit a Special Event Notification Service Request Form (facilities, custodial, catering services), which requires 2 weeks advance notice.
Before You Leave
- Return instruments to the original location.
- DO NOT leave keyboard instruments over the stage air vents.
- Lock and cover the piano. Return it to stage right and parallel to the wall (do not block the backstage door).
- Neatly rack music stands/chairs and return them to the side vestibule.
- Dispose of all trash in the proper receptacles. Food waste should be cleaned up. Check both the lobby and audience areas.
- Classroom (if used): dispose of all trash and return desks or chairs to their original location.
- Turn off all the lights.
- Shut and lock the internal doors and windows.
*Failure to adhere to these policies will result in additional damage charges.
Reporting Concerns or Emergencies
For Department of Music Facilities, service requests, building access (card swipe), room reservations, key orders, instrumental lockers, practice rooms, secure rooms or storage areas (lockbox), and event logistics. Email email@example.com or call 216.368.2297.
Building or Classroom locked:
Call the CWRU Police non-emergency line at 216.368.3300 and present your reservation ID. CWRU affiliates must also provide their Network ID. Check with music office staff during regular business hours.
In the event of an emergency:
Call the CWRU Police emergency line at 216.368.3333. Do not call 911.
After-hours facilities and emergency maintenance:
Call Customer Service at 216.368.2580 (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, custodial) and report to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216.368.2297.
The Department of Music will notify Division of Public Safety about the opening and closing times for an event. Student operations staff are assigned and required for all external events to assist with unlocking doors, piano access, lighting, stage managing, and greeting guests. Event security is strongly recommended for events of more that 50 guests.
The Case Western Reserve University Division of Public Safety is dedicated to providing quality service, safety, and a positive educational experience for the campus community.
Contact CWRU Police
- Emergency: 216.368.3333
- Non-emergency: 216.368.3300
- Tip Line: 216.368.3331
- Non-Emergency Questions: email@example.com
Safe Ride Program: These vehicles operate between 6:00 PM and 3:00 AM and can be requested via a free app (visit saferide.case.edu; call 216.368.3000, or download "CWRU Spartan Ride" from the iPhone App Store or Google Play).
Walking Escorts: Request a walking or vehicle escort 24/7 (any time day or night) by calling 216.368.3300.
Spartan Safe: (formally Rave Guardian) This safety app offers easy access to critical resources that you need the most. The free app—created through Rave Mobile Safety, which the university already uses to send emergency alerts via platforms such as email and text—provides a number of safety tools designed to keep you safe. Download Spartan Safe from the iPhone App Store or Google Play.